Author Topic: Russell's What-if Gallery  (Read 33395 times)

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
Re: Russell's What-if Gallery
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
And one in the economy size-  :yush:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Everything is wowwing me.  Yes, stunning.
What was source material for building the 1/144 half circle wing ?
Like to try one in 1/72
Bill

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
Wow! :want:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Like to try one in 1/72
Bill

Bill:

The material used is sheet styrene. I have a full tutorial on how to fabricate a parabola wing from paper stock, although it works equally well with plastic. The tutorial is here -  http://russc1.deviantart.com/gallery/

There are other scratchbuilding tutorials in there plus I left a big group of small scale scratchbuilding tutorials over on kampfgruppe144.com in their FAQ area.

RC

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
As always, inspiring stuff.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline finsrin

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
Fascinating to browse your gallery.  Especially for me now working on only my third airplane bash.  Did do some armor bashes long time back.  Thanks much for pointing me to your gallery.  Love seeing so many flying wing versions.  Get the right mix of OOB favorites and bashes of planes, vehicles, boats then can build 10x8 to 10x12 dedicated shed for a diorama.  All of you here with drawings and models got me swimming in ideas.

Bill

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Fascinating to browse your gallery.  Especially for me now working on only my third airplane bash.  Did do some armor bashes long time back.  Thanks much for pointing me to your gallery.  Love seeing so many flying wing versions.  Get the right mix of OOB favorites and bashes of planes, vehicles, boats then can build 10x8 to 10x12 dedicated shed for a diorama.  All of you here with drawings and models got me swimming in ideas.

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Keep in mind that everyone here is moving over from other groups, so they are posting a lot of work from a lot of time. It is fun for me too because some of these I have not seen yet, both the physical and pixel builds.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:34 AM »
Latest and greatest-

:yarr:

There are a lot of sources of inspiration for a good what-if, and this time it is another what-if...In this case a toy. The Air Hogs Storm Launcher RC flyer is an interesting machine. It is a battery-electric "aircraft" that combines several craft into one, acting as a speed boat, then as a hydrofoil, and finally, upon enough speed, taking flight on a pair of stubby wings and a central airfoil joining two very slender catamaran hulls. The toy can fly from water or with its spring loaded undercarriage wheels, take off and land like an aircraft. The Storm can also fly onto and off of ice , snow or clean sand. The versatility and maneuverability of this design called to the temporal vortexes to take its essence and place it in the mind of a Engineer at Grumman Aviation in the late 30's. As a maker of radical and rugged hardware, they are the ideal choice. The challenge was to create a faster, more nimble and adaptable version of the Patrol-Torpedo or PT boat. The solution becomes the SPM-1 Thundercat. The craft is powered by a trio of PW Wasp major engines and later models up-engine with the triple wasp. Designed for patrol duty and shipping attack, the "Spam" is given wings just large enough to that task and never exceed 10,000 feet in its entire lifetime. The craft soon becomes an iconic design, available at the darkest hour, they are produced by both Grumman and General Motors. Operating from runways, sandy beaches, snow, ice and open water, the SPM sets new standards for adaptability and becomes a maid of all work. Roving groups of Thudders' interdict enemy surface traffic by day and night, whatever its size. They hunt submarines, speed raiding parties into enemy shores, extract agents and commando's. Attacking with bombs, torpedo's, rockets and a battery of 6 x 20mm, the machines make impressive strikes. Additionally, they patrol, search and rescue, lay mines and even intercept the opponents bombers by night. Their solid build and great lifting power and speed make them sought after by many users, which include The US Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, the Royal Navy and many other allied forces. In the postwar world, the type remains in limited production and becomes even more widely used as private owners purchase earlier models as the governments go to the hybrid prop - jet versions. Notable private users are research foundations, such as the US Polar expeditions, the Cousteau Society and later, NASA. More rogue operators like smugglers, pirates and racers lay claim to several of the machines. In the brushfire insurgency conflicts around the world, Thudders are often seen on both sides as they are in the Major conflicts of Korea and the Viet conflict. The machines are even seen in the Falklands conflict and the Gulf War I in some of their last showings. An addition to the flying boat, seaplane and the fast patrol boat, the Thundercat is gradually passed by the helicopter and later the hovercraft and VTOL airplanes.

Stargazer2006

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »
What can I say?? Superlative as usual. I really love the Thundercat, and making this design a Grumman was a perfect choice.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »
Like to try one in 1/72
Bill

Bill:

The material used is sheet styrene. I have a full tutorial on how to fabricate a parabola wing from paper stock, although it works equally well with plastic. The tutorial is here -  http://russc1.deviantart.com/gallery/

There are other scratchbuilding tutorials in there plus I left a big group of small scale scratchbuilding tutorials over on kampfgruppe144.com in their FAQ area.

RC

Thanks Russ!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Russ, If Thundercat would be a some sort of replacement for PT boats, maybe any crazy dazzle scheme on it?

