Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318557 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- Another "Good Guy" Ship
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

Inspired by the Japanese Hyuga class DDH, this Sea Control Ship derivative features a somewhat strengthened built-in armaments suite.  Unlike the Japanese DDH, though, this one has heat-resistant flight deck strong enough to handle a Yak-41/43......

Equipped with a SPY-1F set, a tactical-length 16-cell Mk.41 VLS, sonar, and torpedo tubes, it in reality relies on STOVL fighters and helicopters as its primary anti-aircraft and anti-submarine weapons, respectively.  Nonetheless, two STIR illuminators are installed for CEC, and there's always the quad-pack ESSM......

(This ship is meant to go with the Skyhook ships that I posted before.  I've decided to standardize on the Yak-41 and -43 for all of my Skyhook ships- because 1. the folding wings might hopefully help facilitating storage, and 2. I want to keep the Type 583V with the "Lost Fleet" group- although I have not re-uploaded the pictures to reflect that fact.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:40:03 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- An Aircraft For A Change
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »

While regular Frontier Navy strike cruiser air wings are equipped with Harrier FA.9A (basically a Harrier GR.9A equipped with Blue Vixen radar; soon to be replaced by F-35B), Foreign Auxiliary fighter detachments currently operate Freestyle F.2 from their Skyhook warships and light aircraft carriers, where their folding wings and hinged nose radomes are greatly appreciated as the afore-mentioned features facilitate storage within the smaller ships' hangars.

The previous F.1 designation is applied to the configuration as the Frontier Navy explorations found it on its world of origin and, upon the establishment of the Foreign Auxiliary sub-branch, decided to incorporate it as the fighter aircraft of this naval service wing.  F.2 is the result of an update, with the difference from the F.1 model including the compatibility with Frontier Navy's current stock of AIM-132 ASRAAM dogfight missile and AIM-120 AMRAAM medium range air-to-air missile, the same helmet-mounted display used by Harrier FA.9A to cue those missiles, and integration into the datalink network used by the Armies of Frontier Nations.

Freestyle is primarily intended for fleet air defense as well as reconnaissance and is therefore optimised for air-to-air combat; any air-to-surface guided weapon, with the exception of anti-ship missiles, must be employed through third-party target designations.  The subsonic Harrier FA.9A, having been integrated with a wide variety of surface attack ordnances and sensor pods, is generally seen as being more versatile and capable of carrying more weapons in comparison.  Some believe this development to be deliberate, allegedly one of the measures intended to limit the Foreign Auxiliary's status to being a defensive support wing of the Frontier Navy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:45:15 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

It's been years since I was last using 3D Studio Max for fun...... now I'm at it again!

As the name implies, the central inspiration of this project is the Overlord tank from Command & Conquer: Generals.  It will, however, have a single main gun rather than two, maybe fed by a carousel autoloader.

Since the Overlord tank is a four-track design, I'm gonna use the Associated Engineers Phase I tank as a starting point although there are to be two traction motors rather than four.  Either the hull length will end up being reduced and roadwheel shock absorbers rearranged à la Phase II or I might find some use for the left over room in the hull......

One thing I want to do is to "translate" the ingame bunker upgrade into something applicable in real-life.  I suppose I can try having an infantry bay either in a turret bustle; infantry access might be difficult and/or too vulnerable though.  Option B would be à la Merkava- and maybe some turret-mounted weapon station that shares missiles with man-portable launchers of embarked infantry.

Stay tuned.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:11:43 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Project Overlord is going slowly...... it took me quite a while to get to decide to go for a Merkava-like layout.

==============================================

Now as a result of my mind going wild after finding and posting that Ho-Ri Type 2 drawing and Yugoslav T-55/Hellcat hybrid in the tank destroyers thread, here is a Chi-Ri with a T-54/55 (actually a Ramses II due to a lack of compatible-format parts) turret:

Re-made HERE!

Maybe I messed up the scale again (Chi-Ri is said to have a 2000mm turret ring, necessitated by the belt-fed and then clip-fed autoloaders for its 75mm gun, but the Ramses II turret base as I scaled it ended up being bigger than that of the Chi-Ri).

This mod is unjustifiable in real-life in any way- only one Chi-Ri prototype was built to begin with; even if enough of them were built and surviving the war to be further used, the turret from M36 TD would have been the more-likely candidate...... but the lower, enclosed T-54/55 turret pleases me more......
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:22:46 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
That looks good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

Chi-Ri Model 2, development of Chi-Ri with shortened chassis and an uprated version of Chi-To's engine.  The main gun is changed to 88mm/L45 in a bid to cope with the new wave of Allied tanks and tank destroyers armed with 84mm and 90mm guns, but the Model 1's turret was considered too large and unwieldy with a manually-loaded gun installed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:45:17 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Another two quick-and-dirties: Chi-Ri TD with M26/46 and M47 turrets, respectively.

