Author Topic: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:26:33 AM »
Just started tonight.

Finally got around to clearing my workspace enough to be able to do something a little different.

Title says it all, really; I'm just swapping the nose sections between an Italeri 1/48 F-86E Sabre & the A&A Models 1/72 La-200B

I've got the noses pretty-well done, except for packing gaps & PSR, but I'll do that once they're fitted. In the meantime I have the cockpits to do & to get the fuselages together, which is probably not as easy as it seems as the La-200B is a short-run kit with NO locating lugs, while the locating lugs on the F-86E are so SMALL & FRAGILE that I've already broken half of them off.

Pic's when I get around to them.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »
Colour us intrigued! Very cool concept  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:57:36 AM »
Ri-ight ..... A bit slow on the pic's here. :-[

However, I excuse myself by saying that, so far, most of you should be vaguely familiar with the general cut-&-shunt work that has been going on.

Hopefully, within the next day or two (COVID & wife permitting), I should be able to give you the base fuselage assemblies .....

Hopefully. ::)

[Teaser: I have taped the parts together & I've come to the surprising conclusion that the incredible attractiveness of the F-86 generally over-rides the incredible ugliness of the La-200B! :icon_surprised:]
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 09:26:19 AM »
WiP photo's;

F-86NJ (Nose Job):

Has a Mil(l)house vibe (courtesy of zenrat's La-200B build) ... with mumps ... but overall I think she looks pretty good. ;D

La-200NJ (Nose Job):

Overall, much nicer looking! :thumbsup:

However, the shorter nose will require a change to the power plants in the backstory.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 12:17:54 PM »
Excellent start Guy!

The La-200 is the real beneficiary here but, as you predicted, your F-86NJ is faaar better looking than the original Lavochkin  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:38:53 PM »
Several rounds of PSR later & I think I'm nearing the end.

I've lost quite a bit of the panel detail in certain areas, so I'll probably need to do a bit of work to fix that up, then I'll post pic's when the final primer coats are on.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
Just because I want to in-service them with a less common user;

Does anyone know the colours used on the Finnish Drakens? ???

Or, would my SMS paints Camo Green and Forest Green* with US Medium Grey** undersides suffice?

Or I could try to get some Dark Green G4 or I have Foliage Green in the Paint Stash, but I don't think that last is a good match for anything.

[*: My bottle of Forest Green looks significantly darker than the image.]

[**: My bottle of US Medium Grey is somewhat less "blue" than the image.]

Offline apophenia

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 05:02:04 AM »
Guy, I'm pretty sure that the Ilmavoimat Draken were painted in the same colours as Flygvapnet aircraft. If correct, those colours would be:

Dark Olive Green 328M = Mörkt Olivgrön (Dark Olive Green)
-- akin to FS 34086 Green Drab and/or FS 34052 Dark Olive/Marine Corps Green

Dark Blue 438M - Mörkblå (Dark Blue)
-- akin to FS 35042 Non-Specular Sea Blue and/or FS 35045 Dark Blue

Blue-Grey 058M = Blågrå (Blue-Grey) undersides
-- akin to FS 34079 (Forest Green) and/or FS 36314 Light Grey/Barley Grey

Maybe perttime could confirm and give us the Finnish names for those colours?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 05:15:45 AM »
Nice looking whiffers.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 04:19:57 PM »
Blue-Grey 058M = Blågrå (Blue-Grey) undersides
-- akin to FS 34079 (Forest Green)

I find that connection a bit weird, as FS34079 is the Forest Green I posted below. :-\

I think I'll go with the Dark Green G4 & US Olive Drab that I purchased today.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »
Last night I got about half the re-scribing of the panel lines on the La-200 done, looks like I may be the Phantom Trench Digger. :o

Try to get the rest done tonight. :-\

Will do a bit of re-scribing on the F-86, but not too much, as it will be in a camo scheme while the La-200 is going to be shiny. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 02:01:01 AM »
Well, wouldn't you know it, apophenia has assisted me in working out the markings of these aircraft, & he doesn't even know it! 8)

All due to the "Suoemen Ilmavoimat 2-letter aircraft codes" list he was researching on Secret Projects Forum back in 2013. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 02:14:02 AM »

Your F-86/La-200 nose job reminds me of the actor Karl Malden.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 10:29:54 AM »
Yep, I can see that! :D

It (& the La-200B it comes from) have reminded others of Milhouse Van Houten from The Simpsons:

;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »
By the way!

The builds are pretty much done (except for insignificant little bits like air brakes, landing gear & stores), & are primed & have had (probably pointlessly, the way I paint) pre-shading added.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 07:00:20 PM »
SMS Metallic Aluminium down on the La-200B.

