Author Topic: Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft  (Read 161225 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:24 AM »
Ah, very neat, Stéphane!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:36 AM »
Looks very nice indeed.  I've always thought the Seiran/Nanzan was a nice looking ship.

I'd suggest that they erred with the national markings under the left wing though.  It was a rarity to see it used under both lower wings.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
Great Gallery , Gazer'. Always liked the whiff as advertisement and graphic art Style.

:meaw:

Russ

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
Great Gallery , Gazer'. Always liked the whiff as advertisement and graphic art Style.

:meaw:

Russ

I second that! :want:

Lauhof

Stargazer2006

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
It's nice when the work is not only fun to do, but appreciated by connoisseurs...  :)

Although I'm mostly into photo-manipulation, I have come to appreciate the profiling side of things to a certain extent. In most cases I work from existing plans which I manipulate in pretty much the same fashion as the photos, but on occasion I DID create profiles or three-views from scratch. Anyway, today I thought I should treat you to...

Some unusual profiles (Part 1)

Boeing Belphegor US Army transport

Here is something I had on the side for a few weeks, the Boeing Belphegor. As you can see, this is a cross between the Polish PZL M-15 Belphegor and the Boeing CH-47 Chinook. I don't think the scales of the two match in real life... As usual, consider this as a marrying of shapes rather than a possible real-life combination...

Grumman Manxcat fighter-bomber

What exactly do you call a cat without a tail? That's right, a manx cat. Well, here is the Grumman Manxcat... a tailless fighter-bomber.

Westland-Delanne Weymouth I

Is there anything weirder that the real-life Westland-Delanne P.12 prototype? Well, yes, a float version thereof!!

Vought ES-5A Kingfisher II

Another "forgotten" piece from last year: the Vought ES-5A Kingfisher II, a multipurpose aircraft combining the Electronic Warfare and ASW missions. The original, real-life Vought OS2U Kingfisher was an observation/scout floatplane series of the 1930s. It seemed logical, therefore, that this new type should be called the Kingfisher II...

Martin-Northrop XP-65 Meteor

I was taking a look at Logan Hartke's excellent Martin XB-51 and Northrop XP-61F color profiles, and the silly idea of combining them into one single aircraft dawned on me... Of course the end result owes very little to each of the original designs, but it's mostly made of bits and pieces cut, reshaped, resized from Logan's artwork. About 40 layers in all, and I accidentally merged them on saving! Needless to say that was most frustrating... (full story of the XP-65 can be read here http://bispro.deviantart.com/gallery/24200217?offset=24#/d45qw6c).

Royal Navy Fairey Gumbo I

The Fairey Gumbo was developed using Bagera3005's profile of the real-life Gannet as a basis.

Grushin DSh Dvoinoi Tandem

Going through a forum topic on the Soviet Kalinin K-12 prototype, in which the Grushin Sh, or Tandem was also discussed, I was inspired to create a development of the latter called the Grushin DSh Dvoinoi Tandem (Double Tandem).

Sud-Ouest (S.N.C.A.S.O.) SO.2000 Roussette

Another German jet spin-off was the S.N.C.A.S.O. (Sud-Ouest) S.O. 2000 Roussette, a rocket plane evaluated by the French Aéronavale in 1946 and derived from a wartime Messerschmitt study. Please note that the word "roussette" in French refers to both a variety of shark and a variety of bat, a fitting play on words for a bat-like and offensive naval type.

USMC Ryan XN2R-1 Fireblaze

When the US Navy and Marine Corps were looking for an advanced trainer, both piston and jet configurations were considered. Ryan submitted their Model 33 Fireblaze, which was evaluated by the USMC in 1946-47 as the XN2R-1. The US Navy prefered to go the piston route and opted for North American's XSN2J-1, the forerunner of the Trojan.

Vought A-11A Corsair III

Although the U.S. Marines rejected the Vought Corsair II, they showed interest in a reworked version that featured two dorsal air intakes instead of the wide ventral one. Procured as the Vought A-11A Corsair III, it entered service in 1981 (NOTE: the A-11A also appears earlier in this thread in photo form).

Lockheed Martin/Aermacchi AL379 StrikeStar

Glanini's profiles of the Aermacchi M.346 on the What If forum inspired me to create this elongated version, the Lockheed Martin/Aermacchi AL379 StrikeStar.

Nord Aviation 4500 Noralcor

The Nord Aviation 4500 Noralcor was a lengthened, four-wing derivative of the famed Noratlas to transport freight and paratroopers. The Nord 4501 variant was for freight only. The 4502 was a in-flight refueling variant (NOTE: caption wrongly refers to the plan as depicting the Nord 4501 when it should read "4500").

Kaiser-Fleetwings XO2K-1 Seabird II

A little something I did by modifying an existing design into an economical 1944 U.S. Navy observation type, the Kaiser-Fleetwings XO2K-1 Seabird (the Seabird name had been previously used by that company for a commercial flying boat). Can you tell what I started from? (I haven't changed it much...).

