Author Topic: Some of My Stuff  (Read 20650 times)

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Some of My Stuff
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »
Starting with land-bound profiles inspired by the thread "51st State" on the alternatehistory board. This is something I've envisioned British police going if they were ever part of the Union. To read "51st State" you will have to register.

Hertfordshire Constabulary
The Herts Constabulary was one of the early adopters of "Continental" police vehicles, choosing Dodge Stratuses and Intrepids. They've stuck with Dodge through to the present, with Avengers in general patrol, Chargers in road policing units, and Durangos in supervisor and special units. Currently, the Herts Police sport a number of liveries, but are starting to standardize the fleet's paint job.

This Avenger is painted in the Force's old slate blue livery with a single red line between the words Hertfordshire and Constabulary.

This Charger is painted in the livery unique to the Force's Road Policing Unit. Rumors are they will be repainted. (Profile base from TheBlueprints.com)

Durango-Inspector (Supervisor)[/URL] This Durango is the Day Shift Inspector's Unit. Durangos also serve in the Roads Policing Unit and with the Dog Section. This is the current livery that will eventually be applied to the entire fleet.

Humberside Police
Humberside Police primarily uses Ford vehicles in its fleet, due to the County Council adopting a measure to have all County vehicles burn alternative fuels and diesel. The force uses diesel Focuses in its Neighborhood Policing Units and propane-fueled Crown Victorias in general patrol. Ranger Diesels (the European Ranger) are used by supervisors and special units. The vehicles depicted are one of the Tauruses adopted in 1997 and a current LPG fueled Crown Vic. It is rumored that with the demise of the CVPI, Humberside will move to diesel BMWs, Focuses, and Mondeos, as the current Taurus Police Interceptor is only offered with gasoline engines.
1997 Taurus Police[/URL]

2011 CVPI[/URL]

London Metropolitan Police
The Met was one of the early adopters of not only a single-make fleet, but also an entirely left-hand-drive (due to the former) fleet in the mid-90s, due to the realities of attempting to maintain a fleet composed of different marques. The force started with mid-size Lumina 9C3s, and was one of the launch agencies for the 2002 Impala 9C1. Since 2006, The Met maintains a fleet of Malibu 9C3s and Impala 9C1s.

Malibu 9C3. General patrol unit.

Impala 9C1. Some are general patrol, but some in the central boroughs are supervisor and dog units.

Thames Valley Police
Thames Valley Police stayed with their fleet of Vauxhalls until 2002, when they purchased Impalas in a joint bid with the Metropolitan Police. The 2002-2005 Impalas were dark green with the force's logo. In 2006, the force chose a radical new paint scheme, which debuted on TVP's current Impalas, also purchased in the same lot as the Met. TVP also uses Tahoes as poor-weather patrol vehicles, supervisor's units, and specialty units. In 2011, TVP purchased the new Caprice PPV, in a joint order with the Parma Police in the Continental state of Ohio. Eventually, TVP hopes to replace its Impalas with the Caprice.

2002 Impala 9C1. The green scheme was not well received, especially with the logo used then.

2006 Impala 9C1. The first iteration of the current scheme used a smaller TVP logo and smaller "POLICE" lettering. Not focused, taken in a moving vehicle...

The Caprice PPV is TVP's newest general patrol vehicle, slated to eventually replace the Impalas.

Tahoe 4x4 Supervisor's Unit. TVP also uses Tahoe PPVs (RWD) in its Traffic unit.

Thoughts, opinions, flames?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Some of My Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
Very well done. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
Nice .... something a bit more colourful maybe ?  Blue & yellow squares as used by UK & NZ perhaps ?
Or you could do like our Aussie pursuits --- colour + colour (the fluro lime-green Ford Falcons look nice)

How about a new Mustang Pursuit ?
I'm told that, after a brief flirt with colour, most US units have gone back to Black & White

Couldn't find that 51st State thread on AltHistory -- their search engine don't seem to work :(
you got a url for it ?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:58:20 AM by raafif »

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »
Nice .... something a bit more colourful maybe ?  Blue & yellow squares as used by UK & NZ perhaps ?
Or you could do like our Aussie pursuits --- colour + colour (the fluro lime-green Ford Falcons look nice)

The Battenberg markings were butterflied away as a result of the British States entering the Union. Australia and New Zealand are American "states" in this timeline as well.

How about a new Mustang Pursuit ?
I'm told that, after a brief flirt with colour, most US units have gone back to Black & White

I have to find a Mustang profile to do that. And other US agencies have gone from black and white to overall black, white, blue, red, etc. Depends on the individual agency.

Couldn't find that 51st State thread on AltHistory -- their search engine don't seem to work :(
you got a url for it ?
[/quote]
That doesn't surprise me, Search has been wonky for a while. http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=145720
You must register before you can read the thread, it's in a part of the site only open to members.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
thanks for that URL -- I am a member there.

Ah - not surprising that Oz is a US state too - since 1942 we have leaned nore towards the US than UK in everything from military equipment to soap operas & life-style -- & NZ is just a "protectorate" of Oz anyway :o :icon_punal:

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Raafif, what's your handle on alternatehistory? Work and real life got in the way a little bit, and delayed some more 51st State-inspired profiles. But, tonight, I have finished a few of them. This trio are London Fire Brigade apparatus with an American twist. All three are from the Wimbledon fire station.

