Author Topic: Random Diorama Ideas  (Read 41678 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
Re: Random Diorama Ideas
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2022, 06:06:50 AM »
Sounds good to me . . .   :smiley:

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2022, 06:26:29 AM »
And yes, it was captured.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2022, 12:30:08 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2022, 03:48:00 AM »
Some serious brow ridges on those etsy skulls. Somebody has a Neanderthal grandparent... or they're slavs:

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2022, 07:00:39 AM »
Some serious indentations on those etsy skulls. Somebody has a Neanderthal grandparent... or they're slavs:

How do you think they died?

Choices, choices.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2022, 10:39:43 AM »
Some serious brow ridges on those etsy skulls. Somebody has a Neanderthal grandparent... or they're slavs:

Um, I'm mostly Slav & my father was Slav ... I kinda take offence to that (unintentional?) inference, especially as you can find similar brow ridge types across almost all ethnic groups. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2022, 08:09:58 PM »
Nuffin wrong with Neanderthal DNA, its the reason those of European decent survive pandemics better than the only true humans, the sub-Saharan Africans, we are interbred mongrels.  In fact it has been determined that all medicines and treatments should actually be tailored for Kalahari Bushmen as they are the closest living remnant of the original homosapien and as such any treatments that work for them will work for everyone else.  Sort of flips the white supremacist's view on racial purity.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »
Not upset by the knowledge that I have Homo Neanderthalensis genes in the slightest.

Nor do I accept that the heavy brow ridge & highly sloped forehead actually indicate low intelligence (it absolutely has no bearing, whatsoever).

What does ... niggle ... is that it was claims like this that Hitler & the Nazis used to claim that Slavs (Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Yugoslavs, Ukrainians, Russians) were sub-human, ignoring the fact that the incidence of heavy brow ridges & highly sloped foreheads is actually relatively rare, occurs almost equally in all Euro/Scandinavian "ethnic" groups & has, as said above, zero indication of the actual intelligence of the person with these features.

What rankles is that American scientists used this type of phrenological myth as part of their anti-Soviet propaganda for a while post-WW2 & it seems to have stuck as an instinctive, thoughtless cliche in the minds of otherwise really nice people.

:icon_surprised:

Phew! OK, rant over.

:-[
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2022, 12:27:40 AM »

Um, I'm mostly Slav & my father was Slav ... I kinda take offence to that (unintentional?) inference, especially as you can find similar brow ridge types across almost all ethnic groups. ::)

Sorry Guy - This guy has brow ridges because he has acromegaly, among other issues.

Nothing wrong about Neanderthals, either. According to two DNA tests, I have more 'thal ancestry than most people. And no brow ridges.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2022, 01:21:06 AM »
Sort of flips the white supremacist's view on racial purity.

:smiley: ;D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2022, 04:49:10 AM »
One of my clubbies presented his plan last night to complete this dio in 1/700 scale, with a close as dammit 1/700 Destroyer and a Flyhawk 1/700 Sunderland

the story behind the image
"BAY OF BISCAY. 1943-05-29. SUNDERLAND T9114-E OF NO 461 SQUADRON RAAF, UNDER TOW BY THE FRENCH DESTROYER 'LA COMBATTANTE'. THE AIRCRAFT HAD LANDED TO PICK UP SIXTEEN SURVIVORS FROM TWO OTHER AIRCRAFT BUT WAS UNABLE TO TAKE OFF IMMEDIATELY. THE SURVIVORS WERE TRANSFERRED TO THE SHIP WHEN IT ARRIVED AND THE AIRCRAFT TAKEN IN TOW UNTIL SEAS ABATED. THE HULL OF THE SUNDERLAND WAS HOLED ON THE SUBSEQUENT TAKE OFF AND THE CAPTAIN, 400841 PILOT OFFICER G.V. SINGLETON, DECIDED TO LAND ON ANGLE AIRFIELD RATHER THAN ALIGHT ON WATER AT HIS HOME BASE. THE LANDING WAS ACCOMPLISHED WITH LITTLE FURTHER DAMAGE TO THE AIRCRAFT."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
Looking at that picture again, and particularly at the trailer's wheels, they look to be British. So, the question is, has the fighter been captured by the British and being taken away, or salvaged by the Luftwaffe who just happen to be using a captured British trailer . . .

