Author Topic: Litvyak's profiles  (Read 193845 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Litvyak's profiles
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »
Well, after having a right me of a time getting registered and able to log in, I'm finally here too!

Big Thank You to GTX for getting this new spot going. :)

I debated for a bit whether to take a new username, but I decided against it. One, because this is the name I use at all modelling fora, and two, because forum here or there, Lydia Litvyak was one of my childhood heroes and that's not changing, ever!

I also debated for a bit whether I should post my old profiles too... I may yet do so for my alternate-Hungary ones, but I decided not to repost the AltCan profiles, as they - along with an ever-growing amount of minutiae - can be seen at http://altcan.webs.com/index.htm.

For now, I'll get started with this as-yet unpublished profile: AltCan's Boeing CP-207 Argus II:

"As a replacement for the aging CP-140, the RCAF decided to cut costs by purchasing an existing design (though politics were the reason the RCAF opted for an American-built aircraft, instead of acquiring new-build Canadair CP-140s with upgraded systems). Boeing built the airframes of the first two to P-8 specifications, but apart from flight-related systems and avionics, the aircraft were delivered incomplete in 2009 to de Havilland Canada, who installed the Canadian-designed and built sensor suite and ASW equipment. The remaining 18 units will be built completely by Boeing, including installation of sensors and other equipment, which is to be delivered to Boeing from Canada. As such, the CP-207, while externally virtually identical to the American P-8, is significantly different from its American counterpart. Deliveries commenced in December 2009 with two units to 404 Sqn. A total 30 of to be delivered by 2014 (serials 207001-207030), at which time the last of the CP-140 Aurora are to be retired. "

A new page for the CP-207 has been added to the AltCan site, which, I would ask, if you're interested in my Alternate Canada, do please check regularly, as there are lots of minute details too small to post here that I'm gathering together there (e.g. squadron histories, etc.).

The next batch of profiles will include something for you Aussies, too! ;)
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
Re: Litvyak's profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »
Excellent first profile; keep them coming

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:39:36 AM »
Nifty. Moar!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »
Congratulations for the new one, and thanks for the link (I have discovered the nice Archers there, enriching very much the Mirage family)...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34:53 AM »
Excellent! Maple leaves are always a welcome touch!

Brian da Basher

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »
Moving on with more from the AltCan world...

Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow

Delivery scheme, Arrow Mk. II,  RCAF 417 Sqn, 1961-1965 - silver-leaf roundel, old-style serials.

Second scheme, Arrow Mk. II, RCAF 417 Sqn, 1965-1972 - new-leaf roundel, new-style serials. The new serial system was introduced by the RCAF in 1964 (extended to RCAF and CA aircraft in 1968 as part of the Armed Forces Rationalisation Plan). Though drawings were prepared for the Arrow in late 1963 with the new-style serials and the old roundel, these were never applied before the introduction of the new flag in 1965; when that happened, new drawings were made to reflect the new roundels, and so the jump was made straight from old roundel and old serials to new roundel and new serials.

Final scheme, Arrow Mk. II, RCAF 417 Sqn, 1972-1988. The "air superiority blue" scheme was introduced for air defence aircraft in 1972. Drawings were prepared in 1987 for the Arrow in the lo-viz grey scheme to be introduced in 1988, but the Arrow was retired before any could be repainted.

Delivery scheme, Arrow Mk. II, RAAF 76 Sqn. In late 1961, 15 of the 35 Arrows built were delivered to the RAAF.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:28:26 AM »
 ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
Keep it up and you'll have me singing "O Canada" again, something I practically never do sober.

Gotta love stuff from the Great White North!

Brian da Basher

Offline BadersBusCompany

• Profiler and Blanker...he did say Blanker...whew!
  • Profiler
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
Nice work!! Loving the Arrows  :in-love:
Driving trains when I'd rather be drawing planes!!

