Author Topic: It's happened before...  (Read 20736 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: It's happened before...
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
I'm not totally certain, but I think that the solar arrays on the ISS could be retractable, not folded but just re-stowed, but it would be time consuming given their scale (those boxes that contain their orientation drives? They are 5' x 5' x5' pieces of forged aluminum that are then carefully machined to handle expected loads while minimizing weight).

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
I suspect you may be right.

I decided that I wanted to reveal (sorta) that the Rising Star wasn't really a station... it's actually the prototype of the Chines long-duration ship. It's actually designed in a more compact form that can fold it's wings and thrust for Mars or the Moon. Probably more cramped than other stations... but it would offer one hell of a lot of capability once it arrived.

Send it unmanned, with a high-energy manned mission to follow. I recall mission discussions that were based on sending infrastructure ahead.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
I suspect you may be right.

I decided that I wanted to reveal (sorta) that the Rising Star wasn't really a station... it's actually the prototype of the Chines long-duration ship. It's actually designed in a more compact form that can fold it's wings and thrust for Mars or the Moon. Probably more cramped than other stations... but it would offer one hell of a lot of capability once it arrived.

Send it unmanned, with a high-energy manned mission to follow. I recall mission discussions that were based on sending infrastructure ahead.
That would be a good way to test out such a ship, operate it as a station first and get the life-support, communications, et al. systems sorted out while you're close enough to get help quickly; then boost it for its destination, with or without crew on board.  I seem to remember reading those same discussions and it makes sense.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
Wow, that was amazing! Truly a great crossover connection between the two universes!

Alvis 3.1

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Ok that's freaky!  I thought there might have been a Battlestar twist!

Here's your reward...

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Oooh!

Where can I collect my prize? :)

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »
yup i would repeatedly!