Much to my surprise the pre-shading has worked! Very subtle but, from the right angles, visible; which is a win, in my book! :smiley: :smiley:

A couple more metallics to go & a splash of white & black, plus a gloss coat, & the airframe is done, just the bits'n'bobs to go. Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »
The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

So far: So good! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 02:10:07 AM »
This is a great project - that LA-200 nose doesn't help improve the looks of the F-86, or any plane.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 08:35:19 PM »
Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

This is no longer the case. Arrived in the Post Office Box this morning & collected at 1100hrs, en route to work.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 11:59:47 PM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Peitsi (Lance)

More commonly known as the Papukaijan Nokka (Parrot Beak) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

Note: If you look really carefully you may be able to see the results of the attempted pre-shading on the right wing (left in the image) in a lighter shade on the ailerons & flaps, & the last full wing panel being very slightly darker.

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 12:00:49 AM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Kalpa (Sword)

More commonly known as the Pitkä Nenä (Long Nose) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

And how could I not? ;)

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 12:01:23 AM »
Obviously there's still much work to be done but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at (especially given the issues with the metallics on the Peitsi (Lance).

Next will come a gloss coat & either decals or washes, not sure which, yet.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 01:12:58 AM »
Maybe call it "Millhouse" in Finnish? Google translate says "Myllytalo"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 01:53:25 AM »
Maybe call it "Millhouse" in Finnish? Google translate says "Myllytalo"

Could do that but, then, I'd be stealing zenrat's idea.

That plus the fact that the backstories for these aircraft put them in the early 1950's era, about 35 years before Milhouse became a thing (1988).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:35 AM »
Colour scheme is looking great on your Pitkä Nenä  :smiley:

BTW: Glad to be of assistance with the 2-letter codes. Back in 2013, intuition just told me that you'd be doing this build in the future  ;)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 05:09:54 AM »
Amirite, or does that 'Pitkä Nenä' now have FIVE air intakes . . . :o

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 09:20:11 PM »
No, Robin, just three. The other two will have 2 x 1/32 20mm cannon  & 2 x 1/32 13mm mg's poking out of them scale-o-rama-ing out to 2 x 30mm & 2 x 20mm cannon. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 09:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2022, 10:08:29 PM »
No work done on this, so far, this weekend (maybe tomorrow pm), I've been playing Grandpa! :D :D :D :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 11:51:51 AM »
Well, that was unexpected, in a positive way. :D

I've started to gloss coat & the gloss coat on the Peitsi has enhanced the pre-shading, so that it's more visible - still quite subtle but visible where it hadn't been before. :smiley:

Will do the Kalpa tomorrow (I only have one old paintbrush handle to stick them on while painting & drying).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2022, 10:09:49 PM »
The Kalpa got its decals last night & a gloss coat this morning.

I also did panel line washes on the Peitsi yesterday, which had its decals done a couple of days ago. Not really sure that was the right move but, well, it's done now.

Now I have to decide if I'll bother on the Kalpa or just matt coat it.

Either way, by the end of the weekend the main body of work should be done &, after that, it'll be the little bits being worked on & added as I can.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
Well, that was almost a disaster. :icon_crap:

So far, I've been using SMS's "Super Clear" for the gloss coats but decided to use the slightly less glossy "Gloss Clear" for the final coat on the Peitsi last night.

Now, the Gloss Clear has a small amount of the particles used to make their Flat Clear in it to cut the gloss level down a bit &, usually, this has been fine but, last night, it seems the particles had decided to "float" up near the top (despite thorough initial mixing & follow-up mixes while I was spraying) & to "clump" a bit. This resulted in blobs & streaks of whitish .... I'll call it "residue" blotched all over the model, which wasn't visible until it started drying. :o

Talk about shattered! :'(

Anyway, this morning, in a burst of desperation, I got a piece of paper towel & started rubbing the worst bits ..... & it started taking off the whitish residue! :icon_surprised:

The result is far from perfect & I may have another go later but I consider it "Saved". :smiley:

My only other thought is that it may be moisture that the rubbing is warming up & pulling out of the paint but I doubt it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2022, 01:01:09 AM »
OK, photo's of where I'm at soon - either tomorrow night or Monday.

The Kalpa looks pretty good (or, at least, good enough) & the Peitsi is OK (I resprayed the nose as I found I'd worn off some of the black with all the rubbing.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 02:12:12 AM »
OK, so I took the photo's tonight & here they are:

The Peitsi's scheme is loosely based on Finlands RW MiG-15UTIs;

The Kalpa's scheme is loosely based on Finlands RW MiG-21bis';

I'm thinking that I, probably, should have taken photo's of the cockpits before I sealed them up, as they were, actually, quite good, even if I do say so myself. ;)

Anyway, as usual; constructive criticism & comments welcomed! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 03:50:33 AM »
Both look great. The faint panel shading on the Peitsi looks subtle and realistic... but man, that's an ugly looking plane! (No reflection on your work, which improved it - slightly)

The Kalpa looks good, too - how did you paint the orange light in the cockpit?

