Author Topic: 1/72 Spatz Scout biplane  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Spatz Scout biplane
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:21:27 AM »
General Carl Spaatz is one of the most famous U.S. Army Air Force leaders. The story of his years commanding the U.S. 8th Air Force and later, the entire American air effort in Europe, is literally the stuff of history.

His early career is less well-known, however and the sole aircraft he designed is all but forgotten.

Carl Spatz (how he spelled it prior to 1938) became a U.S. Army aviator in 1914. His skill in the air and inimitable sense of style quickly brought him to the attention of superiors.

When the U.S. entered the Great War, Carl Spatz was put in charge of a U.S. Army Signal Corps training squadron. Spatz was dismayed to discover his unit's imported French aeroplanes were actually crates of seemingly random, mis-matched parts. However, from this morass would be born a cutting-edge flying machine.

Made up of mostly Hanriot and Nieuport parts, the new 'plane was powered by an innovative double-row Rhone Clone Gnome Gnome which was achieved by mating two French rotary engines. What really set this bird apart was its fantastically streamlined landing gear.

Spatz created an incredibly sleek undercarriage by using French cod-liver oil tank parts to cover wheels fitted with low-pressure tires which would prove ideal for use on rough fields.

The Spatz Scout was comparable to the famous Sopwith Pup but had greater speed and it was thought could carry two .50 cal. machine guns without degrading performance. Unfortunately, the hide-bound upper echelons of the U.S. Army Signal Corps rejected the Spatz Scout and Carl was soon rotated to a U.S. aero squadron in France.

While the Spatz Scout is completely forgotten, its designer would give his name to the incredibly sexy, streamlined undercarriages that would soon become common.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:27:49 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Spatz Scout biplane
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:02:40 AM »
This all started when I picked up a fistful of bagged 1/72 Eduard Nieuport 17 econo-kits on the cheap.

I don't know if you noticed, but this kit comes with an additional upper wing. This is greatly appreciated if you've got plans to change this sesquiplane into a single-bay biplane.

I had the engine & cowling from a Nieuport 28 in the spares box and it seemed a decent fit. Oddly enough, a lone Nieuport 28 hoiriz. stab. made for a passable fin & rudder too. Some half-wheels and left-over P-35 shell collectors made up the spatted landing gear. Here it sat in the box, unfinished and unloved, for months...and months...

Two months ago the box this was in got tipped over and the lower wings snapped off. I'm sure the neighbors wondered what in the hell kind of animal growls like that.

Anyway, this GB seemed ideal to bring this model back from the dead. Last Tuesday I glued the lower wings back on and figured out how to attack the upper wing using bits of sprue and spare SE-5 interplane struts.

The entire model is brush-painted by hand (including the rudder stripes) with acrylics and decals are a mix from the decal dungeon. Here's a few shots where I forced the flash. Not sure which I like better but I thought you might want to see them.

I almost forgot to mention that the model is rigged with busted guitar strings and CA. It's been a while since I tried to build a fully-rigged biplane and I had a lot of fun finishing this up during the rainstorms today.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and reading the forgotten history of General Spaatz and his spats.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:31:01 AM by Brian da Basher »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »
Nice work on adding the spats to the image of General Spaatz :) 

Nice looking little aircraft Brian, you always manage to create a winner. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
Is this 1:72, Brian?
If so, it looks outstanding!
How do you manage the silvering of the decals?

Norbert

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »
very nice work ! rigging on my biplanes is of the " yeh its there ,the wires just so small you cant see it " type, truly impressed with yours!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
So,,, thatz the Spatz story, you history slouth you :))
Looks right, another great build  :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:56 AM »
Congratulations! :)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
 :icon_beer:   - to the king of perfectly matching backstory with machine !!!

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Really lovely mate, perfect!!

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »
Very nice, once again.  But, in Canada, our history books tell an oddly parallel tale of a Leutnant Karl Schpatz from a Kampfeinsitzer Kommando unit on the Axis side.  I'll...ah...I'll have to pull the details from my daughter's WWI history book for you prior to Nov 11 (if you know what I mean).
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.