Author Topic: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors  (Read 25751 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
Thanks Gingie

I picked up a 48th A-10 at TORCAN because of this!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
Thanks Gingie

I picked up a 48th A-10 at TORCAN because of this!

You're going to do one of these in 1/48th ?      8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Some progress just recently, got the other sponson built and the fuselage has had a round of PSR.
But I'm going to try something now, I'll attempt to make the flaps work ------- they need to be multi-posable so they look right with the nacelles in various positions.   

I had to abandon a couple of ideas I had, one idea was to have three pylons under the fuselage (one on each sponson and one on the centerline). But because of how I want the weapons bay doors to work (they will have RP tubes in the doors), I found that the doors would hit whatever was on the pylons when they were opened for RP firing. Likewise with the idea of how I wanted to attach the wing stubs to the fuselage, interfered with the doors again. So back to the original idea of just attaching the stubs to the fuselage and use some wing root fairings. So it will have just the centerline pylon now.

Another idea I had was where to mount the GAU-8 --- originally I wanted to put it in an under-wing-stub semi-recessed pod, but because of where I have to place the sponsons (close to the fuselage) so that the RP's and Hellfires can be fired during a head-on attack, meant I might have to abandon the GAU-8 --- or place it in the front of one of the sponsons. I haven't decided yet.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:16:05 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 01:46:57 AM »
Another idea I had was where to mount the GAU-8 --- originally I wanted to put it in an under-wing-stub semi-recessed pod, but because of where I have to place the sponsons (close to the fuselage) so that the RP's and Hellfires can be fired during a head-on attack, meant I might have to abandon the GAU-8 --- or place it in the front of one of the sponsons. I haven't decided yet.

Given the GAU-8 is over 6m long, are you sure it will fit as described?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:28 AM »

Given the GAU-8 is over 6m long, are you sure it will fit as described?

The idea is just this part would be in the sponson, the drum would be stowed in the fuselage

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 05:20:43 AM »
I suppose another option would be to do a faired in Gepod approach with the ammunition wrapping around the gun:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
I had originally thought of using one of those, the problem with it is the chin turret I have under the nose. I don't want any interference between the two guns so the GAU-8 has to be positioned higher than the bottom of the fuselage. I want the chin turret to be operational when the GAU-8 is in use.

The drawing you've attached though, gives a good idea how long the barrels and breach actually is, about 3 meters or 9'-10"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:32:43 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
What about mounting the turret under the middle of the fuselage. Could still fire in every direction.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
I thought about that too kerick, but then with the prop-rotors in the forward flight mode, the gun would be restricted in where it could be fired without shooting the blades off (and that's even by shortening them as I have). At the moment I have it so it can fire in around a 200 degree arc, that's forward and off to the sides. By positioning the GAU-8 in the front of one of the sponsons, it's clear of the blade tips by quite a margin compared to the V-22, which has the blade tips passing very close to the fuselage sides.  I found one of those Gepods in my stash, I'll post a pic later to show the size difference between it and a sponson.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 01:44:55 AM »
I had originally thought of using one of those, the problem with it is the chin turret I have under the nose. I don't want any interference between the two guns so the GAU-8 has to be positioned higher than the bottom of the fuselage. I want the chin turret to be operational when the GAU-8 is in use.

The drawing you've attached though, gives a good idea how long the barrels and breach actually is, about 3 meters or 9'-10"

I would use the GEPOD but fair it into the front of the sponson.  This would put the muzzle pretty much in the same position as the rockets that were trailed a little while back:

It would also be conceptually similar (though neater) to this:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:29 AM »
OK, the idea is not to go the 'arming the V-22' route, which is why I'm shortening the prop-rotors but adding more of them. The idea is to make the equivalent of a Cobra compared to a Huey. For what it's worth, I don't like the AC-130 type of gunship, the Cobra seemed to me to be what a gunship should be so that's what I'm attempting here.

The Gepod is quite a large bit of kit, but here's a comparison of a 1/72 Gepod alongside my sponson. You can see the A-10 GAU-8 barrels and fairing that I removed from the A-10 kit, glued to the front of the sponson (top pic). I've positioned the barrel ends about where it shows in the drawing shown in Greg's posting. The next pic shows the sponsons to the AV-22, which is a big aircraft. As big as an A-10 really ---

The prop-rotor blades are shortened enough that they clear the sponson, although until I get the weapons bay doors done, I think only the inner ones will be able to fire the RP's in a head-on attack.

If you go back to Post #11, you can see how the sponson will be orientated. The bottom half of it has the weapons bay and wheel bay, the top half was to be fuel tanks but I've since changed that. The photo I posted of the barrels/breach and the ammo drum shows some interesting details, it looks like the gun is just bolted down by the brackets it shows. So as the sponson has a mid-point shelf (so to speak) the gun would be bolted down to that.

Sorry, I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, and I know everyone is trying to offer helpful advice, but the plan is to make a modern day Cobra.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:41:22 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 10:29:58 AM »

I would use the GEPOD but fair it into the front of the sponson.  This would put the muzzle pretty much in the same position as the rockets that were trailed a little while back:

Note that a production version of this would have pylons for gunpods (small), rocket pods, or missiles on both sides though there are dimensional limits; for ex. you could only have a double rack of Hellfires, adding a second pair below them isn't possible without hitting the ground when on the gear.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 01:02:31 AM »
I forgot you had the A-10 fuselage on this.  Looks damn fine.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
Cheers Greg ----

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 09:13:06 AM »
I thought I had posted these pics but apparently not --

Top one shows where I cut the whole top off the V-22 fuselage. I then reduced the width so it would fit onto the A-10 fuselage. Also shows where I cut out the main wheel bays.

Second one shows how I had to repair the A-10 fuselage after it broke totally in half.

Next two show where I reduced the width of the wing center where it goes over the fuselage. Once I had glued it to the wing box which is part of the fuselage top I then filed it to match the curved top of the A-10 fuselage.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
It appears I either forgot to add photos to reply #25, or the pics went missing. It would explain why I thought I had posted pics of the repair work. I've fixed the reply with the appropriate photos
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:06:20 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
A couple of other pics I thought I had posted -----   ???

Top one shows I've finalized the nose gear arrangement and how the orientation on the sponsons but without the wing in place.

Bottom one has the wing in place.

The main gear is straight off the V-22, the nose gear is a combination of the A-10 strut and the V-22 oleo and wheels.

What I wanted to have here is space beneath the fuselage for a fuel tank, an F-15 size one. Or it could be for a MER and some smart weapons etc ---
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:26:35 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
This is looking good! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
Cheers Guy ---

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:03 PM »
Nice work on that fuselage!  :smiley: Looks the business.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »
Tempted to copy this idea...maybe using something like a He-219 fuselage.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
That would work too Greg   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
Here's some pics showing the AV-22 next to a V-22. The bottom pic shows the difference between the two prop-rotors, the one with the BERP blade tips will eventually have six blades. You can also see why I shortened them compared to the original blades on the starboard side.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:31:20 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
Very nice Robert. Twin tails are the best!  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:37 AM »
Big brother to BAT: