Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 134067 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2021, 11:05:25 PM »
That stowage looks great; I always like seeing vehicles looking 'busy' with stuff. One of my favourite things about building in 1/35 is adding all the little details.
Never used camo decals for figures before - how easy are they to apply?

Thanks! Yeah, I like the look of the loaded vehicles too. I was told they are only fully loaded in the opening days of the war though. They rarely carry full loads on regular patrols. They will also have full loads if going on long patrols that last a few days or so. On regular patrols that last a few hours to a day they might only have small day packs so the vehicles won't be fully packed.

Applying the camo decals is a very long and tedious job. My first time applying camo decals took me 4.5 hours just for one figure.

I cut the decals into small pieces. Easier to apply that way. Here is an example showing the small pieces I cut the decals into.

I usually prime the figure first then gloss coat it before applying the camo decals. Here are some of the products I use. The Micro Sol and Micro Set are to help get the decals to conform to the creases and folds. I sometimes also use a pin to prick a tiny hole in the decals if they don't set into the creases and folds. The tiny hole is to let out the air under the decals and also for the Micro Sol or Micro Set to get under the decals so they can conform better. I don't use both the Micro Sol and Micro Set, I use one or the other. To me I don't really see a difference so I usually just use which ever one I grab first. I haven't used the Solvaset on the camo decals yet as it is very aggressive setting solution. I have used it on some aircraft models though. Not shown is the Microscale liquid decal film. I apply a layer of the Microscale liquid decal film over the decal sheet before using. The decal ink/colors tends to rub off on the sharp edges so a coat of the Microscale liquid decal film helps prevent that. I just use a wide brush and hand brush it on the decal sheet.

Here is one of my figures with the decals applied on the legs.

Some examples of my completed figures with the camo decals.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
Got all these ready to be primed. Not all parts shown as they are separate for easier priming/painting.

Trumpeter 1/35 STRV-103C converted to a what if.

Revell 1/35 TPz 1 FUCHS A4 converted to a what if.

Academy 1/35 M551.

Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZSD89 APC.

Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZSL-92B IFV.

Trumpeter 1/35 LAV-25 Piranha. This one still needs a few smaller parts here and there before it's ready for priming but will get it done today.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2021, 10:14:17 PM »
 :D :D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2021, 12:02:44 AM »

Trumpeter 1/35 STRV-103C converted to a what if.

That's a really slick idea, particularly as a reconnaissance vehicle.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2021, 01:36:16 AM »
That's a really slick idea, particularly as a reconnaissance vehicle.

Thanks! Haven't gotten much done on it. It's been raining a lot here for the last three weeks so no priming done at all. I can only paint outside so gotta wait for the rain to stop.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2021, 01:41:37 AM »
Started the weathering on the Skif 1/35 2S1. Still have to do the turret, wheels and tracks.

I am using the photo of the Finnish 2S1 for the weathering reference.

I used AK dust and dirt deposits and Mig splashes.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2021, 01:52:41 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2021, 01:57:44 AM »
Very good! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

Offline Ramba

« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »
Got the turret done. Just the wheels and tracks left.

I forgot to paint the black on the road wheels so I have to do that before I can weather them.

The tracks are black rubber and I want to try to get them to look similar to the second photo below. I have never weathered tracks before so I will have to experiment on them.

I do have the AK track wash and will use that on these tracks. Link to the AK track wash. https://ak-interactive.com/product/track-wash/

Offline Ramba

« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2021, 01:47:31 AM »
Finally got four more primed today. It has been raining almost every day for the last three weeks so am lucky I got outside today with no rain. They all need some small touch ups here and there as I used spray can primer. I will use the airbrush to touch up the missed areas. There are three more I need to get primed but it is extremely hot and humid out today. It was 82F with 97% humidity and with all the rain lately, a lot of mosquitoes were out too. With the heat, humidity and mosquitoes, it was way too uncomfortable to get the other three primed today. Supposed to rain tomorrow and every day into Tuesday next week so I won't get the other three primed until sometime later next week, hopefully.

First one up is the Dragon 1/35 M1A1HA USMC kit. This was built around 2006 if I remember correctly but I did it in overall sand during OIF. My niece smashed it into quite a few pieces but I salvaged it and am repainting it in the three color NATO camo scheme but still for OIF. It will have the mine plough but as usual, I always forget to prime/paint something and of course it was the mine plough this time.

This is the USMC M1A1 I will be doing.

I have the Archer dry transfers for the D/2. I can't read the barrel name on the real one so will have to skip it but at least I have the D/2 markings.

Next up is the Academy 1/35 M551. This will also be in the three color NATO camo scheme but for Operation Just Cause, Panama.

I have the Echelon Operation Just Cause decals which I will be using.

Third is the Trumpeter 1/35 Strv 103C converted to a what if. Not sure exactly what camo scheme this will be in yet. Still thinking about it. At least I got it primed though.

Last is the Revell TPz1 Fuchs converted to a what if. Also not sure exactly what camo scheme this will be in yet. Again, at least I got it primed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:49:22 AM by Ramba »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2021, 09:33:06 AM »
Progress on all fronts, then. Nice!  :smiley:

Really like the weird sand effect on the Abrams.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #312 on: August 25, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
Swedish splinter for the 103, one of the coolest camo's around for one of the coolest whifs around! 8)

It will have the mine plough but as usual, I always forget to prime/paint something and of course it was the mine plough this time.

There's always something, isn't there! ;)

Here's hoping the weather stays good! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »
Progress on all fronts, then. Nice!  :smiley:

Really like the weird sand effect on the Abrams.

