Author Topic: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun  (Read 30363 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:03:26 AM »
Been away from the forums for a while. My father has been in and out of surgery so been back and forth to the doctors the last few weeks. I was also sick for the last two weeks.

Anyway, here is a 1/35 resin figure I got from China. I thought it looked cool holding the minigun. Here is how it comes.

As you can see, the resin barrels were warped so I switched them out with metal ones. The metal ones are way longer than the resin ones but look a 1,000 times better.

The MICH helmet with MTEK face armor came molded uneven so I have to get a new head to replace this one. This one is actually a copy of Live Resin and I have some original Live Resin heads with the MTEK face armor in my stash. These figures were really cheap so I got a few different ones. Turns out, most are copies of Live Resin and Legend. 
Here is the one that came with the figure.

Here is the original Live Resin helmet with optional parts on the left and the copy on the right.

The left arm came molded onto the body but the hand was separate. The left hand is molded to the minigun which has a really weird position when mated to the arm.
Here is the weird looking left arm.

I drilled out the end of the left arm and the end of the hand and put in a plastic rod so I could try to reposition the hand to a more natural looking position. You can see the plastic rod between the hand and arm. I will need to fill in with putty and shape it to match the rest of the arm.

Here is the figure holding the minigun, minus the head.

Here it is with the Live Resin helmet.

This is the camo I will be attempting hahahahaha! The camo is the US Army's current version. It is called OCP (Operational Camouflage Pattern). I will be using Vallejo Model Colors and hand painting it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:09:00 AM by Ramba »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:05:34 AM »
Looks like you're off to a great start!

I always enjoy figures and watching this one come together is a treat!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:08:31 AM »
Good luck with the camo. Ramba! :smiley:

I have both those figures sitting on my workspace, too. The Live Resin one is there for a repair job & the YUFAN one for construction. I saw & posted re: the "similarities" a while back. Both are allocated to the same Sci-Fi diorama. I'll be watching your mini-gunner build with interest (although the moulding seems to be cleaner on mine than yours).

Good work! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
Wicked looking M134 Gatling Gun with that brass barrel replacement. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:04 AM »
Good luck with the camo. Ramba! :smiley:

I have both those figures sitting on my workspace, too. The Live Resin one is there for a repair job & the YUFAN one for construction. I saw & posted re: the "similarities" a while back. Both are allocated to the same Sci-Fi diorama. I'll be watching your mini-gunner build with interest (although the moulding seems to be cleaner on mine than yours).

Good work! :D

Old Wombat, I just read the post you linked to. Unfortunately at the time I bought them I didn't know they were copies until after I got them but I had gotten a few at the same time. I got these sometime around December 2018 into early January 2019. I haven't gotten anymore since. I won't post anymore if it violates forum policy. Admins feel free to remove this topic.

Yes, my minigunner figure is pretty rough compared to the one they showed in the ad.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 06:13:59 AM »
I don't see a problem continuing to post your progress on this, Ramba, even though it's not an original kit. You're not selling them or promoting them, just building the kit. Besides, I'm probably not the only one with kits of dodgy provenance and own a few questionable eastern bloc re-pops.

I'm enjoying following along. Your work is always a delight.

Yours in moderation,

Brian da Basher

Offline Ramba

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
I don't see a problem continuing to post your progress on this, Ramba, even though it's not an original kit. You're not selling them or promoting them, just building the kit. Besides, I'm probably not the only one with kits of dodgy provenance and own a few questionable eastern bloc re-pops.

I'm enjoying following along. Your work is always a delight.

Yours in moderation,

Brian da Basher

Thanks Basher. I haven't gotten much done on the minigunner lately but worked on a different one. This one is a sniper with a Barrett .50cal.

Spring migration is starting very soon in my area so probably won't get much modeling done this month. I will be heading out soon to pursue my other hobby, wildlife photography. I will be looking for migrating birds and other wildlife.

Here are some from 2016 and 2017 taken in my yard. These will actually stay and nest here in the summer.
This one is a Rose-breasted Grosbeak (male) taken in the backyard.

This is a Scarlet Tanager (male) also taken in the backyard. These also stay and nest here in the summer.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (immature male) on Cardinal Flower from my garden. They also stay all summer long.

Chestnut-sided Warbler (male) from the local park. These nest at the park.

A mother Black Bear and her cubs also in the backyard taken in 2017. They are here year round.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
That’s an amazing back yard you have! Or do you border a national park?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
That’s an amazing back yard you have! Or do you border a national park?

I live in PA in the mountains in the middle of the woods. It is a neighborhood but in the middle of the woods. We live here year round but most neighbors only vacation here 1-2 weeks a year. There is a lot of construction going on the last two years though so less and less wildlife lately. The bear photo was taken in 2017 and I was seeing them almost daily. Last year I didn't see them once because there is heavy construction two roads up from me so the construction drove them away. It is a shame really as I really loved seeing the bears. There is a dry creek that runs along the edge of the property and the bears used to like cooling off in it in the spring when the snow melts and rains come and also in the summer but with the heavy construction, they moved on.

The bear photos were taken from the safety of the house. I opened the window to photograph them. I used a 120-400mm lens at the full 400mm. The photos are also cropped.

Here is the mom getting out the creek along the edge of the property. You can see the water coming off her rear. You can see one of the cubs on the log just behind her rear legs.

Mom and cubs sitting at the edge of the creek before taking a dip.

