Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130132 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2021, 04:14:29 AM »
I would be like you, run off & grab the camera for a photo, but most people in Australia run off for other reasons. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2021, 05:55:08 AM »
Those are great pictures! What camera & lens? Did you post process in Lightroom or Raw Therapee?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2021, 06:17:09 AM »
I would be like you, run off & grab the camera for a photo, but most people in Australia run off for other reasons. ;)

Just some of the wildlife around the yard. That's why I can't leave the garage door open.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #353 on: September 05, 2021, 06:37:49 AM »
Those are great pictures! What camera & lens? Did you post process in Lightroom or Raw Therapee?

Thanks!

I have a Nikon D7100 and D7500. I use the D7100 with a Sigma 18-250mm for the model photos. I also use that same set up for landscape at 18mm and sometimes macro at 250mm. I also have a Sigma 120-400mm that I use with the D7100 for wildlife but haven't used that combination in years. Lately, I have only been using the D7500 with a Nikon 200-400mm for most of the wildlife photos. The snake photos though were taken with a Tokina 100mm macro lens with the Nikon D7500 on a Zomei tripod. I used the 100mm lens on this particular snake because it is non poisonous. It will still bite but this one was really shy and kept hiding in the rocks. In the photo showing the full length, I was about 8 feet away so it felt safe enough to come out of the rocks.

I don't shoot in RAW as I don't have a decent RAW editor. I only have Photoshop Elements 12 and it only has a watered down version of the RAW editor. I would need better software like the full version of Adobe Photoshop CS6 or CC but those are way too expensive for me. Adobe Lightroom has a decent RAW editor which is a bit more affordable but still too pricey for me. Nik has a RAW editor which is also a bit more affordable but still can't afford it just yet. I had the older version of the Nik editor but mine wasn't compatible with the D7100 or D7500 so it wasn't of any use to me. RAW files are huge though but I am not a professional so shooting in RAW isn't really worth it. I shoot in large JPEG format which is good enough for me as an amateur.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Your GMV is coming along beautifully  :smiley:

But that head-shot of the Eastern Garter Snake is another matter   :icon_nif:

Perfect composition - right down to a dried leaf echoing the snake's head. Absolutely in focus (except for the flickering tongue for drama).

Come on! We can recognize a tame Garter Snake trained up as a photographer's model when we see one  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2021, 08:02:52 AM »
Your GMV is coming along beautifully  :smiley:

But that head-shot of the Eastern Garter Snake is another matter   :icon_nif:

Perfect composition - right down to a dried leaf echoing the snake's head. Absolutely in focus (except for the flickering tongue for drama).

Come on! We can recognize a tame Garter Snake trained up as a photographer's model when we see one  ;D

Thanks! I just need to paint and add the ammo belts and it will be done.

The snake is a battery operated toy  ;) ;)

I live in the middle of the woods in the mountains of PA. We have a lot of toads and frogs in the yard so it was just looking for a meal. It moved on about an hour later. This one is non poisonous but we do have rattlers and copperheads though but luckily, so far, I haven't seen any in the yard just yet. The neighbor just up the street has seen the rattlers an copperheads though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #356 on: September 06, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
OK! Finally decided on the RWS for the STRV-103C what if. The RWS is an amalgamation of the Live Resin 35307, 35304 and 35240 sets. The base with the smoke dischargers is 35240, the ammo can, gun, gun mount and gun covers are from 35304 and the optic system is from 35307. I messed them all up trying to make them into what if RWS's so decided to use all the parts together to make one workable set.

Here are the Live Resin sets I used to combine into one RWS.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #357 on: September 07, 2021, 03:48:20 AM »
I have a Nikon D7100 and D7500. I use the D7100 with a Sigma 18-250mm for the model photos. I also use that same set up for landscape at 18mm and sometimes macro at 250mm

Thanks for the info. Your pictures always look great. I'm disappointed that my iPhone pictures look as good or better than the ones I take with my Sony NEX-6 and some nice old SLR lenses. Maybe I haven't set the camera up correctly.

