Author Topic: F-35 Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 187642 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
F-35 Ideas and Inspiration
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »
Hi folks,

A thread dedicated to your Lockheed Martin F-35 ideas and inspiration.

To start, something silly:  Since it seems the only kit of the aircraft in 1/48 are various iterations of the PANDA MODELS kit.

How about an F-35 in a "panda" scheme.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: F-35 Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Speaking of F-35 Whiffs, here's one straight out of the box:

Stargazer2006

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
Here's the Lockheed Martin YF-45A Starbolt, a small fighter derived from the F-35...

And here is the QF-35D, an unmanned variant of the basic F-35.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
F-22 style fins:

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
I like that kind of subtle change - would have people scratching their heads knowing something was wrong, but not quite sure just what...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
The QF-35 isn't that far off.   Replace the cockpit with another equipment bay and that pain of a canopy with an access panel and you've got it.  The "pilot's associate" that's part of the baseline design takes it lot closer to a UCAV than most designs are.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:41:44 AM »
A F-35A derivative that could be done in RL if there was demand would have either dual mode flying boom or probe and drogue in-flight refueling capability or just probe and drogue for those nations without flying boom tankers.

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
I was considering a "Panda" scheme for something in my stash.... A permanant winter scheme basically, When i get around to it... Possibly sometime in the next ten years i still might :D

Offline simmie

• In need of an Avatar...or one will be chosen for h
What gets ordered when (if) F-35 cancelled
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
With the US budget deficite the way it is and the size of cuts being planned, the F-35 is now in very real danger of being culled.

So, who will order what to furfill the outstanding requirements????

For the first suggestion, how about the HAL Tejas for the Fleet Air Arm!?!?!

Any other ideas!???
Growing old is mandatory

Growing up is optional

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Re: What gets ordered when (if) F-35 cancelled
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
(very carefully making comment on the F-35... :icon_ninja:) A year or so ago, Joe (TSR) asked me to do a run of 'alternate F-35' profile options.  These included JAS-39s and F/A-18Es.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
(very carefully making comment on the F-35... :icon_ninja:) A year or so ago, Joe (TSR) asked me to do a run of 'alternate F-35' profile options.  These included JAS-39s and F/A-18Es.

Would USAF "Super Bugs" have been on that list?  'Twould seem an obvious approach.  I could also see further F-15 and F-16 developments incorporating appropriate low observables technology (for the F-15, perhaps a step beyond the Silent Eagle) and whatever systems and technology they could from the F-35 (for example, a new block of the F-16 with the F-35's engine and the JIST inlet adapted for production and the requisite airflow).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
With the US budget deficite the way it is and the size of cuts being planned, the F-35 is now in very real danger of being culled.

*Real World Mode On* Sorry to disappoint some, but there is absolutely NO chance of the F-35 being culled!  Anyone who seriously thinks this will happen doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.*Real World Mode Off*

Now in the fantasy whiff-verse:

Options to play with, in various iterations:

F/A-18E/F and developments thereof ( see what was offered to India recently)
F-15E and warmed over developments such as the Silent Eagle
Raffle
Typhoon
Su30/35
Su-?? (T-50)
F-16 developments
JAS-39E/F and developments
UCAVs

Regards,

Greg

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 04:34:08 PM »
F-18E and F-18F in USAF markings instead of more lawn darts. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
Evan, I did do a couple of Es and one F Super Bugs in USAF markings but they were for another request.

Greg, one could suggest there have been many times throughout history where 'definite' things haven't happened regardless of all intentions.  Time will tell obviously and I suspect at least the CTOL variants will enter service, but to say definitely is brave.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »
Odds are in the F-35s favor, since jets are sexy, but you never know. The only thing harder to kill than a jet program is probably a ship program.

Marines will still be riding in the old tuna boats since the EFV got the axe. (no, not bitter about that at all...)

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
... options looked at by the Finnish Ilmavoimat as probable legacy F.18C/D Hornet replacements were the Saab Gripen NG, Boeing F.18E Super Hornet and Lockheed's F.35A Lightning. The F.35A has been provisionally chosen altho the Russians have recently offered the Indian backed Sukhoi T.50 'Fitbird' for the same unit price as the Lockheed aircraft ! unfortunately a long shot (aka. not a snowballs chance !) but the lure of an F.22 Raptor equivalent coming onto the export market is an interesting development indeed, i know the Finnish delegation which evaluated the proposals came away very impressed !