Cubs climbing a tree on the property after taking a dip in the creek. The one with its back to the camera you can see the fur matted from the water. It is a very shallow creek and is dry most of the year. It fills up in the winter and spring when the snow melts and rains come.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
Habitat loss from human encroachment is the biggest threat to most species. And then people buy or build a house in the woods and the bears come back into "their" former home people freak out. Same problem where I live. People want to live in wooded homesites and then complain about the deer and racoons.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 08:45:57 PM »
Habitat loss from human encroachment is the biggest threat to most species. And then people buy or build a house in the woods and the bears come back into "their" former home people freak out. Same problem where I live. People want to live in wooded homesites and then complain about the deer and racoons.

I don't freak out about the wildlife, I love it. That's why I moved here. The closest town in any direction is roughly 1/2 hour away. I love the wildlife and partial isolation. The area we live in is also a protected area. It isn't a park or actual sanctuary but the owners of the development protect the wildlife or so they claim but with all the heavy construction lately, it seems they don't care about the wildlife anymore, just how many more homes they can build. When my brother first moved here there were maybe 15 homes total, now there are probably over a two hundred.

The biggest problem with the vacationers that come up here is that they only come for 1-2 weeks a year and when they see the wildlife like the bears, deer and raccoons, they want to feed them which causes problems for the people like me that live here year round. Most of the people that live here year round know how to enjoy the wildlife without interfering with them. We let the wildlife go about their daily business. When I first moved here, the bears would hang out in the creek and nap in the yard but never bother the garbage cans. We never fed them but when the vacationers come up, they feed everything and they got used to people food so then the bears started raiding garbage cans. We lock the garbage cans to prevent them from raiding them but only recently. The people that only vacation here 1-2 weeks a year don't lock their garbage cans but the bears and raccoons go to all the garbage cans now. With the construction lately though, we don't even see the bears anymore. We used to get a lot of Skunks and Ground Hogs too but the heavy construction seems to have scared them off too. We still get a lot of deer and wild turkeys though.

The waterfall in the neighborhood. Not by the house but only 5 minutes away.

Bear about to nap behind the rocks in the backyard.

A couple young deer in the yard hanging out in the snow.

Some deer in the street in front of the house.

Some turkeys in the backyard. There were about 100 or so but some split off and went across the street.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:20:55 AM »
Wow!! That’s nice!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 01:56:06 AM »
Great photos mate. :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
BTW, do any soldiers anywhere actually use a hand held mini gun? Even if you could control the recoil how could you carry enough ammo to be useful? Or is this more of a movie invention?

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 04:26:04 AM »

Breath-taking even! I can only envy those who get to see such scenery on the regular. Thanks for the arm-chair vacation!

Brian da Basher

Offline Ramba

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 05:48:33 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 05:49:12 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »

Breath-taking even! I can only envy those who get to see such scenery on the regular. Thanks for the arm-chair vacation!

Brian da Basher

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 05:58:09 AM »
BTW, do any soldiers anywhere actually use a hand held mini gun? Even if you could control the recoil how could you carry enough ammo to be useful? Or is this more of a movie invention?

It's fictional but it looks like they are going for something similar to the one used in the first Predator movie that Jesse Ventura had and also in the Terminator that Arnold used to shoot the cop cars from the office building window.

I read though that there was a prototype 5.56mm minigun version but it still needed to be mounted on either a tripod or vehicle. Maybe that was the one they used in both Predator and Terminator even though they were both hand held. Even at 5.56mm, not sure how they would hold it anyway but even so, both the 7.62 and 5.56mm needs the battery pack but I guess that could be carried in a backpack along with the ammo.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
But they all looked good doing it!  8)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 04:21:12 AM »

Indeed! And echoing what kerick said, we have neighbours who actually complain about being woken up by Bald Eagle cries! Any time a bear shows up in the lane, they freak completely. Must've been real calm and quiet back there in the Big City, eh.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
But they all looked good doing it!  8)

Yeah, the first Predator was one of my favorite movies.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 07:07:39 AM »

Indeed! And echoing what kerick said, we have neighbours who actually complain about being woken up by Bald Eagle cries! Any time a bear shows up in the lane, they freak completely. Must've been real calm and quiet back there in the Big City, eh.

We had neighbors complain about the bears but the development owners said they are part of living here but then other people started feeding them so we will see what happens next.

We also have Eagles and Hawks. I saw a Hawk catch a Chipmunk and soared way up high then the same Hawk swooped down and caught a snake then soared up way high again. I guess the snake was a more appealing meal because the Hawk dropped the Chipmunk from way up and soared off with the snake. I had a photo of it dropping the Chipmunk and you could see the snake still in its talons but the photo was lost when my computer got fried three years ago. I unfortunately didn't get to save a copy.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 07:15:18 AM »
Started working on some more of those figures. The heads looked a little small so I removed them and will replace with more appropriately sized heads. Not sure which heads/helmets I will be using but it is between either the Airframe helmet or the MICH helmet with MTEK face armor. Still trying to decide.

Here you can see the figures with the original heads.

Size comparison with Live Resin on the left.

Heads removed.

Once done, they will be sitting atop the Bandai M61A5 MBT. Here they are on the M61A5 without their heads. Positions might change later on. I just posed them there for photo ops.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »
BANDAI! :icon_ninja:

Ah, the mighty E.F.G.F. M61A5 Main Battle Tank! Those figures should go well with it. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."