I'll occasionally shot in RAW, but even for jpegs that I want to look better than normal, I use a free program called RawTherapee. It's not a pixel editor, but does a great job at correcting images.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #358 on: September 07, 2021, 04:11:49 AM »
Inclusion of a dust cover over the machine gun makes perfect sense and it takes away some of the easy to recognize features that would be associated with the size and type of weapon in the RWS mount.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #359 on: September 07, 2021, 04:34:01 AM »
I have a Nikon D7100 and D7500. I use the D7100 with a Sigma 18-250mm for the model photos. I also use that same set up for landscape at 18mm and sometimes macro at 250mm

Thanks for the info. Your pictures always look great. I'm disappointed that my iPhone pictures look as good or better than the ones I take with my Sony NEX-6 and some nice old SLR lenses. Maybe I haven't set the camera up correctly.

I'll occasionally shot in RAW, but even for jpegs that I want to look better than normal, I use a free program called RawTherapee. It's not a pixel editor, but does a great job at correcting images.

Thanks for the link to the RAW editor. I will check it out. I just saved it in my bookmarks.

Yes, some of those new iPhones and Android phones rival some of the DSLR's. I have seen some incredible photos from phone cameras.

My Nikon DSLR's are middle of the road. They are OK for amateurs but professionals need better equipment. The equipment I have can't compete with the professional equipment. The camera doesn't make the photographer though. A real professional photographer can take incredible photos with the stuff I have but my stuff still can't actually compete with the actual professional grade equipment. There are limitations to my DSLR's where the professional equipment rival mine.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #360 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:47 AM »
Inclusion of a dust cover over the machine gun makes perfect sense and it takes away some of the easy to recognize features that would be associated with the size and type of weapon in the RWS mount.  :smiley:

The covers make a big difference in the overall appearance of the RWS. The RWS I used is kit bashed with three different sets though and not fully satisfied with the optics but it is staying as is. I am tired of trying different systems and this is it. It took me 10 months to finally get the RWS to where I kind of like it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
RWS looks pretty good to me! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #362 on: October 03, 2021, 01:39:16 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2021, 02:02:30 AM »
Back in January, 2019, I got this Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZTL-11 kit. The box top looked fine but the bottom was crushed. Looks like someone stepped on it. The seller replaced the broken kit with a completely new kit. Here is the broken kit.

I opened the box and found the front of the upper fuselage completely snapped off.

The bottom was cracked in two places.

Here it is taped together. You can see a piece missing from the side of the front upper hull. It wasn't in the bag or the box. Looks like the kit might have already been broken before they bagged it and boxed it up because that missing piece was no where to be found.

I am trying to salvage the kit as it is still mostly complete except that one missing broken piece. I plan to try to make it into a what if build. I have a Revell 1/35 SPz Puma but I mostly only got it for the remote turret. If I can salvage the ZTL-11 I plan to use the Puma turret on it. Only problem is, the ZTL-11 turret ring sits too far forward and looks real goofy.

My plan is to move the turret ring further back so it looks more presentable.

I had to cut off the upper hull section where the turret ring is so I can rebuild it with plastic card. I also removed the engine exhaust vents. They will be placed forward of the new remote turret next to the driver, similar to how the Merkava and M113 placed their engines. Here is the ZTL-11 with the turret ring and exhaust vents removed.

The ZTL-11 is a huge vehicle. In 1/35 it is just under 9.5 inches.

Here it is side by side with a Tamiya 1/35 M1025 for size comparison.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2021, 12:54:11 AM »
Well, I changed my mind once again. That's typical for me. I decided to save the Revell SPz Puma turret for something else. I will be using the original turret from the Hobby Boss ZTL-11 kit but in a different location. The way the turret sits on the ZTL-11, to me it sits too far forward so I am shifting it more to the rear.

Here is the original position of the turret.

Here is my proposed relocated turret position. To me, it looks better further back.