John prepared some really neat artwork showing the possible contenders in Finnish markings for a little speculative piece i put together for an article on the F.35 decision

hmm, i agree it (probably) wont be cancelled (altho i can foresee a definate reduction in numbers) but  what happens when the F.35C gets delayed now that the UK. has dropped the STOVL. F.35B ? we already have one carrier going straight into mothballs prior to modification as it was planned for the initial type, the second vessel being optimised for the CTOL. carrier version !
Typhoon is a definate nono due to its internal structure not being suitable for carrier type operations, so i guess the possibility is either the F.18E Super Hornet or Dassault Rafale M as interim (or replacement) equipment. The UK. already has pilots on exchange both in the US. and France potentially covering both options

cheers, Joe

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 01:00:22 AM »

Typhoon is a definate nono due to its internal structure not being suitable for carrier type operations, so i guess the possibility is either the F.18E Super Hornet or Dassault Rafale M as interim (or replacement) equipment. The UK. already has pilots on exchange both in the US. and France potentially covering both options

cheers, Joe
Joe:  I thought I'd read somewhere that the Eurofighter folks had already deisigned a navalised version of the jet?  Is that so?

Greg:  If I'm ever cynical about anything, it's defence procurement!  And I have a sneaking suspicion that, what with loads of countries paying towards the development costs of the jet, the unit price will strangely end up being too high for anyone but the USA to afford...

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:54 AM »
... as far as im led to understand there were feasibility studies carried out a few years back and again recently (re an Indian Navy requirement) a few drawings of a proposed revised undercarriage arrangement have been posted online from the original study, there was also a neat painting from AVPRO showing a naval Typhoon with arrestor hook and twin nosewheels widely circulated at the time of the go ahead for the new Royal Navy CVF.
From a colleague working on the type, Typhoon itself would have to be redesigned completely to take the stresses of an arrested landing as normal practice. The Dassault Rafale was designed from the outset with a 'keel' giving a very stong longitudinal structure wheras the Typhoon's strength is laterally, and when originally proposed there was no need for a naval mission requirement so was never seen as an issue

Its interesting to note the F.35C has had recent problems re arrested landings, the whole mounting having to be resited aft as the previous position was deemed unsuitable, unfortunately again this will probably encrue further strengthening in the resited area to cope with increased airframe stresses

cheers, Joe

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »
Ah, cheers mate - I thought I'd heard about that somewhere - though the article never mentoned 'complete redesign'!

Have to say, the Rafale is a beautiful, highly capable jet - I think it would be an excellent choice for the FAA.

Alternatively, both the Aussies and the Canadians, our Commonwealth partners, and not least the US Forces, use F-18 variants, so would it be better for us to maintain commonality with our 'main allies'?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 03:11:15 AM »
Anything other than a French Rafale is about to become a permanent what-if as the
French government is ready to pull the plug on the production line. Evidently they
are tired of keeping the program going only for Dassault's benefit. So Dassault
better make an overseas sale PDQ.

One wonders if the Rafale is the aviation equivalent of the Citroen DS:
fun to drive
great to look at
technically and technologically advanced
reliable engine

an absolute nightmare to maintain and operate on a regular basis
expensive to own (see above)
 ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 03:49:30 AM »
Yep, the last chance for the Rafale is the current Indian contest.  I suspect that it will go th the Typhoon though.

Based upon my own experience (and those of colleagues) I would definitely back up the nightmare to maintain issue too.  Not trying to sound anti-French (it is after all, a beautiful design, like many of theirs), but the sustainment support from French companies has left an awful lot to be desired when compared to some of their US competitors.

Pellson

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55:51 AM »
I'd place my money on a russian machine for India.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:07:38 AM »
Already rejected.  The competition is down to either the Rafale or Typhoon.

Stargazer2006

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 04:15:37 AM »
Just for the fun of it...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 04:26:30 AM »
We all know i am very pro F-35 and Greg and I are in the same mode. I am not going to get too "real world" on the F-35 (that's for another for another time)  :icon_music:

...But I will say, we need to think "more outside the box!!" We aren't being whiffy enough about this! Stop worrying about more of the same old Super bugs with USAF instead of USN. Lets think "new design" because if the F-35 gets canceled, its need for 21st century missions still exists.

Its going to need to be stealthy and with advanced sensors.

Redoing or rehashing a teen fighter means serious expense and development to the point that you might as well start anew.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:40:45 AM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher