Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905730 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #2750 on: May 26, 2021, 03:30:04 AM »
Turbomeca Astazou?
Sure looks like it, or a similar Turbomeca engine.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2751 on: May 27, 2021, 01:50:29 AM »
I'm tempted to do a twin turbo prop one with either PT6As or RR Darts.

I also have a plan for a Zwilling one meted with an airliner version so as to create a Zwilling HE111 airliner.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2752 on: May 28, 2021, 06:45:19 AM »
I'm tempted to do a twin turbo prop one with either PT6As or RR Darts.

I also have a plan for a Zwilling one meted with an airliner version so as to create a Zwilling HE111 airliner.

Yup, three Astazous. My first thought was the Heinkel equivalent of a Dart Dakota. But, somehow, your mention of the Basler BT-67 got me thinking of the older Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three conversions.

Love the idea of a Zwilling airliner  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online apophenia

« Reply #2753 on: May 28, 2021, 06:49:09 AM »
Over on Secret Projects, there was mention of an Israeli proposal for an inflight refuelling conversion of the Gulfstream G550. The only image available is of poor quality but showed the key details. So, I decided to try a sideview.

As a basis, I found a nice photo of a pre-delivery G550 heading for the IDF (I've long had a thing for primered airframes, no idea why.) The IAI mods were to be similar to the in-service IDF Gulfstreams - the SIGINT Nachshon Shavit, Nachshon Eitam Conformal AEW, and now the combo Nachshon Oron.

So, no huge changes ... just some cabin window reductions, enlarged Nachshon tail fairing, ... oh, yeah ... and a whomping great flying boom dangling  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online apophenia

« Reply #2754 on: June 15, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »
NT-40E Radar Aircraft Testbed (callsign RAT 98), a flying signature measurement aircraft, has been modified from a Boeing 737-73W(WL) airliner. Despite its 'lower' designation number, the NT-40E is actually a direct replacement for the B737-200-based NT-43A RTA (callsign RAT 55). The NT-40E has commonality with USAF C-40B combatant commanders carrier and C-40C VIP transports. [1]

[1] The military B737-700 fleet consists of the US Navy's C-40A Clipper, USAF C-40B and C-40C, and now the NT-43E. The nature of any 'C-40D' variant has not been revealed. All T-43A and other B737-200-based military variants have now been retired.

Online apophenia

« Reply #2755 on: June 25, 2021, 07:54:53 AM »
This pair didn't quite fit the timeline of the 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars Group Build.
-- http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?board=98.0

Top A Hawker Harbinger Mk.Ia(T) advanced trainer assigned to 5 OTU at Aston Down in the Cotswolds. This aircraft was lost on a training mission on 23 July 1940. Through fuel starvation (or contamination?), the Harbinger was put down into a field just southwest of Stroud. Unfortunately, an unseen drainage ditch tore the main undercarriage from the aircraft. The wreck was recovered but was written off as unrepairable after inspection at Aston Down.

During the June 1940 invasion scare, bomb racks were built for the Harbinger trainers by Gloster Aircraft. Trucked 20 miles south by road, Gloster technicians installed these racks at Aston Down. By the end of 1940, the Harbinger trainers had been replaced at OTUs by single-seat Hurricanes. The older aircraft, having become maintenance intensive and troublesome, were not missed.

Bottom A Hawker Harrier Mk.II of 1 (Fighter) Squadron, South African Air Force, Kenya, August 1940. Flown by Lt. B. Ronald Dimmock, this fighter was based at Wajir airfield, only 60 flying miles from the Italian Somaliland boundary. Refurbished by Glosters before delivery to South Africa, this Harrier has been repainted in sand-and-stone camouflage with fresh markings. Fuselage roundels would not be modified into Type A1s until very late in 1940.

The victory markings on Harrier '404' are a bit of a mystery. The black fasces probably represents the Caproni Ca.133 bomber (8ª Squadriglia, 25° Gruppo) claimed on 03 August 1940 (a 'kill' shared with Lieutenants Blake and Rushmere). The white fasces may indicate a 'probable'. [1] The SAAF's 1 (Fighter) Squadron had been deployed to Mombasa by ship in late May 1940.

The SAAF received six refurbished Harriers in September 1939 (along with four early-production Hawker Hurricanes). This was intended to bolster and modernize the South Africa force while allowing the SAAF's surviving half-dozen Hawker Fury biplanes to assume a fighter-bomber role. [2] This restructuring paid dividends in East Africa where the Harrier could, at will, break off combat with Italian C.R.32 biplane fighters.

[1] Possible the Fiat C.R.32 fighter claimed as a 'probable' and shared with squadron CO, Major Noël Niblock-Stuart.

[2] The refurbished Harriers were all fitted with 640 hp Kestrel VI powerplants to match the engines of the SAAF's Fury fleet.