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
Sure. Anything from 40's to MARPAT could be tried.

Was also thinking that like the black cat PBY's, an all black scheme.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
OK, new entry-

Among the many designs of airplanes, some of the most interesting are also the most basic, especially those that come close to the most ancient human dream, to fly like the birds in the backyard. Simple hang gliders, ultralights, rocket belts, and parasails promise the closest thing today. Here is my thought on it, the AeroBike, a motorcycle for the wild blue. The machine is basically a prone position vehicle, much like the modern Kawasaki Ninja "Crotch Rocket" or "Rice Rocket" high speed motorcycles. Only the back wheel is a gimbal mounted Turbofan engine sited on a pair of small idler wheels. The forward body has a fairing covered Main wheel, plus a basic set of controls and the wings, which can be varied in sweep to give both the lowest possible takeoff and landing speed, and swept back for high speed in the air. This is a technique very well established in military plane design concepts. The wingtips have small outrigger wheels for stability. The controls are easy to use, similar to the 1250CC bikes in many ways.

The rider will mount the bike and place their feet into the rear pedal guides and strap themselves to the machine with a 4 point harness. The two handgrips when pushed in can become ratchet levers to change the wing sweep and the sweep is set fully open to begin. The engine is started and on any 500 feet of clear level pavement will suffice. The throttle is on the left column by rotating, and the rotation of the right grip will open or close an airbrake / divebrake below the machine, near the tail. The upward or downward push on the levers will cause a roll or bank clockwise or counter...
The foot pedals tilt the engine upward or downward using the thrust to steer into climb or dive. The motions for the feet are like doing a toe raise or balancing back onto the balls of the heels. Also the craft is articulated in the middle so the rider can use their weight to steer, and pushing a single pedal will gimbal the engine right or left to enter turns.
The craft is equipped with two parachutes, a small release-able one for spin recovery and a large which can lower the whole machine with rider to the ground. This is safer than a backpack chute for the rider and the chute will open from a ballistic canister below the bike.

The picture shows a rider out for a mountain view, and race. I created this simple lineart of the bike in Google Sketchup 8 which is a very fast basic tool for creating 3D lineart of planes and buildings and the like. The output export jpg is then completed in PS5 with addition of the rider, coloring, a second sketchup model of a passing airliner and a backdrop from Wikimedia.

The design of the 3D AeroBike is mine as is the character and the airliner from the sketchup library. The plane design is the A380 and the property of Airbus International.

Big 2400x1200 wallpapers are on my gallery at DeviantArt.

AirBike with the wings in takeoff - landing position.

Close up of the pilot's office.

Stopped for a Nav check/potty/smoke....yeah, he's lost too. Buy a GPS-

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 04:47:02 AM »
Outstanding!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 06:56:55 AM »
Outstanding!!!

Indeed! And I love the WhiffAir A380. There really should be more VG micro/ultralights  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
Your work is very creatively styled and distinctive! Thanks for sharing them here.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:38 AM »
Thanks , everyone.

Here is a latest and greatest-

Wanted to try a flying wing replacement for the Tupolev 22 Blinder and starting with the specs, went to a Concorde type wing with a very long chine around the forward crew compartment and nose. Went with 4 engines in the rear instead of 2, although the new ones are a bit smaller. The wingtips are drooped for more stability and the design uses a retractable refueling probe. Decided since it now resembled some of the mid 60's works of the Myasischev OKB more than Tupolev, changed the designation to Myasischev 44 bomber, NATO code name "Blister" (more a reference to that foot problem, than any reference to speed capability) as a fast attack bomber.

The illustration is a basic translation of vector outlines and painting technique with a airfield and crew backdrop.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »
Also tried the Myasischev airframe in a different markings set and a night scene. And so we have the English Electric Vigilant , the next installment of the V-force after the Vulcan. The high speed bomber is shown on a night exercise over urban countryside. (And yes, it was a late - nighter art session, if you notice the cockpits!)

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »
Well, this Vigilant is just show during its UAV systems final test. After them it would be finally possible to use it both with, or without crew, or during very long flights: with crew only as a controllers of some parts of route. It would be very usefull during "Black Buck II" operations in 2029, when they need to strike Buenos Aires directly from Great Britain, after cruise missile strike on Ascension Island.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
Those are very interesting concepts

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »
Thanks J' and J',  I appreciate the comments !

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

Painted in PS5 using a partial photo backdrop and the concept craft in ETO markings for summer of 44'

The Segundo project, known as built -as the Northrop B-27 (given that number after the Martin design was rejected) was produced in 2 versions, a bomber with a glass nose for the aimer' and a gunship version, which I have drawn here.

This was inspired by the Retromechanix gallery thread over in Supporting Materials

Offline finsrin

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 03:06:34 PM »
Can't say "COOL" enough times for B-27 picture  8)

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Certainly a nifty looking beast.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!