Here is my in progress with the original turret relocated.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #365 on: October 04, 2021, 01:52:46 AM »
Nice subtle modification that looks pretty good.  The only issue with moving the turret further to the rear is the loss of gun depression when firing over the front of the vehicle.  Other than that it looks good!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2021, 02:37:51 AM »
That is a beast of a vehicle! It's slightly larger than a Boxer or Centauro. Good save on the crushed front; you can disguise the damage  by adding swing out side plates like the ones on T-64 and other Russian tanks.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2021, 05:57:56 AM »
Nice subtle modification that looks pretty good.  The only issue with moving the turret further to the rear is the loss of gun depression when firing over the front of the vehicle.  Other than that it looks good!

Agreed. But it does look good  :smiley:

With all the mod work already put in, I'd live with the loss of depression. But, for future builds, another option for adjusting the proportions of the ZTL-11 would be slicing a section out of the forward hull.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #368 on: October 04, 2021, 06:42:38 AM »

Thanks! Yes, it does lose a few degrees depression but not much. I am more interested in the aesthetics than the function  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #369 on: October 04, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
That is a beast of a vehicle! It's slightly larger than a Boxer or Centauro. Good save on the crushed front; you can disguise the damage  by adding swing out side plates like the ones on T-64 and other Russian tanks.

Thanks! I only have the Hobby Boss ZTL-11 kit. I don't have any kits of the Boxer.  I thought the Boxer was bigger than the ZTL though but I just looked them up and they are almost exactly the same length. The Boxer is 7.93 meters and the ZTL-11 is 8 meters, roughly 26 feet. In photos, the Boxer looks massive though compared to the ZTL. I knew the ZTL was big but didn't think it was the same as the Boxer. I do have a Trumpeter Centauro but never compared the ZTL to it. Comparing to my Centauro now, the ZTL is longer than the Centauro. Looking up the Centauro, it says it is 7.85 meters. That is roughly 25 feet 9 inches. The Centauro is slightly smaller.

I will have to add some thin plastic card over the busted up areas as I don't think any amount of filling and sanding will get rid of those seam lines. I guess the new plastic card could be bolted on steel plates or something like that as added armor plating.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #370 on: October 04, 2021, 06:59:42 AM »

Agreed. But it does look good  :smiley:

With all the mod work already put in, I'd live with the loss of depression. But, for future builds, another option for adjusting the proportions of the ZTL-11 would be slicing a section out of the forward hull.

I was thinking of cutting the mid section of the ZTL to make the wheels closer together like the ones in the front and rear. That is a lot more complicated work though.

Here is my proposal for relocating the turret further back and also showing the mid section I was thinking of removing.

Here is what it would look like if I did remove the mid section. This shows the turret already moved back but by removing the mid section, it looks almost the same before I relocated the turret. The hull does look better with the mid section removed but then I would have to move the turret even further back.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #371 on: October 04, 2021, 10:31:25 PM »
Got the sheet plastic cut to shape to fit the upper hull for the relocated turret. The turret ring still needs to cut in the new location. The new sheet plastic on the upper hull still needs to be glued in place, filled and sanded flush.

Test fitting the turret with the main gun installed. I used the 105mm main gun from the Hobby Boss PTL-02 because it has the thermal sleeve on it. I also used the mantlet cover from the PTL-02 to fit the main gun properly on the turret.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #372 on: October 05, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
Bolt-on plates or reactive armour across the front, Ramba? ???

Looking good! :smiley:

But so would the stubby version. ;)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #373 on: October 06, 2021, 02:41:53 AM »
I was surprised at how large the Strv-103 is. I was expecting something around M113 Lynx (I don't know why - I knew about the 105mm gun), but its actually closer in footprint to Leopard 1 than a 113.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #374 on: October 06, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
Bolt-on plates or reactive armour across the front, Ramba? ???

Looking good! :smiley:

But so would the stubby version. ;)

Thanks!

No stubby version as it is a lot of extra work that I don't want to do. Yes, I am going to add some bolt on plates. That's a lot easier than trying to fill and sand all those gaps.