Modelling > Engineering Dept.

Lockheed AC-130 & M102 105mm Howitzer Engineering question please?

(1/8) > >>

M.A.D:
Would anyone know or care to estimate the dimension of the space that the modified M102 105mm howitzer (including its special recoil obsorbing mount) takes up in the Lockheed AC-130 gunship?  Especially width-wise in terms of the C-130's 3.13m (10ft 3in) width cargo compartment!

Thanks in advance!

M.A.D

Rickshaw:
Going by these photos, I'd say about 2-3 metres.

Jeffry Fontaine:
The rather old and OOP 1:72nd scale AC-130 kit from AMT Ertl/ESCI contained an almost complete 105mm weapon plus some other interesting bits.

M.A.D:
Much appreciate your feed back and cool pictures/drawings Rickshaw and Jeffry Fontaine!!

So the prospects of mounting and employing this ‘modified’ M102 howitzer in an aircraft with a cargo compartment/cabin width of 2.67m (8ft 9in) might be stretching the friendship.

Talking about stretching friendships, does anyone know the technical term for the ‘recoil travel’ of a gun/howitzer on firing? Saying this does anyone know the recoil travel distance of the M102 on firing?

I wonder if the OTO-Melara Mod 56 105 mm pack howitzer would have a smaller dimensional (static and on firing) footprint than the M102, which would allow it to be operational in that cargo compartment/cabin width of 2.67m (8ft 9in)?

P.S. Looking at the topographical cutaway drawing of the AC-130 you've provided, the C-130's internal cargo compartment/cabin width is 3m (10ft) by my recollection, and if the drawing is to scale, then it looks as if at minimum the M102 takes up an estimated ~2m, with an allowance of an additional ~1m for recoil and working space.......

M.A.D

kitnut617:
When I was designing a bit of drilling equipment, I was told it had to be able to go inside a C-130 and that the absolute max it could be was 10 feet wide. That was so it could go through the rear door opening. hth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version