Author Topic: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors  (Read 25759 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2018, 10:59:40 PM »
Thanks guys --

Jeff, I was going to use it on a Mosquito, but it didn't come from one. It actually comes off a CF-100  --- a Mk.V to be exact  ;)  That kit is getting converted into a recce bird.

Oh the horror Robert! What is the source of your recce snoz?

>:D >:D >:D

RF-101C Carl, but it's also getting a large pannier too -- I'll get some photos taken of where it's at and start another thread   ;)  Hint; it'll make Kit Spackman proud --

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2018, 03:39:31 AM »
Here's the new nose tidied up and a round of PSR

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2018, 03:43:38 AM »
Another thing I've done is to relocate the APU from the wing center section to the rear of the port sponson. I've done it this way because I've got the GAU-8 in the starboard sponson and needed something to offset the weight on that side. Same reason I put my refueling probe on the port side.

The exhaust I've used was made from a bit of curved sprue which I hollowed out.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2018, 04:57:58 AM »
Nice work on the nose Robert.  The reason I was think it was from the NF Mosquito was because of the recess around the area that was in front of the windscreen.  Not being too familiar with the CF-100 variants aside from two HobbyCraft kits in 1:48th scale that i have in the stash, that was a nice reveal on your part.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2018, 05:54:03 AM »
Thanks Jeff, the reason for the recess was I figured out to make the radome look right, it needed to be set further back from the bottom edge of the windshield. So I cut the notch into it with the intension of tidying it up but I wanted to see it sort of in the right place first. It didn't take long for me to realize that this was something nagging me in the back of my mind, and I just loved it from the get-go.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »
Hit a milestone over the last week, got the first prop-rotor assembled.  I'll have to give it a coat of Mr.Surfacer then I'll paint it up.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
The instrument panel for the pilot (back-seater) was made by just cutting the V-22 panel in half and then reducing the width of the shroud to suit. For the panel for the gunner, I just used two of the remaining screens from the left-over part but I had to fabricate my own shroud for it.

I then made up a flare dispenser panel.

I fitted the FLIR turret on the bottom side of the gun turret too.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2018, 11:31:58 PM »
I've also did a trial run for the hinges I need for part of the flaps. I'm using my other V-22 to work out how to do it but I just need to refine it a bit.

In the top pic you can see I've cut the flap out of the top half of the wing. You'll notice there's a sort of a strip on the leading edge of it. This is actually a separate part to the flap system and I imagine it's something to do with controlling the Coanda effect. It's not specific to the V-22 though, while at the Cold Lake Airshow last weekend, I noticed that the F-18's have something similar --- I had a good look at it    >:D

I'm not going to use the 'strip' which is on the kit part, instead I'm going to use a length of styrene angle. It's all part of my idea on how to get the strip to turn down when I move the flap down. Second pic shows the leg of the angle is about the same width as the strip (but I might change the angle to something with a longer leg length and file it down)

Third and Forth pics just show how I'm making the hinge up. I think I can get away with just two hinges per flap, but it may have to have three.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
Woh, dude! :icon_surprised:

Intricate or what! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2018, 04:13:03 AM »
Wow!  Some real details there that a lot of us would just pass by.  I do like the rotor blades that you have created for this project. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2018, 05:04:14 AM »
Thanks Guy, Jeff.

What the plan is eventually, is to make the flaps work when you rotate the nacelles. It's too late in the build for this project but the next V-22 I do will have it done this way. Plus there's always the Quad Tilt Rotor too ----
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:07:22 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2018, 12:52:32 PM »
Looking good!!  How about a USA-Ukraine Quad Tilt-Rotor using the fuselage of an AN-12?  If you do go for a quad tilt-rotor, remember the aft engines are farther out from the fuselage than the front ones as you don't want the front exhausts to get ingested by the aft engines.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
Thanks Evan --

The QTR I've already started, I've used a Transall fuselage as a base. I need a bare minimum of 6 1/2" between the prop-rotors centers (they're 38 feet in diameter) and even the Transall fuselage is pushing it for clearance. But the USA-Ukraine idea is worth thinking about but not with the airframe side of things ---- my idea for the QTR is it's powered by a pair of very powerful turbo-shafts --- like maybe 15,000 hp ones ---  ;) 

I'll explain in another thread (and I think I have one going somewhere)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:25:33 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »
Your incredibly well-engineered builds are a joy to watch!

The tolerances you achieve are mind-boggling.

I really like the rotor! Looks every bit the business.

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »
I was impressed with the first couple of posts, then I kept scrolling. What a beast! I love every part of it, what you're doing is inspired. Bravo!

Well I have a 1/48 XV-15 kit somewhere
Fantastic. I was browsing eBay a few months back and found a few promotional images of a desert camo'd XV-15 that got my imagination going.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks Brian, Zak (nice to see you back)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
Fantastic. I was browsing eBay a few months back and found a few promotional images of a desert camo'd XV-15 that got my imagination going.
It's an odd scale, but you can occasionally find a 1/84 XV-15 on Ebay; it was a promo-kit sold by Bell "back in the day".  I'd love to find the Anigrand 1/72 one, but I suspect that, since it's OOP, that it would cost more than I care to pay.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
It's an odd scale, but you can occasionally find a 1/84 XV-15 on Ebay; it was a promo-kit sold by Bell "back in the day".  I'd love to find the Anigrand 1/72 one, but I suspect that, since it's OOP, that it would cost more than I care to pay.

!/84 is a model railway scale --- I can find loads of model vehicles and heavy equipment die casts in that scale but not in 1/72.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
There are a lot of 1:72nd scale printed models of vehicles (many types) available at Shapeways that are affordable and quite detailed. 

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
There are a lot of 1:72nd scale printed models of vehicles (many types) available at Shapeways that are affordable and quite detailed.

Yep! I got one of my truck  ---- but bloody expensive ---

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »
It's an odd scale, but you can occasionally find a 1/84 XV-15 on Ebay; it was a promo-kit sold by Bell "back in the day".
I first saw that on Scalemates and I've wanted one ever since. Looks like it'd be a fun project.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2018, 01:53:48 AM »
It's an odd scale, but you can occasionally find a 1/84 XV-15 on Ebay; it was a promo-kit sold by Bell "back in the day".
I first saw that on Scalemates and I've wanted one ever since. Looks like it'd be a fun project.
They aren't cheap when they show up.  There's one on Ebay now for US$70.  I got lucky and acquired mine from a guy who retired from Bell Flight Test as part of a package deal.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2018, 06:22:48 AM »
Not a lot of progress lately, before I got laid off I was doing 12-13 hour days right up to the last day at the beginning of this month.

But somethings did get done, I've started on the starboard engine nacelle and made a bit of a start at the blades that will go on it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:33 AM »
I've been trying to figure out how I can mix these images into something I can make into a decal

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2018, 01:35:50 AM »
Reminds me of this one:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.