I think you are right, Robin. That recovery trailer looks like the two-wheeled Tasker 33-footer (kind of a little brother to the 'Queen Mary'. I believe that there is only one kit of that trailer - in 1/35 by Wespe Models, which comes with a Commer Q2 15 cwt tractor. But reviews of that Romanian kit are rather dire!

The aircraft is another limiting factor. Pend Oreille did a resin Messerschmit in 1/35th 20+ years ago. But that was a Bf 109G-6. AFAIK, there's no 1/35 kit of an 'F model Messerschmitt. So, this diorama trailer would probably be a scratch job in another scale.

For the tractor, options would be Commer, Albion, or (maybe?) Bedford. Flightpath UK does a Commer airfield lorry (FHP72213). But the Albion AM463 refueller might be a better starting point (Airfix 1/48 or Matador 1/72).

Anyone really good with cutting jigs and Plastruct angles?  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2022, 12:11:18 PM »
One of my clubbies presented his plan last night to complete this dio in 1/700 scale, with a close as dammit 1/700 Destroyer and a Flyhawk 1/700 Sunderland

the story behind the image
"BAY OF BISCAY. 1943-05-29. SUNDERLAND T9114-E OF NO 461 SQUADRON RAAF, UNDER TOW BY THE FRENCH DESTROYER 'LA COMBATTANTE'. THE AIRCRAFT HAD LANDED TO PICK UP SIXTEEN SURVIVORS FROM TWO OTHER AIRCRAFT BUT WAS UNABLE TO TAKE OFF IMMEDIATELY. THE SURVIVORS WERE TRANSFERRED TO THE SHIP WHEN IT ARRIVED AND THE AIRCRAFT TAKEN IN TOW UNTIL SEAS ABATED. THE HULL OF THE SUNDERLAND WAS HOLED ON THE SUBSEQUENT TAKE OFF AND THE CAPTAIN, 400841 PILOT OFFICER G.V. SINGLETON, DECIDED TO LAND ON ANGLE AIRFIELD RATHER THAN ALIGHT ON WATER AT HIS HOME BASE. THE LANDING WAS ACCOMPLISHED WITH LITTLE FURTHER DAMAGE TO THE AIRCRAFT."

Well, La Combattante was a British Hunt-class destroyer & IBG Models makes 6 vessels of the class in 1/700 (3 Polish, 3 British; only one available at the moment, though):

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=hunt&fc=5&fa2=Scale%20Model%20Kit

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »
Freshly coloured. Unknown source.

De Havilland Sea Hornet F20 of 801 Squadron on HMS Implacable 1946-50.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2022, 11:52:15 PM »
You want a nightmare?

A Dutch civilian lifts his two children away from danger near a British Sherman tank during the fighting in Hertogenbosch, 27 October 1944.

Reminds me of this scene from CHILDREN OF MEN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjFHqohaHYU

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2022, 02:25:25 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2022, 03:35:12 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2022, 02:47:56 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2022, 02:08:18 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2022, 02:22:42 AM »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2022, 01:46:59 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2022, 02:31:43 AM »

This C-47 (serial number 42-100862) was one of nineteen Skytrains shot down by the Flak of the Führer Begleit Brigade west of Bastogne on 27 December 1944. The aircraft in the picture was from the 94th Troop Carrier Squadron, 439th Troop Carrier Group, and was baptized ‘Aint Missbehavin’ by the crew. Photo taken on 30 December 1944.

The pilot, Captain Ernie Turner of the C-47 cargo transport crash landed safely after having dropped supplies to elements of the 101st Airborne Division which had successfully repulsed all attempts to capture the besieged city of Bastogne, Belgium.
Captain Ernie Turner, with Lieutenant Keistutis J. ‘Casey’ Narbutas as co-pilot, Staff Sergeant Richard G. Whitehurst as radio operator, and Staff Sergeant John E. Douglas as the crew commander escaped unharmed from the emergency landing at Savy northwest of Bastogne, behind the American lines.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2022, 03:20:50 AM »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2022, 10:38:30 PM »
Via Facebook.

CFBV

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...