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
Some Navy for a change:

The RCN received 16 TBM-3 Avengers second-hand from the US Navy in 1946. The cause is lost to history, but for whatever reason, the 16 aircraft were delivered from the US in this non-standard scheme. Since the RCN had planned on rebuilding these aircraft even before they were delivered, it was decided to not bother repainting them, and they remained in this scheme from delivery in 1946 until they were rebuilt between 1949 and 1951. They received the designation Avenger AS.3 in RCN service. They were flown by VS 880 off HMCS Warrior from 1946 to 1948 and from HMCS Magnificent from 1948 until rebuilding.

Eight of the Avengers were rebuilt in 1949-50 as anti-submarine aircraft with the addition of a MAD pod on the port after fuselage and other sensors, and the removal of the turret. These were designated CSG1 Avenger in the RCN's 1950 designation scheme. The CSG1s were operated by VS 880 on HMCS Magnificent from 1950 to the type's retirement in 1960, having only ever worn this scheme in RCN service.

The other eight Avengers were rebuilt in 1950-51 as AEW aircraft by the addition of an air search radar and the replacement of the after canopy with a solid enclosed space for the radar operators. Designated CWG1 Avenger, they were operated by VAW 890 aboard HMCS Magnificent from 1951 to 1957, when the squadron was redeployed to Maggie's replacement, HMCS Bonaventure. They remained in service until 1962 when they were retired, at which time VAW 890 was stood down (the squadron was reformed only in 1970 when the RCN took delivery of CE-121 Hawkeye AEW aircraft to operate from the second HMCS Bonaventure).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:10:08 PM by Litvyak »

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
Nice Avengers!

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
A whole batch now...

The RCN took delivery of 48 F2H-3 Banshees from McDonnell in 1952 to serve as fighters and fighter-bombers based aboard HMCS Magnificent. Designated CFM1 Banshee, the 48 aircraft were given serials 1001 through 1048 and were split between two squadrons, VF 870 and VF 871; the assignment of the aircraft was denoted both by lettering and by distinctive colouring on the rudder. In 1957, Maggie was decommissioned and the two squadrons were reassigned to her replacement, the first HMCS Bonaventure (CVL 22). The Banshees were delivered in the standard RCN scheme of the time, slate over light grey, and remained so until 1968.

In 1968, as part of the Armed Forces Rationalisation Plan, the Fleet Air Arm's aircraft were redesignated in accordance with a new Unified Aircraft Designation System applicable to all aircraft of the RCN, RCAF and CA. Under this system, the Banshees were given the designation CF-102. In the same year a new paint scheme was introduced for all RCN aircraft not designated as trainers or SAR aircraft, similar to the previous but replacing the slate with dark sea blue 502-101. The Banshees remained in service for two years in the new scheme, until they were replaced by the CF-110N and retired.

When the "new" RCN was established in 1946, amongst the aircraft it inherited were twelve Fairey Barracuda Mk. II torpedo bombers. Given the serials 401 through 412, they were split between two squadrons, VF 825 and VF 826, both stationed aboard HMCS Warrior until her decommissioning in 1948, after which both squadrons became shore-based, VF 825 at HMCS Shearwater and VF 826 at HMCS Patricia Bay. From 1946 to 1950 they wore the standard RCN sea camo scheme; the illustration depicts an aircraft of VF 825.

In 1950, the Barracuda's were redesignated CBF1 Barracuda under the Navy's new aircraft-designation scheme. Also in that year, the slate-over-grey paint scheme was introduced. This was applied to the Barracudas, though they remained in service only until 1952, when they were retired and replaced in VF 825 and VF 826 service by the Hawker Sea Fury.

To fill the need for an FAC/artillery spotting aircraft, the Canadian Army took delivery of forty Cessna L-19s in 1954. Designated Bird Dog Mk. I (serials 501-540), they were also often used in a courier role. This illustration depicts a Bird Dog in the overall green scheme used by aircraft based in Canada, with the early CA roundel and Red Ensign as a fin flash.

CA aircraft based in Europe wore this unique green/brown camouflage; the illustration depicts a European-based aircraft before 1965, with the early CA roundel and Red Ensign.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
Some nice stuff there.  I especially like the pre-Unification birds.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »
...and the second half:

With the introduction of the new Canadian flag in 1965, the red ensign was replaced as a fin flash by the new Canadian flag; at the same time, the CA roundel was replaced by the standard new-leaf RCAF roundel.

