Author Topic: The XYZP-86 First Sabre Prototype - An Alien Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The XYZP-86 First Sabre Prototype - An Alien Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »

While the Shooting Star has become legendary,

less remembered is its stable-mate during the prototype stage

what history has conveniently forgotten to record as the XYZP-86.

The XYZP-86 project was born out out of the Bell P-59 Airacomet's disappointing performance.

Initial flight tests were promising and late in 1945 the XYZP-86 was covertly shipped across the country from California for a more rigorous test program under extreme conditions.

While Area 51 has become famous fodder for conspiracy buffs everywhere,

other plots of restricted government real-estate all over the country go unnoticed, for example Pennsylvania's Area 57.

Situated roughly between Pittsburgh and Punxsutawney, it was here in early 1946 that the XYZP-46 would play an uncredited role in the strange, hushed-up events that followed.

The aircraft began cold-weather tests after everyone had recovered from the New Year. The XYZP-86 seemed just as at home in the wintry north as it had been on the hot, dry lake beds of southern California.

Things would be routine for the first month as flight data was meticulously recorded from a suite of instruments installed behind the cockpit.

This would all change on February 5th, 1946.

Early that evening, strange, unidentified flying objects or U.F.O.s were spotted over tiny Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.

Presaging the Roswell incident by 15 months, a blip was seen on early-warning radar and being the only air asset nearby, the XYZP-86 was ordered to give chase.

The prototype jet got near enough for a glimpse and reported the blip was a flying saucer.

The alien craft accelerated as the XYZP-86 closed distance and quickly disappeared from view.

Unfortunately for the XYZP-86, this encounter was seen on the ground and duly reported in the media.

This would doom the early jet prototype.

As the prototype was Classified and may have been seen by unauthorized civilians, it was thought best to keep it under wraps and flight testing was put on hold. People talked about the odd occurrence anyway and even Punxsutawney's most notable citizen expressed an opinion.

However, the aircraft did advance the design and led to the famous swept-wing Sabre of Korean War fame. Still, even today, no one remembers that the XYZP-86 was the first of the F-86 line to take to the skies.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:19:11 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: The XYZP-86 First Sabre Prototype - An Alien Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »
Ah, The State of Pennsylvania: "The Cradle of Aviation".  I really "Gopher" for your building style Brian.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:58:54 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:14 PM »
This all started with a 1/72 PM Canadair F-86E Sabre I picked up dirt cheap a while back. The pre-crushed flappy box is a good hint at the quality to be found inside. While this kit is very poor, it's perfectly designed for a wing swap. Left-over Shooting Star parts were used.

A bit of work was required to cure the kit's see through the end of the fuselage issue. A spare wheel and the tip of a wingtip drop-tank came to the rescue to close the gap.

The canopy was as bad as the rest of the kit, so another drop-tank piece was used instead. I really like that low, sleek look.

While the PM kit is pretty awful, at least the plastic is workable and the new canopy was easily faired in. The final mods were cutting a ventral fin from the cockpit floor part and adding a tail pipe cut from a drinking straw which wasn't attached until the model was finished.

Here's how the scratched engine parts looked once everything was buttoned up. It's a small detail, but I think it adds a little extra oomph as well as filling a hole. Can't you just feel the power?

This is what it was like before putty & paint. Even the underside came out fairly clean.

Speaking of paint, the model was finished using the old hairy stick and a lot of Model Masters acrylic Gray Primer.

Model Masters Aluminum was used on the intake and associated parts.

The exhaust was finished in Jet Exhaust and the canopy in Insignia Blue with a top coat of Liquitex acrylic gloss medium to get it all nice and shiny.

Decals were a mix from spares. The U.S. markings were swiped from a 1/144 B-29.

The fuel caps on top of the wings were from a sheet for a 1/72 P-38.

The tail code belongs on a 1/144 B-36 and the cockpit placard is for a 1/72 P-36.

The red warnings are from a 1/72 F-15 I think.

I had a blast building this model which only took four days from start to finish.

It seems kitnut 617 and I are on some sort of wavelength. I can't say for sure that his project didn't subconsciously influence me but I can say that his talent and skill far exceed mine and I'll gladly give him credit for the concept.

While doing the in-depth historical research this project required, I came across another picture of the XP-86 which looks like it may have been an early wind-tunnel model.

While swept wings certainly improved the Sabre's performance, I think they took away from the Buck Rogers style of the original design. There's just something about those early straight wing jets that I find irresistible.

I hope you enjoyed the story of the XYZP-86 and reading a bit more history that's been kept under wraps.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:55:04 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
Brian, another great build    :) :) :)

No need to credit me with anything but I really do thank you for finding that wind tunnel model pic, wherever did you find it ?

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Brian, another great build    :) :) :)

No need to credit me with anything but I really do thank you for finding that wind tunnel model pic, wherever did you find it ?

It was found from off-hours googling under the influence of sinus meds but I can't remember where. I do recall that image was the best available at the time.

I'm glad you liked the model. I look forward to seeing more of your version of this concept!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »
Very convincing, almost true! ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »
Beautiful!  And there are more pictures out there of the straight-winged version, including mockup and display model pictures (yes, I intend to cross a F-8 6A with a FJ-1, too).

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
Great stuff Brian  :)  I somehow missed the vertical tail swap until seeing your in-progress shots. Very nice  :D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
Great work again Brian!  The parts swapped out/in match up very well with the original fuselage.  Of course in 1:72nd scale a simple coat of paint will hide a multitude of problems :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
There is so much to model and write about 40s - 50s - 60s jets and related incidents which were not covered sufficiently back at the time.
Your research and modeling of covered up/forgotten aircraft and events promises to be as superlative and diligent as work you put into 30s/40s in prior postings.
 XYZP-86 and Area 57 are fine examples of this.  :)