Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905793 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1275 on: March 26, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »
Yeah, folks may have made fun of the Pinocchio's nose but left those other Daks in the dust  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Schwann90

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #1276 on: March 27, 2016, 01:00:20 AM »
Thank you, i meant the Mustang, you have several very nice designs but this one just looks damn neat.

EDIT: Im ''Senji'', i just realized that somewhow i was posting with an very old acount i used just to admire things here before making one with my name to post, i didnt mean this and im gonna switch back...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:10:20 AM by Schwann90 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1277 on: March 31, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
Hey, mate, just letting you know I've started on my 3D interpretation blending these 2D images. ;)

* aslav-4x4-recce-stealth.jpg (46.7 kB, 685x379 - viewed 37 times.)

* aslav-4x4-recce-sabre.jpg (82.26 kB, 779x410 - viewed 30 times.)

Point to note: the Marder turret has the same ring diameter (+/- a tiny bit) as the ASLAV but the fitment is totally different between the 2 kits being used.

Link to build thread: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6197.0
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:09:15 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1278 on: April 07, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »
Old Wombat: Following with great interest!

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter Developments - Orenda Turbojets

As the CL-90 was prepared for production as the CF-104, Canadair was approached by the producer of its J79 powerplant, Orenda Engines Ltd. Noting that the afterburning General Electric turbojet was not ideal for the RCAF's planned low-altitude strike role, Orenda suggested a remedy.

Orenda has studied the possibility of adapting the Starfighter airframe to the Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan. But the low-altitude role planned for RCAF CF-104s suggested a simpler alternative. Orenda's own Iroquois turbojet had roughly the same diameter as the Spey. But the Spey's full-reheat thrust could be matched by the Iroquois without recourse to afterburning.

Substituting an unreheated version of Orenda's Iroquois for the licensed J79 was a matter of slightly enlarging the Starfighter's removable rear fuselage section. Weight was not an issue since removing the Iroquois' large, Solar afterburner gave exactly the same dry weight as the afterburning J79-OEL-7 - 3,850 lb. The benefit would be the fuel savings made by using the PS-13U Iroquois' dry thrust of 19,250 lb.st in place of the J79's 17,835 lb.st in afterburner.

Canadair refined the Orenda concept slightly (removing the outer of three engine shrouds) and it was submitted to the RCAF as the Starfighter UOI (for Unreheated Orenda Iroquois). A second concept, more radical deviation from the original CF-104 was put forward at the same time. This 'Starfighter Strike' was to be powered by twin Orenda PS-18 Haida turbojets. [1] The engine pods were separated from the fuselage by a new stub wing section. The standard Starfighter wings were now outer panels attaching to hoop frames around the engines. By podding the engines, much of the fuselage could be dedicated to carrying fuel.

[1] The PS-18 Haida was, in effect, a scaled-down PS-13 Iroquois. In this case, the afterburners were retained, producing 9,850 lb.st in full afterburner.

Offline phoenix54

• Holding Pattern
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #1279 on: April 07, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
Like the 'Starfighter Strike' concept, also gave a larger wing area, possibility of fewer 'smoking holes*'?

*Not quite urban myth, BUT.................
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded

For my lifes love, Angie Connor 10/02/1961 - 11/11/2002
I'll never forget

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #1280 on: April 07, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »
Thanks to come back to aircraft (I like only aircraft as far as I am concerned, sorry...).
I love your 2nd Starfighter/Orenda proposal, so streamlined and pretty... :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1281 on: April 09, 2016, 04:34:25 AM »
Thanks folks! And here's the next installment ...

Canadair CF-104 Starfighter Developments - Growing the Brand

Neither the 'Starfighter UOI' nor the 'Starfighter Strike' proposal appealed to the RCAF. At the same meeting, however, Canadair also proposed two 'growth' developments related to the 'Starfighter Strike'. Both were larger twin-engined aircraft with the inner, stub-wing growing into trapizoidal inner wings.

The first was another strike aircraft - the CL-205 - this time powered by twin unreheated Orenda Iroquois turbojets. This concept had a much-lengthened fuselage (resulting in the Canadair design office nickname of 'Caber'). Other than having more power than the 'Starfighter Strike', that longer fuselage of this 'UOI Strike' allowed the payload to be fully enclosed.

The second proposal - the CL-207 - was for a two-seat interceptor powered by twin reheated Rolls-Royce Spey turbofans. As with the 'UOI Strike', the armament was fully enclosed - in this case, in a retractable missile bay.

The RCAF was not interested in any engine types not yet in production. This eliminated the 'UOI Strike' for the same reasons as the 'Starfighter UOI' and the 'Starfighter Strike'. The enlarged interceptor concept was of interest but the newness of the Speys were of concern. Could, the RCAF planners wondered, those engines be replaced by the same J79-OEL-7 turbojets that were to power the CF-104 Starfighter?

The result was the Canadair CL-210 which, as the CF-111A Conquest, entered RCAF service in late 1965, replacing CF-101 Voodoos on loan from the USAF.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1282 on: April 09, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
Great!: that is a whole family!