Aircraft stationed in Europe received the same updates in 1965 as Canadian-based aircraft.

In 1968, the Bird Dogs were redesignated CO-119 Bird Dog under the Unified Aircraft Designation System introduced as part of the Armed Forces Rationalisation Plan. The only way this affected the CA's painting and lettering schemes was the replacement of the old serial numbers with the new ones, which in the Bird Dog's case were in the 119001 through 119040 range. As an interesting side-note, the 119 designation had been assigned to the Fairchild Boxcar in the RCAF's designation system of 1964 which became the basis for the UADS of 1968, but as the Boxcars were retired by 1967, the 119 slot was free for the Bird Dog, and thus reused - the only case of a re-use of a designation number.

A post-1968 CO-119 in the European scheme.

CO-119s (and other CA aircraft) deployed to Vietnam were repainted in the USAF-style "Southeast Asia" camo scheme also used by the RCAF.

After the withdrawal from Vietnam in 1975, many of the Bird Dogs that returned from Vietnam were reassigned into a training role and repainted into this overall yellow scheme. Though officially designated trainers and were mostly used to pull targets for air defence artillery training, these aircraft continued to serve in a courier role as well. The CO-119s were withdrawn from the FAC/spotter role when the CO-182 Skylanes were taken up in 1979, but 14 continued in their target tug role until 1983, when the type was finally retired.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Some nice stuff there.  I especially like the pre-Unification birds.

Regards,

John

Thanks, glad you like!

AltCan didn't have a unification like RW did, instead there was the "Armed Forces Rationalisation Plan" in 1968. This introduced a "Unified Aircraft Designation System" (based on that of RW, but in-timeline, based on a new system introduced in 1964 by the RCAF), but more significantly, redefined the role of each of the armed services more strictly:

The Army lost all its fixed-wing assets except for the Bird Dogs (and later the Skylanes; the Dynaverts were deemed helicopters for the purposes of the AFRP) - the fixed-wing assets went to the RCAF, and in exchange the Army received all of the RCAF's helicopters, except those assigned to base rescue duties. UAVs are also all Army-assigned, except for those few that were operated by the RCN.

Early in the planning stages of the AFRP, consideration was given to transferring aircraft belonging to RCAF's Maritime Air Command (that is, RCAF's anti-submarine and maritime patrol assets - at the time, the Argus and Neptune) to the Navy. In the end, though, the decision was made that land-based fixed-wing aircraft regardless of role would belong to the RCAF, and the RCN would retain only those aircraft capable of shipboard operations - helicopters and carrier-based aircraft, and, for a brief time, flying boats and a handful of drones.

Offline Bladerunner

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »
Sweet Bird Dogs! :)

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »

The Canadian Army took delivery of 35 Sikorsky H-34s in 1954-55, designating them Blackfoot AHC Mk. 1 under the Army's 1951 designation scheme and assigning them serials in the 601-635 range. Despite the 'AHC' designation, they were used in a variety of roles by Army Aviation. Those aircraft stationed in Canada received the standard overall green scheme.

CAA Blackfeet played an important role in the Army's European operations as well; like other Army Aviation aircraft assigned to Europe, the AHC.1s wore the standard CAA European camouflage.

The 1965 introduction of the new Canadian flag resulted in a modification of the markings on all CAA aircraft. The changes were minor, however, replacing only the flag used as a 'fin' flash and the roundel.

Europe-based AHC.1s also had their roundels and flags replaced - more quickly, actually, than those aircraft based in Canada. While a few Canada-based Blackfeet retained the old roundel and Red Ensign into mid-1966, those in Europe were re-marked within three months of the issue of the new specifications.

As part of the AFRP, the AHC.1s were redesignated CH-125 and given the new serials 126651 through 126685. Further, the Army received the RCAF's two Blackfeet in 1968 (with new serials 126630 and 126631). Apart from slight adjustments to the lettering, no changes were made to the overall finish of Army Aviation's CH-125s; the two taken over from the RCAF, however, were repainted into the standard overall green scheme. This was the last scheme worn by CH-125s. Most were retired in 1971, but the two RCAF units, which had been re-engined with PT6T engines and designated CH-125T, remained in service until 1973.

