Author Topic: Fairey Tosser  (Read 2250 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Fairey Tosser
« on: February 22, 2022, 07:13:27 AM »
1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The Fairey Delta 2 was one of the more impressive British experimental aircraft of the post-war period, and it’s basic design is credited with being the genesis of the very successful Dassault Mirage III series of aircraft. It was used to investigate various aspects of high-speed flight with a delta wing design, and both airframes went through a number of modifications during their lifetimes.

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

One little known aspect was a test of the ‘toss-bombing’ style of weapons delivery, a format also used with the American B-47 and B-58 bombers. An unknown number of test articles were produced, and secured to the aircraft on a centre-line pylon. They were painted in a high visibility scheme of red and white for tracking purposes, with a black nose cone. While given no official designation, crews referred to the aircraft as the ‘Tosser’. After a number of stops during the ferry flight, trials were conducted in the Australian desert, and results were considered favourable, and plans were in place to assess the possibility of underwing tanks to increase range should the aircraft be produced in that role.

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

However the lingering results and second-guessing that were left in the wake of the infamous 1957 Defence White Paper meant that such plans never came to be, and this particular period in the aircraft’s history have been obscured by time.

6 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

7 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

8 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Fairey Tosser
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 05:11:37 PM »
Very nice! And a great backstory (including a little, realistic Duncan Sandys grit in the porridge).
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »
Great idea and build Dave! I built this kit ($0.49) oh so long ago.  Now I need to find another one.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Rat

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 09:15:35 PM »
Great idea and build Dave! I built this kit ($0.49) oh so long ago.  Now I need to find another one.

Tip: getting the canopy to fit properly was a real nasty bit of work, so try a lot of dry fitting before getting on with it. Really, I think the better option would be to entirely redo the cockpit area with a different canopy, and of course whiff it with a semi-believable back story.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 01:40:46 AM »

Tip: getting the canopy to fit properly was a real nasty bit of work, so try a lot of dry fitting before getting on with it. Really, I think the better option would be to entirely redo the cockpit area with a different canopy, and of course whiff it with a semi-believable back story.

Agreed. I was thinking of calling it the "Avro Asbestos". It's fire proof.

Okay, okay. The "Avro Aurora"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 01:57:14 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 02:29:25 AM »
Like that  :smiley:

Really looks the part and plausible back story

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline The Rat

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 10:58:24 AM »
Like that  :smiley:

Really looks the part and plausible back story

Mog
>^-.-^<

Thanks! I was mulling over a second story in case the nose mounted pitot tube broke off during handling and disappeared into the nether regions of my hobby room, which despite the lack of any sort of carpet is basically one huge carpet monster. That would have required rounding off the nose, adding a pitot tube elsewhere, and doing an in-service machine. Fortunately my handling was gentle enough to not require it.  ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 01:27:54 PM »
One nice build  :smiley:
Background info reminiscent of Brian da Basher's deep research.    RIP friend.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 01:32:32 PM by finsrin »

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »
I love it! The build, the story, the name!! Brilliant!

Background info reminiscent of Brian da Basher's deep research.    RIP friend.
Hear hear.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 08:08:02 AM »
 Given the number of possible interpretations of the nickname, it might not have been such a joy to fly fully laden... ;)

Great looking build and a neat concept. A hearty third on the quality of the backstory!

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »
Nice, very nice.  I am inspired.