"Rescue 8" is a KME Predator Heavy Rescue. Per LFB protocol, the fleet number is 'FRU 8.'

"Tower 8" is an Aerial Ladder Platform. This Rosenbauer T-Rex 105' is one of the largest apparatus in the LFB fleet, the others being Pierce and Smeal platforms throughout the rest of the city.

"Engine 8," or in LFB parlance, Dual Pump Ladder, is a Rosenbauer body on a Freightliner chassis. The fleet number is DPL 1178.

Now, something I missed. Merseyside Police Service's Ford CVPI. Rumors are that the force will transition to Chevrolet Impala 9C1 or Caprice PPV.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
Good stuff... :)

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:45:06 AM »
Nice to see alternative whif 'canvasses'. Bring on those wheeled vehicles!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »

Thames Valley Police
Thames Valley Police stayed with their fleet of Vauxhalls until 2002, when they purchased Impalas in a joint bid with the Metropolitan Police. The 2002-2005 Impalas were dark green with the force's logo. In 2006, the force chose a radical new paint scheme, which debuted on TVP's current Impalas, also purchased in the same lot as the Met. TVP also uses Tahoes as poor-weather patrol vehicles, supervisor's units, and specialty units. In 2011, TVP purchased the new Caprice PPV, in a joint order with the Parma Police in the Continental state of Ohio. Eventually, TVP hopes to replace its Impalas with the Caprice.

My son-in-law would be sqirming, he IS the Thames Valley Police's fleet manager!  :)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »

Thames Valley Police

My son-in-law would be sqirming, he IS the Thames Valley Police's fleet manager!  :)
Wonder what he would think about the Tahoes.... And the single-marque fleet, given the mish-mash of Vauxhalls, Fords, BMWs, and Skodas in service with various departments over there...

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
Heh!    :) :) :)

How about some British wheels in American guise?   Say a Land Rover Disco 4 in Plentywood Police markings.   ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

How about some British wheels in American guise?   Say a Land Rover Disco 4 in Plentywood Police markings.   ;D
Got a blank? It is very hard and frustrating finding blanks of cars that are maybe not "popular" or free. Or the profile blanks are too small and/or they've been scanned from a brochure...

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

What an idea, yes! Or, how about a Vauxhall of the Royal Carolina Constabulary? ;D
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »

What an idea, yes! Or, how about a Vauxhall of the Royal Carolina Constabulary? ;D
What do you have in mind for markings? I'm not going to attempt Battenburg...

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:02:10 AM »

How about with something like this - Coat of Arms of the Province of Carolina:

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

How about with something like this - Coat of Arms of the Province of Carolina:

I think I'll do a Mondeo wagon in a Ontario Provincial Police-type scheme and an Astra sedan in an Ohio Highway Patrol-type scheme. Mondeo might be easier, no striping or curved/outlined text.

EDIT: There is a simple striping scheme, reflective tape. Should have it in a couple days.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
Wonder what he would think about the Tahoes.... And the single-marque fleet, given the mish-mash of Vauxhalls, Fords, BMWs, and Skodas in service with various departments over there...

These days it's all driven by budget of course. Whoever offers the best deal for the vehicles they need at the time they're buying them gets the nod. Thus the increasing number of Skoda VRs that are appearing.....
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

These days it's all driven by budget of course. Whoever offers the best deal for the vehicles they need at the time they're buying them gets the nod. Thus the increasing number of Skoda VRs that are appearing.....

True. Here, some departments have brand loyalty and will buy that brand only. Brook Park and Parma, Ohio are a couple examples. Ford's big engine plant is in Brook Park, so they drive Crown Vics and have ordered ten Explorer cruisers. GM Parma Metal Center is in Parma, so they've bought Impalas, Tahoes, and the new Caprice. Anyways, a Carolina Provincial Police Ford Mondeo Touring.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
Oooh, that looks sharp! :D

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »
Oooh, that looks sharp! :D

Pleased with how it turned out. Sometimes they can come out where the body lines look terrible after you use "fill" or the text is off. I'm going to abandon OSHP because it's too much to try to make the design work with the force crest. Now is this Carolina both Carolinas together or is it either North or South? I want the outline of this province....

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Yes, North and South Carolina together.

Regarding the fills, what program are you using? If it can handle layers, then it's easy: make a new layer, draw an outline of the area you want filled, fill it, bring the outline layer to the front, and there you go. If no layers, see if you can adjust the fill tolerance, that is, how much difference the paint will ignore in filling a given area.

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
Yes, North and South Carolina together.

Regarding the fills, what program are you using? If it can handle layers, then it's easy: make a new layer, draw an outline of the area you want filled, fill it, bring the outline layer to the front, and there you go. If no layers, see if you can adjust the fill tolerance, that is, how much difference the paint will ignore in filling a given area.
I use Paint.net and it does handle layers, but I find it cumbersome to use and on 90% of the profiles I do, it's not needed. A lot of it has to do with the quality of the base blank.

Offline buckeyecapsfan19

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:29 AM »
Here we go again.

The badge for the Royal Carolina Constabulary:

A 3-Series patrol car:

Still am going to do something based on the Vectra, just don't know what yet...

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »
I wish I had a blank.  Sorry.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
J85 pod on roof for pursuits.
Formidable - yes?