European-based aircraft likewise received the new lettering; the illustration shows the last CH-125 to wear European camouflage - it was repainted into Southeast Asian camouflage in 1970.

With Canada's entry into the Vietnam War, Army Aviation CH-125s were deployed to Vietnam to serve behind the lines, primarily as ambulances to transport the more seriously wounded to hospital ships; as such, all were marked with the large red cross roundel. Despite being used mostly behind the lines, nine were lost during the war (seven to enemy action). Like the Canadian-based aircraft, the type was withdrawn from use in 1971 and destroyed on the spot in Vietnam.

RCAF:

The RCAF received two Sikorsky H-34s in 1955, which were designated Blackfoot Mk. I and given the serial numbers 9630 and 9631. These were used in the SAR role by 403 Sqn out of RCAF Calgary; illustrated is Blackhawk 9631 as it appeared from delivery in 1955 through to the end of the AB+3 era in 1958.

The lettering of the RCAF's Blackfeet was modified in 1958 when the switch was made from the AB+3 system to the more stable 4+RCAF system. In the Blackfoot's case, in addition to the change of ID markings, this entailed the removal of the full "Royal Canadian Air Force" titles.

In 1964, the RCAF introduced a new aircraft designation system, under which the Blackfoot was redesignated CH-125 Blackfoot, which change required a modification of the lettering on the aircraft. Beyond the change in the numbers, though, the "RESCUE" titles were also changed in colour from black to dayglo orange. Late in 1964, 403 Sqn was redeployed to RCAF Terrace.

By October 1965, the RCAF's CH-125s were repainted along with their other SAR helicopters into a new scheme, distinctive from Navy and Army Aviation SAR helicopters. This scheme was retained until both CH-125s were transferred to the Army in 1968. As an aside, the two CH-125s were re-engined with PT6T engines in 1967.

(With this post comes the first hint of a new Army designation scheme that was in use from 1951 until the introduction of the UADS in 1968. More info later!)

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
What if I win the lottery?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
 :D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
That idea came from a RL experience...

We (dad, stepmum and me) were in Dijon in 2009, and we went on a day trip of seven wineries in the Côte de Nuits, with a tour guide who drove us around so we didn't have to worry about the drinking bit.

Anyways, part of the trip was a visit out to the grapes, and as we were standing in the Clos de Vougeot, the guide talking about the vines, I heard a noise... looked up... saw two Mirage 2000s fly by. I got excited, of course, and yelled, "Dad! Mirages! Look!"... after which the guide looked at me a little oddly, and suggested that if I like airplanes, we should go to Savigny-les-Beaunes, to the Chateau Savigny, which is a winery in itself, but with an additional attraction: a museum of around 80 aircraft, 300 motorcycles, 20 firefighting vehicles, some dozens of Abarth racing cars (the owner of the chateau raced Abarth cars), and a bunch of old "long-legged" tractors for vineyards. What a perfect spot - airplanes and wine together! (We got a few bottles of their wine, too, of course...)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »
Love the Blackfoot AHC! But I'm amazed at how good the Bird Dog looks in all-over yellow. Nice!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:25:41 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
I love your altcan site and profiles though I think it's a shame that they bought the Banshee instead of the Canadair/NAA-Columbus proposal that crossed the Orenda-powered Sabre with the F-86K and navalized it using experience from the Fj-2/-3 Fury.  That would be a most interesting aircraft.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
....oooh. THAT sounds nifty. Never heard of the proposal...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:17 AM »
It does, doesn't it! Any more details on that Jon?

I'm imagining a Sabre Dog nose, CL-13 aft fuselage, FJ-3 noseleg and wings.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
....oooh. THAT sounds nifty. Never heard of the proposal...

The only reason I know of it is that I used to work with a gent who'd been in NAA-Columbus' Advanced Design group.  You'd want the F-86K nose with the 30-mm cannon rather than the F-86D nose with the retractable unguided rocket launchers and they'd likely use the Sabre Mk.6 aft fuselage with the more powerful engine.  Other than that, I reckon apophenia has nailed the basics.