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #2756 on: June 26, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Great!  :smiley:
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Online apophenia

« Reply #2757 on: June 27, 2021, 07:26:13 AM »
Cheers Daniel  :smiley:  I linked to the Group Build above but probably should have also made a direct link to my Halfway House Hawkers thread: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9845.0

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #2758 on: June 29, 2021, 06:06:19 AM »
Cheers Daniel  :smiley:  I linked to the Group Build above but probably should have also made a direct link to my Halfway House Hawkers thread: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9845.0

:smiley: ;)
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2759 on: July 09, 2021, 01:26:34 AM »
B737-200

Gaah, a pet peeve, Boeing does not preface their model numbers with the letter 'B'. 

That's attached by ICAO for ATC purposes only and it doesn't used the full manufacturer
designation e.g. 737-200 = B732.

:icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online apophenia

« Reply #2760 on: July 09, 2021, 03:20:02 AM »
Gaah, a pet peeve, Boeing does not preface their model numbers with the letter 'B'...

I keep forgetting that. Alas, this is a misuse which dates back to CP Air days! So apologies in advance for 'usage hysteresis'  :-[

Online apophenia

« Reply #2761 on: July 11, 2021, 07:19:41 AM »
Carlos' exploration of the Stridsvagn 74 has inspired me. I too like the imposing look of the Strv 74 turret. [1] I'm calling my version the Stridsvagn 75 - in FMV nomenclature, the 5th battle tank type armed with a 7,5 cm gun.

For my post-1984 'recycling project', I've moved the Strv 74 turret onto a hull based on the suspension and road wheels of the Strv 103 and Bandkanon 1. This hull was designed for an unrealized MICV - the Infanteri stridsvagn 401 - intended to have some degree of mechanical commonality and mobility with the Strv 103 and Bkan 1. This Isv 401 project was abandoned (partially due to expense, partly to the exceptional characteristics of the PbV 302 APC). The upper hull was then redesigned to produce the Stridsvagn 75 as well as a range of support vehicles (Bgbv 75 ARV and Ingbv 75 AEV).

The Strv 75 is arranged like a Merkava - with the engine to the front and the turret set back on the hull. The complex combo-engine arrangement of the Strv 103 and Bkan 1 has been replaced by a front-mounted 40 hp Volvo-Penta A8DF diesel engine [2] mated to a Perkins X-300-5S automatic transmission. [3] The Strv 75 served for less than a decade in armoured divisions before being passed on to the Hemvärnet (Home Guard). In the early '90s, these tanks were re-fitted with more modern turrets from the Ikv 91 (which, in turn, were being rebuilt as Ikv 104s).

[1] Looks are one thing, performance is another. The 7,5 cm Kanon Strv 74s were ex-Boforskanoner 7,5 cm m/36-37 flak guns. The Strv 74 turret had been designed specifically for these guns but performance did not compare well with the modern 105 (NATO 105 mm L7, Swedish 10,5 cm kan strv 101/'102/'103). Strv 74 muzzle velocity was only 85% that of the 10,5 cm; shell weight was only 64%.

[2] The Volvo A8DF was a heavily-redesigned diesel version of the m/42's A8B petrol V-8 (itself a cut-down, inverted DB 605 V-12 derivative). To alleviate some of the A8B's operating problems. A number of Daimler MB 500-series features were introduced - such as 4-valves per cylinder (returning to the original DB 605 arrangement), Bosch fuel injection pumps, and cooling fins along the crankcase. The A8DF designation indicates the change to Diesel (from Bensin) and Förbättrad (or Improved).

[3] This Perkins-built Allison X-300 derivative replaced the Strv 75 prototype's 9-speed ZF manual transmission.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2762 on: July 11, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
If I was a tank gunner, I'd be spoiled for choices to aim at! Oh, that luvverly shot trap under the turret! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online apophenia

« Reply #2763 on: July 12, 2021, 07:22:29 AM »
If I was a tank gunner, I'd be spoiled for choices to aim at! Oh, that luvverly shot trap under the turret! :-*

Indeed. Like the RW Strv 74 before it, my WHIF Strv 75 would be easy meat for tank gunners. Especially that 'vintage' 1942 hull armour! No need to sweat the shot traps when you have your choice of hull and turret spots to punch straight through  :o

I don't actually know what the Pansartrupperna had in mind for it for its Strv 74s. My guess is that they were intended to sort out the PT-76s and APCs while the Strv 10x types and Robot gunners dealt with the heavier-armoured Soviet tanks.

Anyhoo, Carlos was also speculating about what could be done with Strv 74 hulls. I'm thinking that all but a few were past due for the knackers by 1984. In my imaginings, the handful of remaining viable hulls/running gears become anti-aircraft vehicles. So, here is my take on that: the Luftvärnskanonvagn 43 (Lvkv 43).

Since Bofors had abandoned its VEAK 4062 AA vehicle back in 1965, the Luftvärnskanonvagn 43 needs an available turret. One of the studied Strv 74 rebuild possibilities had been mounting the AMX-13's oscillating gun turret onto the Strv m/42 hull. That led me to the AMX-13 DCA 40 turret with its single 4,0 cm Bofors gun. That turret could be license built in Sweden (as the Luftuftförsvarstorn 43 or Air Defence Turret Lvkv 43).

The Lvkv 43 and its turret would have been all a bit on the small and primitive side (although perhaps more realistic from an ammunition stowage POV than twin 40s?). I'm seeing this Lvkv 43 operating in concert with RBS 70 carriers - possibly beginning with RBS 70 Lavettes on APCs (whif Pbv 301 'LuVäReMo'), [1] later eclipsed by Bofors ASRAD-R turrets on suitably modified Pbv 302s

[1] 'LuVäReMo' for Luftvärns Renovation Modification. (I'm not sure why FMV uses the English 'Renovation Modification' when the Swedish Renoveringsmodifiering would provide the same ReMo acronym?)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2764 on: July 12, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online apophenia

« Reply #2765 on: July 13, 2021, 04:44:05 AM »
I changed my mind about the RBS 70 Lavettes for the Pbv 301 'LuVäReMo' and went straight to the ASRAD-R turret (shown here retracted) on the Pbv 301 hull.

This was prompted by some honcho from the Luftvärnsregementet quoted back in the day as saying that Reservists could easily fire the RBS 70 but they would never hit anything. In effect, 'best leave operating the Robots to the grown-ups' [insert tongue raspberry emoji here].

So here is a Luftvärnsrobotvagn 701 (aka Pbv 301 LuVäReMo) attached to the Luftvärnets stridsskola (LvSS, or Air Defence Combat School), Halmstad, in late 1986.

Online apophenia

« Reply #2766 on: July 13, 2021, 04:45:57 AM »
A quick-n-dirty Matilda II/T-34-85 mashup. Just needed to find that extra 11 inches of turret ring diameter  ;)

Online apophenia

« Reply #2767 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:30 AM »
Back to Sweden ...

Another quick retouch to represent the unbuilt Infanteri stridsvagn 401 MICV/IFV. Obvious differences from the Stridsvagn 75 are the raised dismount section at the rear and the 'recycled' Pbv 301 torn armed with a 2 cm Bofors akan m/45B. The commander's hatch is also taken from the Pansarbandvagn 301. Had the Isv 401 been built, that commander's hatch would likely have been raised to improve situational awareness.

This Isv 401 is shown with manoeuvre markings ('A14' temporarily applied with tape). Had the Infanteri stridsvagn 401 been produced, it would have been eclipsed by the Stridsfordon 90 in less than a decade (the Strf 90 being both mor practical and heavier-armed). Too heavy for the Hemvärnet, the Isv 401 hulls would have been repurposed as engineering support vehicles.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #2768 on: July 13, 2021, 08:28:55 AM »
Hey, I love your work on Swedish armour. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Online apophenia

« Reply #2769 on: July 14, 2021, 05:27:49 AM »
Hey, I love your work on Swedish armour. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Praise indeed! Thanks Carlos ... your work was the inspiration  :smiley: :smiley:

Online Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #2770 on: July 15, 2021, 12:23:42 AM »
A quick-n-dirty Matilda II/T-34-85 mashup. Just needed to find that extra 11 inches of turret ring diameter  ;)

That looks legitimate

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #2771 on: July 24, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »
Looks so right! :-* :-* :-*

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2772 on: August 04, 2021, 03:14:54 AM »

Or a reduced diameter turret basket with the turret itself running on a larger
diameter turret race mounted on the top of the hull.
 ;)

Yay, bigger gun, bigger turret, still cramped.  :smiley:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online apophenia

« Reply #2773 on: August 04, 2021, 03:43:55 AM »
Good point on the reduced diameter turret basket/larger race combo. After all, it isn't like these ' Super Matildas' would be mounting, original, Russian-built turrets.

Yay, bigger gun, bigger turret, still cramped.  :smiley:

Yeah, there's the rub. Which brings up another, rather obvious alternative ... which I'm hoping a future backstory will allow feigned originality  ;)

BTW: A belated, diasporic Happy BC Day, Jon  :D

Online apophenia

« Reply #2774 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=144.msg187148#msg187148

Logan's Ratel 85 got me wondering about a turreted 8x8 variant. That might sound redundant in light of the 8x8 Rooikat but the latter wouldn't really be in wide SADF service for another decade.

So, spinning off from Logan's concept, here is a revised 8x8 Ratel weapon carrier derivative. No longer an IFV, this 8x8 has its engine compartment moved to just behind the driver's compartment. (I'm not sure what that engine would be ... but something bigger than the RW Ratel's 282 hp Büssing diesel.) The new engine pair - and a second pair of steering wheels - displace the side doors (but the rear door can be enlarged for reloading, etc.).

The two variants shown here are a tank destroyer and an SP gun. The former is the Ratel 100, mounting a captured T-55 turret armed with a Soviet 100 mm D-10T or D-10T2S gun. The latter is the Ratel 122, armed with a captured 122 mm D-74 field gun. The point, as in Logan's Ratel 85 scenario, is to be able to make use of ammunition stocks captured in the field rather than being dependent upon long supply lines.