Author Topic: HMS Amazon ideas  (Read 13699 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: HMS Amazon ideas
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »

No mention of Sea Skua though. All it's dimensions are different and unlike Sea Wolf, it's tail fins are indexed at 45 deg to it's wings, so designing a common launcher would be very complicated. There is a surface-launched version of Sea Skua (the Kuwaiti navy has some) but it's a fixed container like most other AShMs.

Probably faulty recollection on my part then.  I'll blame the chemo  ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: HMS Amazon ideas
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
The second article pretty much describes the concept I read about in the Airfix mag.  That would have been a very good option for the RAN into the 80s, a good solid GP frigate capable of defending itself from the latest missile and air threats.  Replace Exocet with Harpoon and work in Phalanx and you would actually have had a more capable and survivable platform than the baseline ANZAC ordered 20 years later.  I still think it is a shame Australia never bought the Lynx, the "Broad Beam" Amazon / Lynx combination would have been a very good thing for the RAN in terms of numbers and capability.

Looking for a DDG / FFG to follow the Amazon with is interesting, there literally wasn't anything available LOTS other then the FFG-7.  An updated DDL could have been an option although I have always thought a DDG version of the Type 22 would have been interesting with Sea Dart or Standard worked in with a hull plug between the funnel and hanger.  Depending when it was designed it could be a single or twin armed launcher or a VLS, Mk-13 would be the easiest but Mk-26 would be more capable and look cool; Sea Dart with its deep magazine would be an issue.  The other option would be a stretched Type 23, deeper VLS forward for SM-1/2 and the for but not with space adjacent to the hanger used for Seawolf or Sea Sparrow, Phalanx either side of the funnel.  Australia look at a "mini" Type 23 for the PF project that became the ANZACs, the RAN really liked the Type 23 and wanted the full blown thing but just could not get it over the line, a bit like the Flight IIA Burke and the AWD, the MOTS solution was the best option but didn't fit the political objectives of the time.