Modelling > Land

Centurion Tank Ideas and Inspiration

<< < (32/32)

Gingie:

--- Quote from: apophenia on August 10, 2022, 03:54:44 AM ---
Krauss-Maffei handed over the first Leopard C1s in June 1978. So why was Teledyne proposing a Centurion update to DND when the Leopard C1 had already replaced Canada's Cents (at least half a decade prior)? It doesn't make any sense.

--- End quote ---

The Cents would have been phased out as the Leopards began to arrive, so there would be a period where they could have been modernized and replaced the Shermans in the Militia armoured regiments.

As an aside, I can look out my window and see the Reserve Service Battalion's LSVW - a truck that has been available for auction purchase for a few years now, while versions are still operational. Perhaps the timing of Teledyne's offer was based on similar circumstances?

Talk about a great What-If though! RCD Centurion Mk XII LPT (D) in the FRY.

apophenia:
Graeme: So, with the Leopard C1 fully in service, the Centurions would have been 'put out to pasture' (until their sale to Israel is agreed to and/or approved by Ottawa). That would make a kind of sense out of the Teledyne upgrade proposal.

I like your upgrade the Centurions for the Militia idea. Hmmm ...

[Edit] I saw one source that claims that the Leopard C1 purchase was conditional upon Krauss-Maffei take the Canadian Centurions as 'trade-ins'. If true, Israel bought those Centurions from German brokers - not directly from Canada. Anyway, only a minor fly in any whiffing ointment  :smiley:

Gingie:
Like the Swedes Strv 104 Centurion - officially MBT role phased out by Leopard 2 in 1992, yet, some Strv-104 were still in service as late as Y2K!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version