Modelling > SciFi & Fantasy

Star Trek Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (2/13) > >>

GTX_Admin:
Good idea - I can see TV Execs jumping on it too since it allows them to target a new, younger audience potentially (at least that might be one way to sell it to them).  I also like the name, though for some reason I could see it being nicknamed "Starfleet 90210" or similar.

Certainly a seed for some ideas!

upnorth:
I always liked Star Trek best when the battle lines weren't so clear cut.

It's easy enough to take up arms against a nasty alien enemy, like the Dominion in DS9, but what do you do when the enemy is a LOT closer to you and not so easily defined, like the Maquis?

The Dominion was easy to dislike, the Maquis could be sympathised with.

The Maquis and the Cardassians were really what kept my interests in DS9 in it's last few seasons.

The Maquis worked particularly well to give Voyager a strong start. The tension between the Star Fleet and ex Maquis crew members was enough to make it interesting early on.

The Cardassians were one of the more compelling alien races in Star Trek. The old power structures slowly slipping from the grasps of those who still held them, a large section of the population wracked by guilt an a need for attonement to the Bajorans pushing for a better future. They were as much at war with themselves as they were with anyone else.

Gul Dukat was a particularly entertaining character as you never knew what you were going to get from him one episode to the next.

I always thought it was unfortunate that the Cardassians were not featured as protagonists in one of the Star Trek films.

The idea of an expanded Federation that would include Cardassia is quite appealing, not only would it give a reason for the Federation to be in that region of space, it would also allow elements of Cardassian ship design to feature in Star Fleet vessels.

The Cardassian Galor class ship was one of my favorite designs in the Star Trek universe. It just look soooo predatory.

RussC:
Great observations, upnorth'... my favorite Cardassian character was Gul D'mar (sp) and how he turned the tables on the Dominion and started the revolution from his mom's basement! You gotta wonder if the writers were sneaking a wry jab at the audience geekdom with that one.  My second favorite was the tailor on DS9.

One thing that really steps forth in the whole Star Trek story is its mirror on earth current politics and history. The original series had plenty of cold war themes thrown in.

The next generation also plus a growing reference to the smaller conflicts and the problems of terrorism. The DS9 series really did put in place a lot of the post-soviet problems like the Balkans and the ex-empires. The Voyager series was all over the map with metaphors, they took a look at everything. The Enterprise series was indeed inclusive of 9-11 and the post-period.

So now the potential of a next series has a lot to draw on as the post-Iraq, post-afghan period and the Arab-Spring era is here.

Everything old is new again, and everything new is newer.

Anyone writing a show has a lot more SFX muscle to draw on, plus a Sci-Fi community ready for new scripts always.

Empty Handed:

--- Quote ---....and how he turned the tables on the Dominion and started the revolution from his mom's basement!
--- End quote ---

That was Garak's (the tailor) basement, not Damar's. Great ep! Had humour despite the pretty desperate situation.

"You never told me you had a mountain hideaway!"

"I was going to suprise you."

Great! I'm going to have to watch it again now!  ???

Silver Fox:
I've long thought of doing a T-Bird in StarFleet colours. Impulse engine in place of the early turbojet, phaser emmiters in place of the twin .50's, and a few other hop ups.

Just the thought of a centuries old plane being used in training gives me a laugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version