Modelling > SciFi & Fantasy

Space Fighters

<< < (10/10)

GTX_Admin:
We're getting closer:  USAF issues RFP for fighter aircraft laser weapon  ;)

Camthalion:

--- Quote from: upnorth on July 21, 2012, 04:45:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Weaver on July 02, 2012, 03:50:21 AM ---

Any British equivalent would be hamstrung by the unsuitability of Britain as a launch site (too far north)....

--- End quote ---

Not at all!

Britain would have any one of a number of former colonies in closer geographic proximity to the equator to strike a deal with for setting up a launch site. It would be no different than France shooting their Arianne rockets from Guyana.

India or Malaysia would be perfect places inside the Commonwealth to set up such a launch site. Both are quite close to the equator and both are quite industrialized nations with technically skilled work forces. Not only would you have a good location, you'd also have a good local labour pool to hire from as well to save you from bringing in too many staff directly from Britain.

Definitely doable for Britain

--- End quote ---

I seem to recall someone, can't remember who, talking about building a launch facility on Cape York some years ago.

GTX_Admin:
There was a lot of interested in a Cape York Space Launch complex but it all died.  Just do a search on "Cape York Space Base" and you will get plenty of articles and the like such as this:  https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2016/may/13/cape-york-space-station-wouldve-been-out-of-this-world.html

Its a pity that it never happened as both myself and my wife would probably be working there if it had happened.  Cape York is also a far, far more practical solution than Woomera which really has only ever been a test range and extremely unpractical as a space launch facility despite what is sometimes said.

GTX_Admin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version