Modelling > The Floaty GB June 1 - Aug 31

Japanese A9He1-N "Wade" Floatplane Build Thread

(1/2) > >>

Logan Hartke:
I'll get it in by the deadline.  I may need to claim local time for the profile (hint, hint)...but it will get done.

Sorry it's so late and I've not been able to do nearly as much as I originally wanted, but I bought a house over the past month and have been spending much of my time over there painting, moving, etc.

Cheers,

Logan

Cliffy B:
The deadline IS your local time; May 15, 2399 hours.  Good luck!

Logan Hartke:
No, no, I mean the subject of the profile's location--as opposed to my own.   ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke:
Made real good progress tonight.  I don't see any reason I can't get this finished for tomorrow, though I may need to edit in the full backstory later!

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke:
Alright, I finally got the profile finished--as you can see--and just in time, too! In case anyone was wondering, the photo in the first post was Kiska, a hint as to what was coming. I'll put the In Progress shots in this post below.

This is how the initial line art came to me. It wasn't yet broken down into layers and not everything was done. It mainly showed me how much more I had to change the canvas size, for example.

Here I drop in the A9He1 as a single layer, since bringing in all the individual ones would have resulted in the final file being prohibitively large. It ended up being bad enough as it was.

Changed the lighting overall here on the A9He1 while waiting for the layers from Talos. What changed? A lot, but primarily the tail lighting. It looked too fat and balloonish before. It went on a diet for this profile.

Got started on the lighting and shading. Most of the major outrigger float lighting stayed pretty much how it was here.

Got the shading done on the main float.

Started lighting the rudder and the main strut.

Pretty paint and I finally got the major layers from Talos. You can see the whole thing coming together now.

Got the tail extension from Talos. Revised a lot of the float shading and some lighting.

What changed? Well, it's hard to see at this resolution, but I started all the rivet dimple lighting and shading. This is what starts really bringing the float to the next level.

Got the float markings, metal texturing, finished rivet lighting and shading, and basically called the float done. What else is there to do?

A lot left to do, unfortunately. I had to integrate compressed versions of the two Photoshop files (A9He1: 327 MB + Floats: 165 MB), discarding unused layers. After putting the combined file on a diet, I got it down to a svelte 257 MB. Seriously, this nonsense took all day and the file's still huge.

Started on the actual aircraft paint scheme. It went from J-3 Hai-iro to I-2 Tsuchi-iro. Talos gets the manufacturer's data stencil to me. Short version? Talos and I are BIG avgeeks and we take it up to avgeek level 10 for this bit. I've got tons of books and he's fluent in Japanese. The partnership works well.

Final paint, final markings. Finally done! Full backstory and full resolution file should be done tomorrow.

Cheers,

Logan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version