Author Topic: Warspite gets a few scars  (Read 31959 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Warspite gets a few scars
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:35:16 AM »
Hi all I made a start on what is going to be a massive project in which HMS Warspite is involved in an air attack by the Germans.
I will be using Academy's 1/350 Warspite and several other scales of model aircraft also will be using led's for the explosions and lighting the water spurts from near misses with bombs.
I wont be getting the Warspite till my birthday in roughly a fortnight but have made a start on the base and some of the planes I will be using.
Here are some picks of where I am at, at the moment.

the smallest bombers are 1/350 scale kindly donated to this project the 1/144 stuka's are zevada
the 1/72 Stuka in the process of being built is Academy and I have a 1/72 Airfix FW190 to go on the Dio too.
as you can see it will be a long term project.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Warspite gets a few scars
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »
Interesting concept using forced perspective. I don't like 1/350th usually but this is going to be an entertaining build.
So you're going to mix IJN Mitsubishi Nell and Betty bombers with the awesome Zvezda Stukas?
You know you can get appropriately scaled Ju88s, He111s and SM.79s to maintain the Mediterranean battle look?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:14:07 AM »
Where would I get them from?

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:33:30 PM »
I had seen some 3D printed models in various scales from an Ebay seller, "soxfox2", they were Ju-87s and Dornier 17Z in 1/350. Could've sworn there were '88s and 111s. I 'spose you could use 1/700 versions from PitRoad. Apologies for misleading you.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:06:02 AM »
That's okay thanks.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Just a thought, you could 'modify' the Betty into a He-111 torpedo bomber by removing the cockpit, adding some plastic card to the wing/tailplanes to change the shape, sand the rear fuse thinner alter the vertical stab to suit and alter the engines to in-line from radials.
The Nell could similarly be modded into a Ju-88, I had a good look at the profiles and plans and I think it could be done quite convincingly. I hope this helps. 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »
Thanks Faaman food for thought.
Here is a little update on the Stuka
I have realised from the pic on the box I have bought the wrong version, the one I've bought is the anti tank one, which, apparently has no dive brakes and no bomb cradle.
I have tried to make the air brakes (I could only find one decent pic of them and that was on a model) I have no idea what they really look like so this is my best attempt at what I could seen. as for the bomb cradle would that have swung back up after dropping its payload as I obviously dont have a bomb so I want to do it as if its just got rid of it.
I have glued the windscreen on before it says so in the instructions as I got tired of rescuing them from the CM after breaking them off, seemingly every single time i picked it up, Hope that decision dosent end up biteing me in the bum

Also made a start on the FW190

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:09:27 AM »
Look what I got today

Not allowed to start it till my birthday though(mind you I wasn't allowed to open it before my birthday)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Good lord!!  :o That's enormous!!!  ;D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:48 AM »
Well here is a progress report of todays work the guns are back on the Ju87 and have done a bit more work on that and the FW190.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:38:46 AM »

So you're going to mix IJN Mitsubishi Nell and Betty bombers with the awesome Zvezda Stukas?
You know you can get appropriately scaled Ju88s, He111s and SM.79s to maintain the Mediterranean battle look?

Of course, one could have a set of Japanese bombers operating in the Mediterranean…just saying. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:08 AM »

Of course, one could have a set of Japanese bombers operating in the Mediterranean…just saying. ;)
In Japanese or German markings?  The latter would definitely confuse a host of folk.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 06:24:57 AM »
You guys are wickedly confounding!!!

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »
Hi all done some work on the FW190

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:24 AM »
Here is tonights bit on the planes

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:28:44 AM »
Hi all got some paints for this dio delivered today

Its amazing how much paint you need for something like this, as far as I can work out I still need another 11 colours.
and did some work on the stuka

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 01:58:52 AM »
Hi all an update on the the planes

did a bit of work to try and make this look like a He 111

did some work on the FW 190

and here is a shot of all the attacking planes I will be using

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:19:50 AM »
Is this going to be done in a box so it can only be viewed from the direction you want to maintain the forced perspective look?  Very cool how ever you finish it though.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
Good attempt at modifying the Betty :D keep up the good work :D 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:58 AM »
hi all here is quite a big update, I have tried my first attempt at panel lines and weathering of a plane, also I have been experimenting with the explosion on the Fw 190 wing

the explosion is a bit too orange so will have to either add some brown or blue to it then a bit more black to the smoke, still got to add the suspension strutt and the cover thingy that goes over the wheel will have to buckle that a bit and bend the suspension strutt but I think the explosion should work ok.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:17 AM »
Wow!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 07:53:49 AM »
This is looking to be epic.

