Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

3D Printing Tips and Techniques

<< < (2/11) > >>

robunos:
Okay, so my first question.
Where is best to site a 3D printer, both in terms of position in the room, for access, ventilation, etc. and what it stands on, furniture wise.
The Elegoo manual, I have a Mars 2 Pro, is less than useful here, it mentions that the printer should not be subjected to 'shaking', I assume that means vibration, and I also see that the unit has levelling feet. I also assume therefore, that the printer has to be set level horizontally, in order to print properly.

cheers,
Robin.

Buzzbomb:

--- Quote from: robunos on July 31, 2021, 02:06:14 AM ---Okay, so my first question.
Where is best to site a 3D printer, both in terms of position in the room, for access, ventilation, etc. and what it stands on, furniture wise.
The Elegoo manual, I have a Mars 2 Pro, is less than useful here, it mentions that the printer should not be subjected to 'shaking', I assume that means vibration, and I also see that the unit has levelling feet. I also assume therefore, that the printer has to be set level horizontally, in order to print properly.
cheers,
Robin.

--- End quote ---

No clear direct answer from my point of view, but you are correct about being level as a base starting point. Most printers have a leveling procedure as part of the manual. FDM printers also relied on heat, so advice was to keep out of draughts or in a box to keep a stable environment. Where it goes will typically rely on space. Resin printers for instance, seem to need two units, the printer and the washing/curing station for optimum use. Washing can be done elsewhere likewise, curing can be done outside, but I have heard mixed reports on the efficiency of both those options. Resin printing does also appear to be somewhat messier than FDM because of the multistep process of printing, washing and curing.

My personal solution was to put it in a cupboard, so I have a printer cupboard in my workshop, which because I have the environment to do that, works. It keeps the printer, setup and level, warm when in operation, quieter and more to the point, very out of the way when not being used.

I have thought many times about getting a 3D Resin printer, but as quite a number of my modelling buddies have them, I thought what's the point, I can use their gear and pay them for the small amount of Resin printing I might ever need to get done.

BTW, great gadgets. Really like the wheel Centre device. Much sleeker than the one I found.
How legal is resin money  ;D

Frank3k:
Unlike FDM printers, the Elegoo itself doesn't shake when printing; it only has one motor that moves vertically (in the Z axis). You do want the printer level (you don't want the resin to slop over an edge) but more importantly, you want the build plate to be parallel to the FEP and screen.

As far as location, a sturdy table that doesn't vibrate every time someone walks by should work.

You want it near a window or near good ventilation, since some resins can have a strong smell.

You also want the resin temperature to stay constant and above 68F/20C

If you place the printer near a window, make sure it doesn't get sunlight or any UV on it. The clear plastic cover will block much but not all UV light. If you get a few hours of Sun on the printer, it may start curing the resin in the vat.
An opaque box over the printer or a darkened room should be enough.
You can see my "lab" setup here. The resin printer is in the black enclosure... which has a clear window in the flap. I covered it up.
Brian's setup with the doors would work well with a resin printer.

You can leave the resin in the vat for a few days, as long as it doesn't get ambient UV exposure.

Use a "waste" container for resin that was in the vat, and strain it; never pour it back in the original container. Keep it in a dark place and reuse it.

Frank3k:
Great resin printing FAQ

GTX_Admin:
Great thread guys. :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version