« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 03:19:08 AM »

New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: DEKNO Models
« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 03:14:39 AM »

Post Apocalyptic GB / Re: The Rules
« Last post by ChernayaAkula on Today at 02:53:09 AM »
So what you're saying is the Post-Post-Apocalypse has been postponed.  ;D
Aero-space / Re: My bright idea: 1/72 Northrop Prowler NF.I
« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 02:48:57 AM »
I never quite got the concept behind Turbinlite. I mean, if you're able to train a huge torch on another aircraft in mid-air, you can train huge guns on it as well, right?

You have got to think about it in terms that this was the very nascent stage of radar development and the early associated use in an airborne sense.  The early radar-equipped platforms such as the Bristol Blenheim were used since they had the room for dedicated radar operators and the necessary room for the equipment.  However the also lacked the necessary speed advantage over the German Heinkel 111s and Dornier Do 17 bombers then raiding the UK to be truly effective, the Blenheim being able to find the bomber, but often not being fast enough to be able to reach a position in which to shoot it down.

Non-radar equipped single-engined fighters, whilst being fast enough to catch the bombers, simply could not find the bombers to shoot them down. In addition, there was some doubt as to the best way to find, intercept and shoot down attacking bombers at night. The idea put forward was that an aircraft that carried a searchlight could light up the attacking bombers for partner non-radar equipped fighters to shoot them down, since the single-engine fighters would have the performance advantage over the German twin-engine bombers.
Post Apocalyptic GB / Re: Post-Apo VL Nomads
« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 02:13:34 AM »
 :smiley:
« Last post by Buzzbomb on Yesterday at 12:05:48 PM »
I think the guts of the idea was, radar-equipped Turbinlite aircraft finds and marks targets for accompanying fighters without radar eg Hurricanes.

:smiley:
« Last post by KiwiZac on Yesterday at 08:53:20 AM »
Aren't those AI Mk 1 aerials flanking the sides of the lights?
I think so? The Douglas Turbinlites had them and, from recently having built three of the old Airfix Mossie kit, I had a few aerials in my spares! I thought it added something to the look.

Great stuff, Zac  :smiley:  I love that you've turned her into a 2-seater (I never really did understand the point of the P-61's third crew member).

Looking at photos of the Douglas Boston Turbinlites, they had a flat nose too. But the photos also reveal an aerodynamic cowl type ring around the leading edge of the fuselage interface with this flat nose. This cowl had a slot between it and the leading edge which probably helped with smoothing the airflow down the fuselage.

Good eye! In the side and bottom views of Zac's Prowler, I notice a prominent seam just forward of the pilot's canopy. That must be your laminar-flow slot  ;)
:-[ :-[ I saw that streamlining ring but I got to a point where finishing it felt more important than producing a truly plausible build. And yes, given Mosquito nightfighters could do the job with two crew I couldn't see why the case should be different here!

I never quite got the concept behind Turbinlite. I mean, if you're able to train a huge torch on another aircraft in mid-air, you can train huge guns on it as well, right?
I think the guts of the idea was, radar-equipped Turbinlite aircraft finds and marks targets for accompanying fighters without radar eg Hurricanes.
Post Apocalyptic GB / Re: The Rules
« Last post by Buzzbomb on Yesterday at 08:52:12 AM »
Ok gang, extension it is.

Another 2 extra weeks to whip out a Post Apoc build.
New Finish date will be Monday 11 October 2021

New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: ICM
« Last post by Buzzbomb on Yesterday at 06:33:53 AM »
Back in the day. The proud arrival of another Shelter type arrangement at our Signals unit was greeted with the Brigadier complaining about "another green box to hide in the HQ area"

Shelter type vehicles, whilst outwardly boring have been few and far between. Just shows the days we live in  modelwise, where boring stuff can become a kit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10