That LED lit explosion looks pretty nice

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »
Well its not my birthday till Sunday but I am busy most of the day tomorrow and we have the whole family round Sunday, so I've negotiated a start today on my Warspite model so here is the start.
I have placed a few planes and Warspite in different places which do you think looks best (obviously the planes will be in the air on the finished dio) I just want an idea of which you all think looks best.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
Hi all made a really stupid total nitwit mistake in my eagerness to start this kit. There are parts on the deck you are supposed to cut off before you attatch the wooden decking, which I didn't. That made the job of removing it now a real b@'!:er, still done it now I've bitten the bullet and done a tiny amount of PE (the gangway which goes across the bow there are 2 gussets underneath which measure 2.5mm x 1.5 mm after an hour of getting them in the right place and upright I have to wonder is it worth the effort, once it's on the dio no one will see it, even off the ship when turned upside down you can barely see it with the naked eye. Still we will see how long I keep the PE up as although they are small the gangway was a simple bend the sides up (oh by the way the Mk1 detail up set instructions are vague to say the least) they show a picture of the part in place and one pic of some of the folds you are left to guess the rest of the folds.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »
There are tutorials on-line for figuring out the 'how tos' of working with PE, the etched channel is in the inside of the bend and curved PE is best done with a suitably round sectioned hard substance. Most of all you have to take your time with it. :D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
Thanks for the info will check some out
here is a bit of an update of where I am now.
 I am a bit peeved now, I realise I made the mistake with not removing the plastic before I laid the decking but now i've started putting the PE on I've discovered ther are other bit which should be removed which are not on the instructions and now i've laid the wooden decking and cut it to fit whats on the deck the PE is not covering all the plastic.

as you can see from the pic the only part outlined is the gangway which is to be removed but as i've now discovered the ramps should have been removed too.

as you can see the PE ramps are too short and I can't remove the plastic ramps as I've cut the decking to fit, so I'm hoping that when painted grey it wont notice. (yes I know the middle blast shield is crooked in the pic but that has been sorted now)

led in place ready for the only direct hit on the poor old lady.

I know I swore I would never use PE again but this is all fairly simple stick it on stuff at the moment so will stick with it for now.

first start at the explosion and I thought I would try an experiment with Optic Fibres will bee using those for the tracer rounds Warspie will be firing, I have discovered if you scratch the firbre every so often light escapes at the scratches over a length of about 12 inches (it does gradually get less as it goes along but I think 12 inches will be enough for me) anyway keeping it straight at anything more than that is almost impossible

Obviously there is no smoke yet nor any debris in the explosion , I am wondering whether to put an unfortunate sailor in the smoke of the exlposion sans a limb or 2 ( the 350 scale sailors I've got I'm not sure it would notice, but might be fun to see if anyone does).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 02:32:54 AM »
Wow!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
Wow!

Nononononono....

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!
 ;)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
Looks pretty good! :)

2 points of note, though;

1.) In every piece of footage of aerial combat & bombing raids I recall seeing, when a wing comes off the end piece flips up & back while the stub connected to the fuselage drops down - physics: the broken off piece of wing still generates lift for a moment until it flips up & catches the air flat-on, while the aircraft loses lift on that side so the wing stub drops (the off side wing is also, now, generating much more lift than the damaged stub & accentuates the wing drop);

2.) Your tracer rounds should not travel in a straight line - physics (again): bullets travel in a parabolic arc as gravity acts on them, also the gunners will be swinging their weapons to follow their targets, so they will also arc sideways.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 04:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Wombat I was calling this finished will have to review now.
Hi all I think I've got too many balls in the air at once, at the moment so I am going to finish some of the planes before I get too involved with Warspite, so got on with the FW 190 and apart from painting the canopy and matt coating it I was calling the 190 done, need to make a slight alteration .

