Author Topic: Faith and begorrah, a Javelin?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Faith and begorrah, a Javelin?
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:13:02 AM »
Got the ancient Frog/Novo Gloster Javelin on the bench right now, fuselage and wings glued up. A few days ago I received some Irish decals from KiwiZac that I was going to put on the Matchbox Hawker Fury, but they're way too large. So, after a history involving a short-lived German invasion of Ireland during WWII, and consequently much better relations with Britain in the interests of mutual defence, Ireland was provided with slightly more up-to-date military eqipment than they might normally be able to afford. The Javelin could be one such aircraft, and I'm pretty sure I'll use it for the decals. Might see if it could be used for anti-shipping, seeing that Ireland is like a giant aircraft carrier off the west coast of Great Britain. And I like a simple sea grey over white scheme, not very colourful but so cool.

Anyone got suggestions for weapons? Probably don't have anything suitable in the spares bin, so I'll probably have empty pylons with just a mention of them in any pack of lies back story written up.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Faith and begorrah, a Javelin?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 08:38:18 AM »
looks like they only got 4 cannon & Firestreak missiles but how about a mini-torpedo for anti-sub work off the west coast ?  Or maybe a small Nuke ?

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 10:13:40 AM »
I wholeheartedly approve!  8)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Rat

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 05:17:50 AM »
Almost ready to close the canopy

Javelin pit by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 05:47:36 AM »
Nice work so far. Under that scale 7 inch thick canopy that is about all you need for the office

Offline The Rat

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 05:49:08 AM »
Anti-shipping missile from different bits

Donnybrook by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Faith and begorrah, a Javelin...
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 05:52:11 AM »
...Y'all's crystal ball 21 days before "Saint Javelin" ceased being an Internet meme, air launched FGM-148's would do nicely.

Offline The Rat

Re: Faith and begorrah, a Javelin...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 07:15:30 AM »
...Y'all's crystal ball 21 days before "Saint Javelin" ceased being an Internet meme, air launched FGM-148's would do nicely.

Too late in the timeline. I'm going with a whiff for the missile, toying with the name 'Donnybrook.'

Offline The Rat

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 11:06:46 AM »
Decaling has begun, thanks to KiwiZac for those! You may notice some wrinkles, that's because the setting solution was still assaulting them when these pics were taken. Next is the pylons, gear doors, dullcoat spray, and we're done. Oh, and the anti-ship missile, the Douglas Donnybrook.

dec1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Dec2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Offline The Rat

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 04:56:38 AM »
Looks like my original idea to use the Douglas Donnybrook anti-shipping missile will have to go on a different project, after trying to find a place to hang it under the Javelin there just ain't no room. A centre-line pylon would have to clear the 2 belly tanks and the missile would be dragging on the ground. A wing pylon would have it interfering with undercarriage and the other pylon.

Donnybrook by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Oh well, it came with a couple of very crudely molded Firestreaks, so they were led to the chopping block. 2 opposing fins were clipped and used to extend the remaining 2. Rear fins will get modified to a vertical-stabiliser-on-the-bottom arrangement. They look really rough at the moment, I'll have to be delicate with the smoothing out so that they don't break apart.

Firestreaks by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

I was hoping to have this done by the 17th, for obvious reasons, but that's gone by the wayside. Soon...