Author Topic: Last Aid from the Luftwaffe  (Read 2473 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Last Aid from the Luftwaffe
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
Guerra Civil: Last Aid from the Luftwaffe

Bottom A Messerschmitt Bf 109G-14/AS of the Aviación Nacional's escuadrilla 2-E-6 (formerly 2 Staffel J./88 of the Condor Legion). Operating from newly-captured aeródromo Albacete, this aircraft was lost to anti-aircraft fire outside of Requena in September 1945.

This Messerschmitt is finished in the same scheme as similar 'Gustavs' supplied to the Italian RSI. Spanish Nationalist markings are the last of the esquema clásico (other fighters in the same unit worn the simplied, late-style markings). The fuselage roundels of número 6 have been over-marked with el yugo y las flechas of the Falange Española de las J.O.N.S.

Earlier versions of this fascist symbol were rendered in Falangist red-and-black but, as the conflict dragged on, the use of red on Aviación Nacional combat aircraft was actively discouraged. Still, that hasn't stopped a red personal emblem from being applied to the cowling. The cowling badge is the emblem of the Servicio Exterior de Falange suggesting that the pilot was one of the rare Latin American volunteers for the Aviación Nacional.

Top Spain received four 'long-nosed' Focke Wulfs - two each of Fw 190D-0s and 'D-1s - for familiarization in anticipation of Fw 190D-9 deliveries. No 'D-9s ever arrived and it was decided to turn over the three surviving trial Focke Wulfs for operational use. [1] Accordingly the Aviación Nacional formed 'destacamento Fw' as a detachment of escuadrilla 1-E-8. This det consisted of this sole Focke Wulf Fw 190D-1 and a pair of 'D-0s.

This lone 'D-1 served only two weeks, flying from an advance airfield at Zaragoza. On 24 July 1945, número 3 collided with a Lavochkin La-7 defending Huesca. The pilot, Ten Julián Gutiérrez bailed out successfully but was killed on the ground by Republican milicianos.

The basic LUftwaffe scheme has been partly over-painted with RLM 26 but this Braun has faded to an odd purplish-pink in the harsh Spanish sun. Before delivery to 1-E-8, random blotches of locally available marrón medio have been sprayed over all upper surfaces. Nationalist markings are of the late variety. The yellow emblem on the cowling is believed to be associated with the AN's test unit, la Sección de Aerodinámica. The significance of the five beer bottle labels on the fin is unclear. These have been interpreted as victory markings but, at the time of his demise, Teniente Gutiérrez only had three confirmed 'kills'.

[1] One Fw 190D-1 had been written-off after a heavy landing while under test by the  Sección de Aerodinámica. This airframe was scrapped, creating a source of spares for the AN's remaining 'orphan' Focke Wulfs.

The Focke Wulf is based on an online Fw 190D-9 profile (which was obviously scanned from a book) with undercarriage and canopy from a D-12 and bits/bobs from other profiles. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the name of the artist. The Messerschmitt was pinched from the great Claes Sundin with an added Spiralschnauze from Siman Schatz.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:05:15 AM by apophenia »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Last Aid from the Luftwaffe
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 02:44:16 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 06:30:42 AM »
They're both great and I think the FW's camo is especially well suited for Spain.

Well done, apophenia!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
Thanks folks. I'm thinking of doing a few more (semi) quickies of this GB ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Beautiful, indeed. Dora is just perfect :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 02:51:14 AM »
How dis I miss this before?
They are both great - but I'm a fan of 109s with Erla Haube!