I've done the all the decals on one side of the JU 87 so I recon that will be ready for matt coating tomorrow.

0tWIZ7u.jpg

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
Nice Stuka! :D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »
Hi all here is an update, and a querey I have used humbrol matt varnish for the first time, But I have an unusual effect the varnish has white patches (which in this instance is great I was going to add something like this anyway, and think it works ok) but what if I didn't want it, whats gone wrong ( I stirred it thourgherly)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 05:37:42 AM »
I used to get this 'cloudy effect with Humbrol matt varnish brushed on. It is unstirred medium and is very hard to deal with as it only needs a bit lurking under the lip to produce what you have
and the only ways around it I know of is to stir it vigorously before each brush load it or thin it and spray it. It is the main reason I changed to Testors Dull Coat in the spray can.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:07 AM »
doing some work on the base today
as you can see not a lot of room in my man cave for it

drilled the holes for all the leds and put and wired the leds into the board

not wired the explosion in the stern of warspite cant do that till Warspite hull is permanently atattched same for the FW 190
the 2 blue leds are for the water plumes for the near misses.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 03:57:41 AM »
Hi all been doing some experimenting with the base, my choice of using blue leds was a terrible mistake, now Ive gone and hot glued them all up to make the water plumes I am stuck with them (pun intended) hopefully loads of white paint will cure that problem, initially I was getting carried away and started making them too big, till it suddenly dawned on me an inch high plume of water at 1/350 scale would be 29 feet tall in real life so scaled them back a bit.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »
Hi all here is tonights update, dulled the blue leds down (more glue and white paint )
and added a couple more planes.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 02:13:25 AM »
hello all I am sure you are getting bored by now, unfortunately here is another visual onslaught for you nhahahahaha(insert evil laugh)

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
"Bored" isn't a word I'd use, mate. :icon_surprised:

"Intriguing" & "inspirational" are a couple I would use, though! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 04:40:46 AM »
I very much like the LED effects, makes for great explosions!

Nice work, looking forward to more.

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »
Hi all here is todays bit

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
Hi all here is todays bit

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »
Hi all my first attempt at water effect using clear bathroom sealant

and i've done a bit more to the superstructure

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 05:00:29 AM »
Coming along nicely ............ 8) :D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:01 AM »
The lighting effects are terrific

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:36 AM »
Hi all had a go at weathering some of the superstructure (never weathered a ship before) is this enough or should I go further ?

also did some more of that pesky PE

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »
That's probably a little excessive for a battlewagon.

Battleships are the domain of Admirals &, as such, are kept pretty close to spotless. After a long cruise you may find some rust & oil streaking from the anchors, scuppers, port holes & drains around the hull, but not much more.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
As Wombat said, a little bit excessive, should be cleaner as the superstructure doesn't get as weathered as the hull, I've pics of Warspite and she really never got this weathered. You never know unless you try and then ask questions. :D

Try looking up "Jim Bauman" and his model ship builds, they are very realistic and should give you an indication of how your Warspite should look. :D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
Thatz a grand multi model & diorama project :)
Quality build and cool special effects 8)
Congrats.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »
Just as an example;

This is a RAN warship (HMAS Warramunga);

This isn't (Australian Customs & Border Protection Vessel, ACV Triton);

Especially with Triton, a very hard-worked ship, note now clean the superstructure is compared to the hull.

Hope this helps.