Henschel Hs 626 Narwal

The Hs 626 Narwal was an experimental aircraft of the wartime Luftwaffe made up of two existing Henschel designs blended into one, the Hs 129 and the P.75 (with the cockpit of a Messerschmitt Me 163 added for a more advanced look). This pusher aircraft with contra-rotating propellers was meant to carry two target drones, one under each wing.

Sikorsky YCH-60Z Stealth Hawk

Following the discussions on various forums about the mysterious "black" helicopter that crashed over Bin Laden's final abode, this was my little contribution to what a stealthy mod of the Black Hawk could look like... I used a profile that was found at militaryphotos.net as a basis. I modified the nose's shape, made the landing gear retractable and removed as many appendices as possible for cleaner streamlining. I also added the tail fairing at the rear and blended the tail unit a bit more into the dorsal spine. This image sort of lived a life of its own in the weeks to follow as it was republished on various sites along other artist's views of the same.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
That Kingfisher II is nice!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »
Some brilliant stuff there.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Stargazer2006

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
My first photomanip for 2012 is the Piaggio P227 Ashanti, a double-decker development of the successful Avanti.

Besides the obvious reworking of the fuselage...
... The tail was reshaped and the horizontal stabilizer extended.
... The canard was enlarged.
... The wing was extended and two extra engines were added.
... The wheels were all enlarged.

Original photo by Stephen Lane is attached for reference. Enjoy!!!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:01:09 AM by Stargazer2006 »

Offline Bladerunner

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »
Great work on the Ashanti!

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »
I like the Ashanti.  Still a good looking ship if a bit curvier.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Just saw this posting for first time.  Many favorites.  Model 98 Stardust is one of favorites.

Bill

Stargazer2006

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, folks, and finsrin, I'm glad you've discovered my gallery and enjoyed it!!

Today I'm sharing with you all the second installment in the profiles and plans series...

Some unusual profiles (Part 2)

A U.S. Navy fighter prototype, the Fairchild-Republic Thunderfighter, which is basically a combination of their AVS and FX proposals...

My first Chinese "whif", the Chengdu FB-3 (NATO: "Fastlane") fighter, made up from bits and pieces of U.S. aircraft!
The fuselage is from an F-111 and an F-18, the tail fin is from an F-18, the cockpit is adapted from that of a P-51D (!), the nose cone is from an Su-27...

The original G-55 design was a 1943 torpedo bomber project which would have been designated XTB2F-1 by the Navy if built. The aircraft was canceled and only a full-scale mockup was built. As I've always liked the G-55, I took an existing line art profile and reworked it as a medium size transport as follows: I raised the wing slightly (it was already a high wing aircraft), removed the turrets and guns, added windows and did the coloring and shading. Even if it stays kid of basic, I'm quite satisfied with the result on the whole. What do you think? The real world C-104 designation was initially allocated to what became the Lockheed C-60C Lodestar. In my "what-if"world it was immediately reassigned to Grumman's G-55-2 Bobcat... A Navy variant designated RF-1 is still in the plans.

De Havilland DH.88TT Comet Trainer

An unexpected development of the De Havilland D.H.88 Comet, the DH.88TT Comet Trainer ("TT" standing for "Tandem Trainer").

Vought XBTU-1 Trident

The Vought XBTU-1 Trident may look like the unflown F5U Skimmer ("flying pancake") prototype at first glance, but it is in fact very different. The body and wings were flipped (front is now rear) and three booms were added at the rear to hold a wide triple tail.

As I do not share the somewhat morbid fascination that many modellers have for Third Reich militaria, I do not often tackle aircraft topics of that era and place... However I absolutely love some of the designs such as the Dornier 335 and its planned derivatives. Here is the Dornier Do 835 Libelle (Dragonfly) which would have been a natural evolution as an airliner had Germany not been at war with the Allies... I created this using the Junkers Ju 635 derivative as a basis; I then grafted the vertical fin from the Heinkel He 535 project, and the (modified) cockpit and wheel trains from a Horten Ho 229... Sort of a German Douglas Skybus...

Ask me what's my favorite helicopter design ever, and I'll tell you "S-67 Blackhawk" in a hearbeat...
Since I can't top this design, this is bound to be more ungainly, but it was fun nonetheless. Here's the Sikorsky S-670 White Condor demonstrator, a much enlarged transport derivative. It was produced as a demonstrator for small commuter airlines and troop transport...

