Author Topic: Sabre Dingo  (Read 25318 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Sabre Dingo
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Sabre Dingo

In 1954, the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) decided that it needed a new all-weather/night fighter to supplement the new Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) CA-27 Sabres about to enter service.  This was especially felt necessary in the North of the country where the ‘Wet Season’ could make it difficult to intercept aircraft for much of the year.  Initially versions of the de Havilland Sea Venom, Douglas F3D Skyknight and/or Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck were considered.  These were soon dropped from consideration though when the CAC management proposed an indigenous all weather fighter based on a version of the CA-27.

Using data provided by North American Aviation contacts on the new F-86D ‘Sabre Dog’ as well as their own knowledge gained from the development of the CA-27, the CAC engineers soon developed what would eventually become known as the CA-28 ‘Sabre Dingo’. 

Although very similar to the F-86D, especially in its use of the AN/APG-36 all-weather radar fitted in a radome in the nose; larger fuselage and 24 × 2.75” Mighty Mouse FFAR rockets in ventral tray, the CA-28 was noticeably different as well.  Foremost amongst the differences was its use of two crewmen.  This was due to the RAAF’s stated preference for a dedicated operator of the radar equipment – especially when operating in severe weather conditions (where the pilot may be totally dedicated to flying the aircraft).  The fact that Australia did not possess an established Ground-Controlled Interception (GCI) network also contributed to this choice – interceptors needed to be able to operate largely independent of ground control.  In addition to this, the CA-28 kept the more powerful Avon turbojet of its CA-27 siblings (thus avoiding the need for an afterburner as used in the F-86D with obvious fuel savings/range benefits) as well as the dual 30mm Aden cannon.  These, when combined with the Mighty Mouse rockets, and latter AIM-9 missiles, made the Sabre Dingo arguably the most heavily armed of all Sabre variants.  Later versions sometimes removed the rockets replacing them with an additional pair of missiles.

The first Sabre Dingo flew in February 1956 and the first squadron entered RAAF service in November 1958.  Rather than being operated by dedicated units, the aircraft were instead allocated to existing CA-27 squadrons.  In this way, they could be operated in an integrated manner allowing 24hr operations in all weather – often the CA-28s were used to provide guidance support to CA-27s.

In 1964, the Sabre Dingo was blooded when one operating from RAAF Butterworth shot down an Indonesian Il-28 Beagle that penetrated Malaysian airspace.  During the Vietnam War, a small number were also deployed to RAAF Ubon, in Thailand to provide air defence for United States Air Force attack and bomber aircraft based at Ubon. The aircraft never engaged North Vietnamese aircraft though and were withdrawn in 1968.

The last Sabre Dingo was withdrawn from service in 1971.  Unlike the CA-27s, none were exported.

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Sabre Dingo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I think Dingo is the word for Australian wild dogs, this is good for a dogfight plane! :)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »
Oooh, I like it!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
Me to :want: I can see the new site is gonna keep me busy building.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »
Beautiful!!  I think, though, that a F-86K nose with the cannon rather than the rocket pack would fit better.  Too, the difference in mass flow between the J47 and the Avon means that the inlet will need to be deepened (yes, I've played with a radar fitted CA-27 concept, too).

Perhaps they can get the FJ-3 wing rights from NAA and do a version for the RAN?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »
Another oldie and goodie,  ;D

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:01:25 PM »
This has more than piqued my interest somewhat. I especially like the Beagle kill marking !!  Nice job there.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »
I hope you don't mind, Greg, but I feel the urge to bump this. What kits would one need to build a Sabre Dingo in 1/72?
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
I hope you don't mind, Greg, but I feel the urge to bump this. What kits would one need to build a Sabre Dingo in 1/72?
Let me hazard a guess: 1/72 F-86D or K, CA-27 conversion, and TF-86 conversion (Airmodel made/makes one).  The canopy profile may require something different from the TF-86 canopy.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 05:52:50 AM »
Just what the doctor ordered Greg

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »

Let me hazard a guess: 1/72 F-86D or K, CA-27 conversion, and TF-86 conversion (Airmodel made/makes one).  The canopy profile may require something different from the TF-86 canopy.

I used in my first attempt a standard F-86 fuselage and wings coupled with a F-85D nose and the guns from a CA27 along with the cockpit from a Fuji T-1 model.  However, it never really looked quite "right".  I then discovered the Airmodels Quadruple conversion set - F-86D, CA27, TF-86 and an F-86K.   As I was thinking more about the Sea Dingo than a plain Dingo, I then used the Emhar Sea Fury fuselage and wings.   It was substantially longer than I really wanted but hey, it looked the part.  I had to move the wings forward by about 10mm to balance it out and it looked fine. You can see the results, here.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
I have all the requisite bits and pieces in the stash (Airmodel multiple Sabre conversion kit, Emhar/Revell FJ-4/-4B kits) and I'm very, very tempted to try this one, myself.  Other idea is something similar, but powered by an Orenda Six for the RCN.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 09:51:44 PM »
  I had to move the wings forward by about 10mm to balance it out and it looked fine.

Something I was looking at doing too. But then read the TF-86 actually had it's wings moved forward 8" Brian. Not quite as much as your conversion though.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
  I had to move the wings forward by about 10mm to balance it out and it looked fine.

Something I was looking at doing too. But then read the TF-86 actually had it's wings moved forward 8" Brian. Not quite as much as your conversion though.

Ah, so I basically had it right, then?  Moving the wings isn't mentioned in the Airmodel conversion set at all.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »

Ah, so I basically had it right, then?  Moving the wings isn't mentioned in the Airmodel conversion set at all.

I've got that AirModel  conversion sheet too, and a Falcon TF-86. One is at hand (beside my bed actually  ::) ) so I'll do a comparison and see if the 8" has been moulded in.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 04:21:49 AM »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 08:41:32 AM »
My variation of the theme, work in progress ---

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »
Looking good ... and I love that name!  Too bad that the Royal Nepalese Air Force  never operated fighters  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »
 :smiley: Stephen ---

Let the cat out of the bag haven't I. I'll start a thread up about it sometime soon.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 02:37:02 AM »
Interestingly enough, I just read that NAA did indeed provide details of the TF-86 to the RAAF and CAC during the Avon Sabre development with a hope that the RAAF would place an order for the type.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
Interestingly enough, I just read that NAA did indeed provide details of the TF-86 to the RAAF and CAC during the Avon Sabre development with a hope that the RAAF would place an order for the type.

Any chance you can PM any additional information pertaining to this GTX?

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 01:18:25 AM »

Any chance you can PM any additional information pertaining to this GTX?

MAD

Let me check