:)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2014, 05:26:19 AM »
thanks very helpful.
Hi all here is tonights update

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
Hi all playing with the 1/350 planes this one I was going to have crash into the sea behind Warspite but I had a thought didn't some of the German pilots do suicide runs and deliberately crash their crippled planes into ships. If I did this I was thinking they would aim for most damage so I would imagine they would try for the bridge or one of the big guns and hope to hit some ammo.
If I did this would something like that have been enough to sink a ship like the Warspite. Obviously I dont want her sunk.

also here is some work I've done some work on Warspite

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 05:23:52 AM »
Cool explosion effect on the Betty!!! The whole thing's coming along nicely :D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »
Hi all here is todays, been playing with the sea, do you guys and gals recon it needs more colour or is it ok ?

still got 2 more 1/350 planes to add over all how do you think its going.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
WOW - I can't find good enough words to express how much I like Warspite & diorama.  Way cool 8)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
If you're not already a member I highly recommend you give modelwarships.com a look and post this gem of a build over there.  Can't wait to see this completely finished!!!  :)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
More colour - no.

A little more chop on the water - IF you think you can get it right.

Otherwise - leave it alone, it's very good as is.

:) :icon_alabanza:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »
Perfect! :)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »
Love it!

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
Hi all well all the lighting is now set up and I have installed most of the guns.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
That ... is ... like ... WOW! :o

Way cool, dude! 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
Hi all I knocked up a quick background what do you all think.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »
This needs to be displayed somewhere like a museum!

Offline finsrin

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2014, 03:11:53 AM »
Back ground is ideal final touch.  Is just right in bringing out perspective effect you built into diorama :)
Yes - is worthy of being a museum display.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »
Thanks guys got a long way to go yet, I was wondering about doing an airman parachuting to the sea from the blownup plane nearest Warspite what do you think, a bit too far or believable.

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »
Not highly likely, fatality rates were extremely high for Stuka crews in aircraft hit during an attack dive - not far short of 100%.

The method of attack & the altitudes at which they were hit generally didn't give the crew enough time to bail out.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
Agreed Wombat, with those two big fuel tanks alongside the cockpit a plunging fiery end was almost a certainty for aircraft and crew.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2014, 04:18:55 AM »
Hello all thought I would add a bit of life to her, got loads more of these to add.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »
Coming along 8) 8) 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2014, 03:42:58 AM »
Hi all here is this weekends work.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »
That's coming together very nicely!

I especially like your paintwork!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2014, 04:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys here is my next update

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2014, 04:11:05 AM »
Hi all here is tonights offering

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
Just a quick observation:

Is Warspite engaged in surface action, as well? If not, then her main guns should still be trained fore-&-aft; as they weren't of any use in anti-aircraft engagements, that was the purpose of the secondary & dedicated AA armaments (some of which I note are trained fore-&-aft).

Offline Weaver

• Skyhawk stealer and violator of Panthers, with designs on a Cougar and a Tiger too
  • Chaos Engineer & Evangelistic Agnostic
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
This is an awesome project - it looks amazing, particularly the lit explosions.  8)

Re the weathering, you seem to have got it about right now, with rust streaks on the hull, but the superstructure fairly clean. Basically, they'd clean and repaint anything they could reach/get at*, but things they couldn't (sides of the hull or high up bits) would suffer the longer a voyage went on and the worse the conditions. It was worse on WWII ships than modern ones because they didn't have the anti-corrosion and paint technologies we have nowadays, and many of them were painted in a rush even by the standards of the day. If you look at pics of the RN ships coming back from the Falklands, you can see that Hermes (near WWII standard) looks far scruffier than Invincible (1970s standard).

*DK Brown reported that when they re-built the Leanders in the 1970s, they found as many as 80 coats of paint, weighing up to 45 tons, on some of them. :o
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides

"I've jazzed mine up a bit" - Spike Milligan

"I'm a general specialist," - Harry Purvis in Tales from the White Hart by Arthur C. Clarke

Twitter: @hws5mp
Minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
Thanks weaver, wombat wait till I post the new updated background there may well be some surface action. But I will admit I had no idea. I do have a question then if that is the case would all the big guns be facing thecsame way and firing at the same time.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
If the target was in a position for all the main guns to be bought to bear (clear 'A' arcs) then yes all the turrets/guns would be pointed at the target's bearing, although RN practice was to salvo fire, IE, all 4 'A' guns (port side) then all 4 'B' guns (starboard side), so if you had one set firing they'd be elevated to the correct angle following the director whilst the other set would be depressed to the loading position as this was fixed in this mark of 15 inch turret.