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 05:58:39 AM »
 Both are interesting and intriguing builds-I like the Peitsi a little bit better, but the nose job on the Kalpa is...is..., well perhaps one of the squadron call signs was- Tappaja Klovnit...

(Hope you're not unduly irritated by speedpunk...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvyGSwrysY

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »
Thanks, Doc! :icon_alabanza:

well perhaps one of the squadron call signs was- Tappaja Klovnit...

;D ;D I can't see why not. It fits with military humour & I'd certainly have no objection! ;D ;D

(Hope you're not unduly irritated by speedpunk...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvyGSwrysY

Amusing little track, although not quite as rousing as "Danger Zone". :smiley:

My youngest sister (she's 51), who has coulrophobia, may not have been quite so taken with the image, though. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:24:53 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 09:40:01 AM »
Both look great. The faint panel shading on the Peitsi looks subtle and realistic... but man, that's an ugly looking plane! (No reflection on your work, which improved it - slightly)

The Kalpa looks good, too - how did you paint the orange light in the cockpit?

Thanks, Frank! :icon_alabanza:

I'd say the Peitsi looks "dumpy", rather than ugly. ;)

The light in the cockpit is (part of) a clear part that you paint then glue into the canopy before fitting the canopy to the plane. It has a small hole up through the middle (which saved me having to drill it out), that I painted silver (Tamiya Chrome, I think) & the dome was painted Tamiya Clear Orange (the rest was painted NATO Black).

I initially had no idea what it was meant to be but, after checking lots of photo's of Sabre cockpits, I found a few images that showed this (generally orange, but a few were red) dome light behind the bang seat attached to the internal structure in the rear section of the canopy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:43:04 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2022, 05:05:25 PM »
Ripper job. Both are nicely finished and very, very well done :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
Thanks, BT! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2022, 10:18:59 PM »
Yeah, not much happening on the model building front.

However! I have got both of these builds to the "Waiting for Weapons" stage. Actually, just waiting for 1/48 AIM-7E Sparrows for the Kalpa; when I have them, I'll scratch build some pylons for both aircraft, build, paint & decal their respective missiles, & finish them off.

BUT, they are at the "Finished for Now" stage & photo's await below:

Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Peitsi (Lance)

More commonly known as the Papukaijan Nokka (Parrot Beak) by the personnel working with & flying them, the Peitsi was designed as a high-speed interceptor. Obviously based loosely on the Lavochkin La-200 series of Soviet experimental aircraft (the Finns refuse to say how they obtained the plans for these aircraft, or even admit that they did) the two-seater was classified as a "two-engined" fighter, as its main engine was a Rolls-Royce RB.44 Tay centrifugal turbo-jet, with what appeared to be a local Valmet development of either the  Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire or the Wright J65 (again, however they got the designs, the Finns aren't talking), called the V-50, as a secondary "booster" engine. There appear to have been some issues with the metallurgy of the V-50 during the first half-decade of its manufacture that limited its ability to operate for sustained periods; however, the benefits it provided on take-off & in combat were deemed worth the effort of fitting it to the Peitsi. Whilst not in use the airflow was diverted around the engine & out two large vents in the lower fuselage sides to reduce air resistance.

Capable of carrying 2 x 500L "slipper" drop tanks, which extended its combat radius to approximately 650km (including full-power intercept climb to 12,000m) & up to 4 x AIM-7E Sparrow missiles plus another 4 x AIM-9B Sidewinders, the Peitsi was, also, armed with 6 x 20mm Hispano Mk.V cannon (later swapped out for US M39 revolver cannons).

Link: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/La-200NJ/

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2022, 10:19:59 PM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Kalpa (Sword)

More commonly known as the Pitkä Nenä (Long Nose) by the personnel working with & flying them, the Kalpa was designed as a patrol interceptor. Based on plans of the North American F-86 Sabre fighter, supposedly purchased through legitimate means, but built around the Valmet V-50 Mk.II engine (after the metallurgical issues had been sorted) & fitted with a rather novel inlet & radar arrangement (apparently scaled down from one of the Lavochkin La-200 variants (La-200B) that the Finns say they have no knowledge of).

Capable of carrying 2 x 750L drop tanks, which extended its patrol time to approximately 4 hours at optimum cruising speed, & up to 4 x AIM-7E Sparrow missiles plus 2 x AIM-9B Sidewinders, the Kalpa was, also, armed with 2 x 20mm M39 revolver cannons & 2 x 30mm ADEN cannons.

Link: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/F-86NJ/i-RPcRbtZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2022, 01:41:11 AM »
Some heavy armament on both of those.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »
Yup! The idea is to punch big holes in the Soviet/Russian bomber fleets, preferably before they reach Finnish cities, etc. ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »
Great job on both.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks, Ramba! :icon_alabanza:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
Nasal surgery went well.  Should breath fine at any angle of attack.  One of a kind nose.  Different type F-86 that looks period correct in its own way.  Great paint scheme and finish  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :icon_alabanza: