Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Air-to-air missiles

<< < (4/5) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Interesting discussion.  Of course in the real world you essentially see this (visually at least) with the following:

AIM-4:

Length   1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)
Diameter   163 mm (6.4 in)

AIM-54:

Length   4.0 m (13 ft)
Diameter   380 mm(15 in)

And other variations including the AAM-N-10 Eagle (one you lose the booster):

Length   3.53 m (11 ft 7 in) without booster
Diameter   360 mm (14 in )

AGM-65 Maverick (as Jeff mentioned):

Length   249 cm (8 ft 2 in)
Diameter   30 cm (12 in)

AGM-124 Wasp:

Length : 1.52 m (5 ft)
Diameter : 20 cm (8 in)

GTX_Admin:
Random idea:

MIM-72 Chaparral but with AIM-4 derived missiles rather than AIM-9

but with these:

Jeffry Fontaine:
A short video put out by the USAF AFRL on their MUTANT (Missile UtilityTransformation via Articulated Nose Technology) program.  Catchy name MUTANT but it deserves to be called something much more related to what it does.  Something with a lot of SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS's perhaps?  SSSSSSSnake?  :smiley:

YouTube video link: Youtube > AFResearchLab Channel >  AFRL MUTANT

(Image source: USAF AFRL MUTANT)

Link to USAF AFRL MUTANT Fact File and PDF download link

In the video above one of the test units is shown on a high-speed test track and the seeker is attached/mated to the motor section of an AGM-114 Hellfire missile.  The animation in the video showing the MUTANT intercepting a cruise missile appears to be based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM.  I am going to guess that the flexible connection is the same diameter for both missiles which does make sense since the AIM-120 and AGM-114 are roughly the same diameter. 

Old Wombat:
I like that! :smiley:

Perhaps some small fins on the head to improve tracking onto the target? ???

Kerick:
I have some huge 1/32nd scale Phoenix missiles I’m trying to reimagine as maybe long range cruise missiles or some such thing. In 1/72 scale they would be ginormous. Or some crappy ancient Tamiya 1/48th scale Mavericks. Any thoughts? The Phoenixes are nicely detailed so if someone can make good use of them I’ll send them along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version