Author Topic: RAF Handley Page Panther - Falklands 1982  (Read 23190 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: RAF Handley Page Panther - Falklands 1982
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 02:22:14 AM »
I really like the modified canopy Logan, what did you guys use for a base ?  I think I'll build the XB-51 I have a bit like this.

Only comment I would make (and I realise I'm really late to the party), I don't think the forward engine nacelles would have been that profile.  They look a little too much like early Meteor nacelles and flight testing had proven that the shape of the nacelle actually restricted the aircrafts top speed.  In the Aerofax book, the Gloster Meteor (by Buttler & Butler), there's a few photos of an Avon/Sapphire powered Meteor FTB, it would give a hint at what a possible nacelle shape could have been.  The air intake was enormous compared to the Derwent engine nacelles.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:30:12 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »
It could have been readied for 'Black Buck 6' or 7?

Yeah, that was one thought that I had that made it "ok" to profile that way.

I really like the modified canopy Logan, what did you guys use for a base ?  I think I'll build the XB-51 I have a bit like this.

Only comment I would make (and I realise I'm really late to the party), I don't think the forward engine nacelles would have been that profile.  They look a little too much like early Meteor nacelles and flight testing had proven that the shape of the nacelle actually restricted the aircrafts top speed.  In the Aerofax book, the Gloster Meteor (by Buttler & Butler), there's a few photos of an Avon/Sapphire powered Meteor FTB, it would give a hint at what a possible nacelle shape could have been.  The air intake was enormous compared to the Derwent engine nacelles.

Thanks, kit (too many "kits" around here), we used the English Electric Lightning T.4 cockpit.

As for the nacelles, though, I have to disagree here.  We used the Avon nacelles almost directly from the Caravelle.  It's the same engine, the same era, the same sort of application, etc.  The only difference is that we removed the "scallops" at the back of the nacelle because noise reduction doesn't matter.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:55 AM »
Thanks, kit (too many "kits" around here), we used the English Electric Lightning T.4 cockpit.
As for the nacelles, though, I have to disagree here.  We used the Avon nacelles almost directly from the Caravelle.  It's the same engine, the same era, the same sort of application, etc.  The only difference is that we removed the "scallops" at the back of the nacelle because noise reduction doesn't matter.
Cheers,

Logan

A-ha! right! I forgot about the Caravelle was Avon equipped ---