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #1283 on: April 10, 2016, 11:47:52 PM »
I actually find it quite ugly:

Whereas the CC-129 Dakota radar trainer was able to maintain its svelte, fighter-like good looks  ;D

Tophe: Lots of 2-seat F-104 conversion trainers were made. My whif was supposed to be a 'lead-in' trainer ... that is, smaller, cheaper to operate, and more forgiving of trainee pilot error. The idea sprang from the 'widow-maker' reputations of the RCAF's CF-104 Starfighter - which had a loss rate amounting to nearly 40% of the Canadian fleet.

I swear something looking a lot like that has flown over my house twice today. Looks like its been fitted with turbo props and some kind of sensor tail boom. Older RCAF colours, but no military markings that were obvious. I will try and get a pic of it if it buzzes by here again.

Edit... well this is a small world story. Turns out its a mining research company, which twigged my memory - one of the moms at my kids' bus stop is one of their pilots. I'll have to ask if it was her flying around!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:54:23 PM by Gingie »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #1284 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09:07 AM »
Resembles a MAD boom. Were they looking for iron deposits?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1285 on: April 11, 2016, 02:56:09 AM »

Aeromagnetic surveys are used to locate all sorts of deposits.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #1286 on: April 11, 2016, 02:58:12 AM »

I don't think so - more like training a new pilot, they were doing touch & goes it seemed. She lives nearby, maybe she was taking aerial photos of her house! haha!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #1287 on: April 11, 2016, 03:15:34 AM »
Owner is: CGG AVIATION (CANADA) LIMITED.

This Basler BT-67 Surveyor, an ex-Douglas DC-3C owned by CGG Aviation (Canada) Limited of Ottawa, is shown here at Muskoka, Ont.’s Little Norway Memorial Airport on May 10, 2014. A recent Basler BT-67 conversion completed in 2012, the aircraft belongs to one of the world's largest geoscience companies. CGG provides geophysical survey services to the oil, gas and mineral sectors with a large fleet of aircraft and ships. Its Canadian air division includes a de Havilland Canada Dash 7, a CASA 212-CC50, a Diamond DA-42, three Cessna 208s, and a Cessna 404. Most of these were formerly operated by Fugro Aviation. In September 2012, CGG Veritas acquired Fugro’s Geoscience Division, assuming aircraft operations in January of 2013. 

I see the CASA 212-CC50 fly over several times a year.

Here is a brief video of ole needle nose:

! No longer available

Details can be found here.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #1288 on: April 11, 2016, 03:23:11 AM »

Aeromagnetic surveys are used to locate all sorts of deposits.

Actually they are looking for the excessively large fat pensions our politicians get after 5 years of doing nothing. Zippo. Zilch. Zero work.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1289 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:08 AM »
Great!: that is a whole family!

Maybe...but will we see a carrier based variant? ;)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1290 on: April 11, 2016, 08:07:57 AM »
They are, basically, MAD booms.

Because all metals, not just iron, cause small variations in the Earth's magnetic field they can be detected.
I doubt it can tell you what, but it can certainly tell you where there are large deposits of metals (ie: deposits large enough to mine economically).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:22:39 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1291 on: April 11, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »

Theys are, basically, MAD booms.

Thanks for your words, making me dream of a Twin-Lightning that would feature a MAD twin-boom device...! ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1292 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:15 AM »
"Swiftly and Surely" - 430 Squadron CA-164M Skyhawk taxis in at KAF, Dec 2008

This was going to be part of my Canadair series but I got side-tracked. Long story short, Canada's New Fighter Aircraft (NFA) Project plays out differently and the Hornet is not chosen.

Canadair parent company, General Dynamics, offers its F-16A Falcon for the NFA contest but also sweetens the pot. General Dynamics' scheme is to also have Canadair modernize Canada's small but aging fleet of ex-RCN CA-164F (A-4F) Skyhawk attack aircraft.

The modernized Skyhawk concept is to extend the fuselage to TA-4F length while inserting an F-16-style cockpit to maximize commonality. This plan is excepted and, as a result, Canada ends up fielding three combat jet types - the revised CA-164M Skyhawk attack aircraft, the CF-166 Falcon fighter, and the CF-160 Tornado (Tornado F3) interceptor.

Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1293 on: May 09, 2016, 03:41:46 AM »
Nice!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #1294 on: May 09, 2016, 03:48:41 AM »
^what he said!  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1295 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
Thanks folks. My original plan was a little more complicated. Along with the F-16 cockpit, the CA-164M Skyhawk was to be re-engined with a Turbo-Union RB.199 Mk102 turbofan. (I assume there was a Real World Mk102 but I've never heard of one.)

My Mk102 would be a non-afterburning version of the Orenda-built RB.199 Mk103 in the CF-160A Tornado complete with the Tornado's reverse-thrust buckets. The RB.199 is smaller in diameter than the original J52 (28.3 in vs 38 in) so I was imagining Orenda's usual sheathing approach being adapted to directing cool air around the engine to reduce the CF-164M's IR signature.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #1296 on: May 09, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
The F-16 cockpit gives a very modern look to the A-4, let me buy two dozens for a billion $...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #1297 on: May 09, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »
The F-16 cockpit gives a very modern look to the A-4, let me buy two dozens for a billion $...

Yes, that cockpit change does modernize its look.  Good candidate to do in styrene !

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #1298 on: May 10, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
Very nice one!!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #1299 on: May 10, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »
I like this idea! Another for the "gonna do" list!