If you go to this Wiki page you'll see an animated loading sequence for the RN 15inch/42 caliber BL as fitted to Warspite;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_15_inch_Mk_I_naval_gun

Hope this helps,

Keep up the great work,

Neil 8)

Online Old Wombat

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »
Thanks weaver, wombat wait till I post the new updated background there may well be some surface action. But I will admit I had no idea. I do have a question then if that is the case would all the big guns be facing the same way and firing at the same time.

Chances are that they would, either firing on a target ashore or at the same ship, usually the biggest, because that's what they were designed for.

(One of Hood's errors was to target Prinz Eugen instead of Bismark, thereby wasting the power of her big guns on a smaller. more agile target.)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2014, 03:59:58 AM »
Well she's nearly done now just some rails and the rigging (no idea where that goes) I can see some of it in the box atr but obviously that does not show where its anchored or anything.
got a bit of work to do on the base and the background, but definitly on the finishing stretch.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »
Hi all this is where I am now still a lot of little things to add so probably wont be posting any more on this for a while as the bits I need to do wont really show up much and would just be boreing, but dont worry I will still be working on it.
Will have to find someone to donate it to then as its is too big to stay here.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »
That's already at a level that'll have many envious, kp!

Thanks for the update!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Look what came today.

I put the warspite on her just to show how big she is.
I will be a good boy though no starting it till I've finished the warspite dio, well fairly sure I will be a good boy, sort of.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
It's a pretty good kit the Flower if your not worried about accuracy, if you are your in for a bumpy ride to make an accurate RN Flower. I've two of 'em to build, plus a fiberglass hull, that makes three ......... :D

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:49 AM »
well here is where I am now sorry in advance not turned out anywhere near as good as I hoped have ruined the rigging and some of the paint work,doing some more to the dio then the whole thing will be done I feel I have to finnish the base as I prommissed myself I wouldnt start anything else till this was finished.. dont think I will be donating it to the library though and definitley not to the next club show table I think it is now ruined and fit for the spares drawer

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »
Well it certainly looks like Warspite 8), and you've done a sterling job of it.  :)
Just remember it's all a learning curve and what you think is a fail to others is inconsequential and the fact that you attempted something as ambitious as this 'in combat' dio build with forced perspective tossed in is very much to your credit. Try something else next time and adjust your techniques  ;)
One bit of advice though, when you do rigging replace the kit plastic parts with brass rod and tube, you can really put some tension on the masts and yards without pulling things out of shape as I've learned the hard way. I now replace at the least the mast, supports and yards for a mode ship requiring rigging and any details are taken from the kit masts and attached to the brass replacements with Loctite Super Glue Gel.
This is a pic of one of my ships with only the kit masts;
DSC06748 140. MatsuS by Neil, on Flickr

This is a sister ship with the masts replaced with brass and steel, you can immediately see the difference between the model's masts;
DSC06774 18. SakuraS by Neil, on Flickr

I hope this helps mate, keep up the great work!!  8) 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:50:01 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »
Thanks Faaman.
Well its finished, managed to sort the rigging and hid the botched paint behind the gun blasts.
will take some better photos in the daylight tomorrow.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
Very cool indeed mate, jus' WOW!! :) 8)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 12:07:03 AM »
Hi all thanks Faaman as promised here are some more pics taken in daylight.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
OMG :o
Totally excellent  :-* :-* :-*

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
Damn!!  That's a superb diorama and very nicely done models.

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 01:52:31 AM »
All I can say is wow - A first to see someone using fibre optics in a sea based diorama - the finla effects are totally awesome - the near misses and the Fw109 wing came out really great ! It was a real pleasure reading your article and would like to thank you for sharing your super build !

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »
Thank you glad you like it, it was displayed in my local library, but due to re allocation of space they can no longer display it so now I have it at home with no space for it, so it will probably end up in the spares drawer (although that is full to overflowing.