Author Topic: RAAF English Electric Canberra 'SLEP Program'  (Read 30672 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: RAAF English Electric Canberra 'SLEP Program'
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2019, 02:56:04 AM »
Australia also had a few Canberras spare in the mid-late-1960s after they had been replaced by the F-111s.

Mid to late '60s?  Only if we change the timeline further.  The RAAF F-111s didn't arrive in Australia until 1973 (hence why we had F-4Es from 1970-73).  The Canberras might have started being offered in the early '70s at best.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
Australia also had a few Canberras spare in the mid-late-1960s after they had been replaced by the F-111s.

Mid to late '60s?  Only if we change the timeline further.  The RAAF F-111s didn't arrive in Australia until 1973 (hence why we had F-4Es from 1970-73).  The Canberras might have started being offered in the early '70s at best.

Canberra squadrons started disbanding in the late 1960s.  No 1 Squadron ceased operating Canberras in 1968.  No.6 Squadron ceased operating Canberras in 1970.  No.2 operated the Canberra until 1982.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2019, 02:07:54 AM »
Canberra squadrons started disbanding in the late 1960s.  No 1 Squadron ceased operating Canberras in 1968.  No.6 Squadron ceased operating Canberras in 1970.  No.2 operated the Canberra until 1982.

Check your facts:

• No1 & 6 SQNs did not relinquish their Canberras until 1970 (late 1970 at that) - yes conversion training may have commenced with crews of No.1 SQN earlier but they were still operating Canberras until 1970
  • The first RAAF Canberras were not approved for disposal until late 1971 and actual disposal was not until 1972 if not later

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
I did check my facts.  Obviously the websites I gleaned that information from was wrong, Greg.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
We don't seem to have a Canberra ideas and inspiration topic so I hope no one objects to me using this one.

How about a fighter version of the Canberra, not just radar fitted etc. but more along the lines of the Hornet vs the Mustang, or the Cobra verses the Huey?

Canberra wings and engines with a narrow diameter fuselage, tandem cockpit, radar, cannons, etc.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2019, 11:32:46 PM »
We don't seem to have a Canberra ideas and inspiration topic so I hope no one objects to me using this one.

It would appear that your search was incomplete: Beyond The Sprues » Modelling » Ideas & Inspiration » Aero-space » English Electric and Martin B-57 Canberra
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »
Thanks

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »
I wonder if the wing of the Canberra would support the weight of a RB04?

Well they could support AS.30s which isn't that far removed in size:

So going by these pictures, the Nord AS.30 missile never required an aircraft-mounted radar to support its targeting/guidance?

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 12:46:40 AM »

So going by these pictures, the Nord AS.30 missile never required an aircraft-mounted radar to support its targeting/guidance?

No it did not because the AS.30 AS-30 used a simple MCLOS guidance with the pilot aligning the flares located near the missile's rear with the target and controlling the missile in flight after launch with a small joystick, sending steering commands to the missile via a radio link. It was all visual.

The later AS.30L used laser guidance though:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2021, 01:46:54 AM »
The Airfix new mould 1/72 B.(I)8 has the AS-30's in the box ---

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »

No it did not because the AS.30 AS-30 used a simple MCLOS guidance with the pilot aligning the flares located near the missile's rear with the target and controlling the missile in flight after launch with a small joystick, sending steering commands to the missile via a radio link. It was all visual.

The later AS.30L used laser guidance though:

Thank you for the clarification GTX👍

MAD