Author Topic: Rescue squad  (Read 10937 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Rescue squad
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »
Hi all

Wasn't Intending to compete in this group build but I saw the attached when watching a Glastonbury documentry a few weeks back and that started a brain worm.

The finished kit will not look much like the original,   but the influence is there.

I had a Whirlwind (well a Revell Chickasaw really) without its glazing which was a shoe in for this and gradually bit by bit the brain worm kept adding ideas and suggestions until I had a whole diorama planned.

Now while  its unlikely I will complete the diorama in time I'm going to try and finish the star vehicle ( yes a vehicle not an aircraft ! More scope for 'gubbins' ) in the time given. This in turn may be reduced as my mum is going in for a knee replacement, nevertheless I will do my best to finish on time.

Just a taster,  more detail and a sort of back story later.........

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:27:36 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Rescue squad
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »
This looks like it could be fun! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:36 AM »
That's the spirit  :smiley:

Great inspiration image

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »
Oh I do like the looks of this  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
Hi all

Not going to be much of a back story.

Basically the worst happens leaving man kind struggling to survive, a remote RAF supply depot is largely spared a direct hit but is devastated by a couple of remote near misses. Those below ground survive. Above ground most buildings are damaged some destroyed. Most of their transport is destroyed or damaged. All communications are lost, they are on there own.

They have enough  food and water for now and an abundant supply of fuel, they realise realise that there maybe a lot of people wandering in the wilderness or starving in villages, they need people to rebuild civilisation.

That's when the Rescue Squads were born each unit consisting a large  supply vehicle with a varying number of motorbikes that would venture into the wilderness to find people and bring them back.

The transport situation was dire, there were plenty of bikes to be found but supply vehicles such as large lorries or crew buses were in very short supply and so the mechanics descended on scrap heaps  and collected all things mechanical to construct something large enough to support a rescue squad...........

And so construction begins.

I have amassed probably the largest selection of parts of any project so far

by Robomog, on Flickr

Essentially this vehicle will be constructed from a disused shell of a Whirlind helicopter devoid of engine, gearbox and associated equipment which will be married to a diesel engine, wheels and transmission taken from the scrap heap. All unwanted equipment is stripped out, the tail is cut off and all the spaces behind the last bulkhead converted to storage. The area that contained the gearbox behind the cockpit will be have a lift up cover or will be deleted altogether to make way for an equipment rack.

More when it happens........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 05:24:37 AM »
Hi all

As this is going to be a diorama (eventually) the first thing I need to do is cut out the  areas that will be doors so that I can pose the scene of unloading and preparing for a search. The existing door will be shown open. A second door has been cut in the opposite side. The area over the rotor gearbox has been removed as I said before this may be discarded to make way for an equipment rack or hinged to make a cover.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Doors have been cut in the rear equipment bay area and another door will be cut to fill the hole where the tail was removed.

Unfortunately exposing all this interior means I'll have to detail said interior somewhat which you can see on the top half of the body shell. I will also have to construct some sort of racking to hold some of the gubbins.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 05:50:32 AM »
This is a great idea. Te interior ribbing looks good! Are you going to put the engine in the nose, like in the real helicopter?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:53:20 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
Yep the engine will be in the nose, a reasonable amount of room with the big radial gone and easy to get at with the doors open. (Although you wont see it, the front clamshells are staying shut)

Will probably do a drive chain to the rear wheels, I'm still trying to sort out the suspension and steering  :-\

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
People have put other helicopter fuselages on truck frames to make a sort of camper like vehicle so why not this? Looks cool!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Hi all

Completed all the framing detail, the cockpit is next then onto the internal detail before closing up.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Mum has just had her knee op so all systems stop at the moment but I should be back at the workbench soon.

More when it happens..........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 02:04:10 AM »
Looking good! And such a cool concept  :smiley:

... Mum has just had her knee op so all systems stop at the moment but I should be back at the workbench soon...

Hope the post-op goes well  :D

People have put other helicopter fuselages on truck frames to make a sort of camper like vehicle so why not this? Looks cool!

Yep ...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 05:42:44 AM »
Thanks Apophenia,  cool pic

Funnily enough I have just found a chassis that will fit under the helicopter body, from a AEC  Matador I think.

I was originally going to use a dune buggy style of suspension but I realised it wouldn't be much of a load carrier. Using a lorry chassis will give it some rigidity and be a stronger structure to hang everything off of

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:52:40 PM by Robomog »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
Nice work so far.

Right in the spirit of things :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 04:12:04 PM »
Great work, 'mog! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 02:30:41 AM »
... Using a lorry chassis will give it some rigidity and be a stronger structure to hang everything off of ...

Good call Mog. Lorry or bus frame is the way to go. Your AEC  Matador chassis sounds ideal  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 03:21:28 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-53 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:43:49 AM by Kerick »

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 03:33:55 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-56 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……

Which kit is that?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2021, 04:17:33 AM »
I’ve got a 1/48th CH-56 kit I bought on sale because someone started it and returned it to the store. Might just work for this sort of thing. Hmmmmm……

Is that a S-56 (CH-37) Mojave   ???

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 04:32:59 AM »
It’s the Navy Sea Stallion. Not the latest version. Not sure what kit as I’m on vacation and not able to check. Perhaps stalemates might help. Let me check.

Update:
Major brain fart. CH-53 Sea Stallion. Probably Revell.
Someone started painting some of the small parts but the fuselage and rotors are fine. Nothing that couldn’t be removed. We’ll see what happens next.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:48:29 AM by Kerick »

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »
No problem.  For second there I was hoping you somehow found a 1/48 AH-56 kit...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
Now that would be something!
I would like to find a replacement bulged canopy for the 1/72 scale ones I got from Atlantis.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Nice work on the interior detail.  :smiley:

<....> I would like to find a replacement bulged canopy for the 1/72 scale ones I got from Atlantis.

Didn't Anigrand do a 1/72 resi. Cheyenne? I believe they always had an option where you could get additional vac-form canopies for very reasonable amounts of money.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Robomog

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi all

My mum is amazing she is really pushing to get back on her feet again and we have to make sure she doesn't push it too much, so good news.

Also managed to get some bench time in woo hoo !

by Robomog, on Flickr

As you can see I have painted and weathered the internal components, adapted the cockpit for road travel and manufactured the rear storage shelves so I'm almost ready to start assembling.

On the down side I fumbled one of the rear doors, didn't catch it in my lap, heard it click on the floor and it was gone ! 

How can you loose a component nearly 1cm square !  god knows where it bounced too but i cant find it so I'm going to have to devise a less elegant solution to the rear doors........  baa humbug !

More when it happens........

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:02:06 AM by Robomog »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »
Start looking for something else and then you’ll find that part!