In 1938, a Frenchman by the name of Augustin Cappe, who had started as an ironmonger in the northern town of Douvrin (Pas-de-Calais) and had then spent his whole life designing and building experimental motorbikes, bikes and all manners of machines, set up the Avions Cappe company and started work on his first aircraft, the C.100. This was a small elegant twin-engine two-seater that appealed so much to the king of nearby Belgium, Albert 1er, that the latter offered to purchase the prototype for his personal use. Cappe's next design was a medium-sized 10-passenger twin-engine transport which he destined to commercial use, being approached by Belgian airline SABENA over a possible order for 10 aircraft. The Cappe C.101 was a sleek and beautiful design for its time that represented a major leap forward compared to most of its French equivalents. However, the outbreak of the Second World War put an end to Cappe's efforts, and the only two airframes he had built were taken over by the French Armée de l'Air as staff transports. Confiscated by the Germans but apparently never used, they were found in a hangar after the war and drafted briefly at the Amiens base after being refitted with radial engines. Unfortunately, Augustin Cappe had died in prison in 1942 and had no male offspring to take over his activities. With no spares or company documents left to service them, the aircraft decayed rapidly, being both scrapped in 1950.

The Seversky AA-1 Archer was a stretched development of the AP-1/EP-1/P-35 series for three crew, with a gun turret at the rear end of the cockpit. Filling both the fighter and attack roles, it was procured by the Army Air Corps as the A-15A and 68 examples were produced and delivered in 1936.

A new installment in my series of offbeat and rare types... The FMA I.Ae.39 Charrán ("Tern"), an Argentine advanced trainer of the mid-1950s whose designer was a German engineer who, like Kurt Tank, had worked at Messerschmitt during the war, notably on the Me 262...

(WATCH OUT FOR PART 3 OF THE PROFILE SERIES!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:28:37 PM by Stargazer2006 »

Offline Bladerunner

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 03:44:55 AM »
Love the new cockpit layout on the White Condor.
Also the FMA I.Ae.39 Charrán has very pleasant lines.
 :want:

Offline finsrin

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 05:18:52 AM »
As much as I super like Vought XBTU-1 Trident, make for cool model.  Have problem with landing gear placement and rotating for takeoff.
Be nice to have time and skill to build many concepts I'm seeing pictured by everyone.

Bill

Offline Maverick

• Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »
Some really nice pics there.  The FB-3 and Charran are standouts for me.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
As much as I super like Vought XBTU-1 Trident, make for cool model.  Have problem with landing gear placement and rotating for takeoff.
Be nice to have time and skill to build many concepts I'm seeing pictured by everyone.

Bill
:) ;) :D ;D HEE HEE HEE
Just build it bubba :yush: Wheels up :slow: Then just maybe scribe some panels in the belly to represent landing gear :serious-business:
This is the essence of whiffery :) We are all frustrated engineers  :in-love: but we get to strafe our pets with our creations and let other folk argue about where the landing gear will fit :) :in-love:

Offline finsrin

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »
Yep - fudged landing gear bassackwards in wheel wells of last two bashes so they will stand on all three.  OK, I'm with ya.....

Bill

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 06:51:19 AM »
I don't know which of these I like best, the Archer, the Avions Cappe or the Comet Trainer. They're all wonderful and imaginative and made me smile.

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »

A new installment in my series of offbeat and rare types... The FMA I.Ae.39 Charrán ("Tern"), an Argentine advanced trainer of the mid-1950s whose designer was a German engineer who, like Kurt Tank, had worked at Messerschmitt during the war, notably on the Me 262...

This one wins.  Very nice!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Many interesting things here,I know some of them,you do a good job Stephane...keep up

Alex
Alex

Stargazer2006

Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft: Ryan XSR-1 « Firescout »
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
Here is the Ryan XSR-1 Firescout, one of the unfortunate contenders for the US Navy's armed scout competition won by the Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk.

The whole Firescout project is detailed in a parallel topic in the "Inspiration" section: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=275.0

First picture is an imaginary ad. The original photo displayed a Seahawk, and was reworked with a Fireball's fuselage, in turn reworked to match the three-view arrangement. The catchphrase « New "Flying Eye" for the Navy » is taken straight from... a Curtiss Seahawk ad of the era! The pilot is from a Flying magazine article. The Firescout logo is made up of letters taken from another Ryan ad and slanted. The fire image is a clipart I found on Google.

This is one project that will eventually lead to a plastic build using an Antares 1:72 Seahawk model and a 1:72 model of the Fireball (if I manage to find one).

Somebody questioned the positioning of the main float in the "other" topic. This particular aspect may still change, as the shape of the wing tips. Of course I'm open to any comments or suggestions!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:19:41 AM by Stargazer2006 »

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »
Love the Firescout!

Stargazer2006

Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft: Martin YF-97A « Midget »
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:48 PM »
 Here is the Martin YF-97A Midget:

This one was elaborated using a Convair XFY-1 photo as a basis.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
Cool, that would fit in my garage!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
You know, I was just thinking about something like that as a XF-85 alternative. The way you did it is cool!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:21:24 AM by Empty Handed »