Well, with Pershing turret I'm invariably gonna arrive at the 105mm/L44 conclusion; M47 turret can just take the MBT-grade F1 gun from the AMX-30 or the Royal Ordnance L7......

Reminds me a long time ago a heel tank intellectual exercise involving a Chi-Ri with Type 61 turret......

The original attempt was of "ancient history" quality, so I did a quick-and-dirty remake on that one as well:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:15:15 AM by dy031101 »

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
Interesting concepts

Offline dy031101

Remake of the first Chi-Ri TD idea that came into my mind, this time with machineguns.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:27:29 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Basically this without any side skirt...... and I really want to make it where the Chi-Ri TD got its "new" turret from, when the turret's original user gets upgraded with components from the AMX-30.

I once thought about replacing the cupolas with more basic ones as per modifications done to the line drawing but ultimately figured that I might as well make the backstory be the incentive for purchasing some AMX-30s altogether.

(I know the picture is small, but the parts source for this quick-and-dirty isn't that good......)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:43:31 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

...... and I really want to make it where the Chi-Ri TD got its "new" turret from, when the turret's original user gets upgraded with components from the AMX-30.

I might change my mind.

Sure, M41's 76mm gun is barely adequate against the likes of stock T-54/55, but Chi-Ri is at a comparable weight class with that light tank, and upgunning packages for the turret do exist.

It would be nice if the turret can accommodate, say, the same gun as the AMX-13/105 or even SK-105......
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:21:27 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

105mm gun...... like this:

... gun taken from AMX-13/105.

I think I can call this configuration THE result of this intellectual exercise......

Opposing this tank is another Heel Chi-Ri with turret adopted from T-44-100:

...... or Chi-Ri Model 2 with a Schmaltürm-inspired turret and long-barreled 88mm gun.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:35:42 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Liking that last one.

Offline dy031101

Liking that last one.

If late-WWII Japanese tanks actually do have ammo stowage in turret, then I might have to find a new turret or just take the Type 61 turret route......

Offline dy031101

After deciding that the loss of ammo stowage in the Schmaltürm-style turret is unacceptable and that the increased-velocity development of the Type 99 88mm cannon holds enough promise (making the proposal of reverse-engineering captured T-44-100 turret pointless), the high-velocity 88mm gun is placed into a third, most-conventional turret and became the setup ultimately chosen for both upgraded Chi-Ri Model 1 and newly-built Chi-Ri Model 2.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:10:47 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

World of Tanks gave us M2 Medium with turret from M8 HMC...... why not going one step further with turret and 75mm tank gun from M8A1?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:52:53 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Chi-Ri Model 1 Kai, a "Gun Tank" (direct-fire self-propelled artillery) based on the longer Model 1 chassis rather than the mass-production-oriented Model 2, intended to combat fortifications but equally-effective against tanks without depending on HEAT ammunitions thanks to a turret and gun combination patterned after the IS-2 heavy tank.

Loosely based on a suggestion by Logan Hartke...... even though that suggestion wasn't even meant for me.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:08:11 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
That looks right!

Offline dy031101

I probably should have taken a nap this afternoon......

Offline dy031101

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:59:46 AM by dy031101 »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
Beautiful!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline dy031101

Some might wonder why I didn't use a turret from the Centurion tank...... well, because it would be just too predictable  ;D

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
I agree with the others. As someone who likes the M47 turret quite a lot, I think the combination looks great! Scarcity of the 77mm ammunition was a problem later in the Comet's career and the M47 turret would've been an increase in firepower. The turret ring sizes should have been pretty compatible, too. I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work. I can see a vehicle like this in Jordanian service, for instance.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline dy031101

The turret ring sizes should have been pretty compatible, too. 

It's too bad that the Avenger became ready only when the production of the Comet was underway- its turret is open-topped but can be provided with an armoured cover, it's got commonality with the Cromwell while seemingly a better-thought-out vehicle than the Challenger cruiser tank, and unlike the smaller Comet it has a full-spec. 17-pounder gun.

===============================================================================

I tried giving it a sloped glacis:

Definitive, fully-equipped, and ready to go!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:15:57 AM by dy031101 »