Thanks! Yeah, that sand effect really caught my eye. I have never done any weathering like that before so not sure how I will do it but thinking pigments is probably the best way. If anything, I might have to go with a clean version before they got all dusty.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #314 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »
Swedish splinter for the 103, one of the coolest camo's around for one of the coolest whifs around! 8)

It will have the mine plough but as usual, I always forget to prime/paint something and of course it was the mine plough this time.

There's always something, isn't there! ;)

Here's hoping the weather stays good! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

I was thinking doing it in the splinter camo but so much masking  ;D ;D ;D

There is always something as you said especially with me. I sometimes rush things and always end up forgetting something. Yesterday I rushed because the humidity and mosquitoes were absolutely horrible and unbearable. The mine plough parts were in the box with the M1A1 when I took them out to prime them but just totally forgot about them. If the rain holds off I will try to get the mine plough primed today.

Odd thing though, I did remember to prime the LAV-AT wheels yesterday that I forgot about a few weeks ago  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2021, 01:42:59 AM »
It was nice and cool this morning with no rain so I went back out and  got two more primed today. I had to prep them for priming so I didn't get out when it was nice and cool. By the time I actually got outside, it was hot and humid again. Wouldn't you know it, I totally forgot about priming the Dragon M1A1 mine plough again today. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I know Old Wombat will be ribbing me for forgetting it once again.

First up is the Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZSD 89 APC. As you can see, I missed a few spots as the spray can couldn't get into those areas.

Not looking forward to the tracks on the ZSD 89 APC. Hobby Boss supplied a bag full of individual track links. I will be putting this one off for as long as possible  ;D ;D ;D

Next up is the Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZSL-92B IFV. Again, you can see some missed spots on this one as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 01:47:37 AM by Ramba »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2021, 04:17:49 AM »
The painting looks good. The individual tracks, not so much. Did they include an assembly guide to make it easier to assemble them?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:46 AM »
The painting looks good. The individual tracks, not so much. Did they include an assembly guide to make it easier to assemble them?

Thanks! All the ones primed yesterday and today won't get camo painted this year unfortunately. I don't have enough time before summer ends as I can only paint outside. If I get a few nice days before winter hits I might be able to get maybe one more actually painted. We have very long winters here so I am just glad to at least get them primed for now. This year was very productive for me, I got 18 total primed and out of the 18 primed, I got 11 painted with camo over the primer. That's a lot for me but even though I got 11 camo painted, I still haven't actually totally completed any. They still need some small stuff assembled/painted, weathering, stowage and then a flat coat. So far, only one that I started the weathering on, the Skif 2S1 I showed a few posts ago. Some have tracks and some have wheels. The wheels are much easier to weather so the tracked vehicles will be the last ones done as I have never weathered tracks before. Some of the tracks are rubber and some are plastic. The plastic tracks will be easier to weather over the rubber ones. I will watch some video tutorials on how to do the rubber tracks properly. Hopefully I can get the other 7 I primed camo painted next year.

Hobby Boss shows only one step for the tracks. It says 77 links per side. I haven't opened the bag of links yet so I am hoping they are all there.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #318 on: August 26, 2021, 05:38:30 AM »
I think building a track assembly jig like this Trumpeter one will help you keep your sanity. The UN may rule that individual track link assembly without a tool is considered a form a torture.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #319 on: August 26, 2021, 07:35:43 AM »
All are certainly coming along

Offline Ramba

« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »
I think building a track assembly jig like this Trumpeter one will help you keep your sanity. The UN may rule that individual track link assembly without a tool is considered a form a torture.

Yes, indy links are cruel and unusual punishment. Thanks for the link. Looks like a really useful tool. Kind of pricey for me though but will definitely try to see if I can fashion something to help me assemble the tracks.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #321 on: August 26, 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
All are certainly coming along

Thanks! Hoping to get at least one more primed tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #322 on: August 26, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »
I forgot to show what the Hobby Boss 1/35 PLA ZSD 89 APC camo will look like. I am going with the one from the Hobby Boss camo painting guide.

Here is a real one with a slightly different pattern but same camo colors.

I will also be using the Hobby Boss camo painting guide for PLA ZSL-92B. It uses the same colors as the ZSD 89 APC.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #323 on: August 26, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
I know Old Wombat will be ribbing me for forgetting it once again.

Moi? ???

With the amount of things I forget or bugger up? :-[

Not likely! ;D

Indy link tracks! :o

Gods, how I hate them! :icon_twisted:

But, damn, they look so much better than vinyl! :-*

Offline Ramba

« Reply #324 on: August 26, 2021, 11:07:59 PM »
I know Old Wombat will be ribbing me for forgetting it once again.

Moi? ???

With the amount of things I forget or bugger up? :-[

Not likely! ;D

Indy link tracks! :o

Gods, how I hate them! :icon_twisted:

But, damn, they look so much better than vinyl! :-*

;D ;D ;D I was just joking!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I forget more and more things lately, getting older sucks!

Yes, indy links suck too. I made a Dragon MLRS way, way back in the mid 1990's but it only had a few indy links, some were already length. I never weathered the MLRS though. Back then all my builds looked new, just out of the factory. I only recently got back into armor since 2018 and did assemble some indy links from the Panda 2S6M Tunguska and Dragon BMP-2 kits. The Dragon BMP-2 tracks weren't really that bad. The Panda Tunguska tracks has 8 parts trees with 31 links per tree, that's 248 indy links. Panda also had the center guides separate and inserting 248 center guides in each individual link was a real buzz kill. I started the Panda tracks in March 6, 2020 and I stopped in March 6, 2020 after only assembling a few as I was not in the mood to continue any further and I still haven't finished assembling them.

Panda 2S6M Tunguska indy tracks and center guides. Last photo shows where I stopped at and as you can see, I didn't get that many done.