Author Topic: Rod Lewis' restored P-40C in 1/48  (Read 2364 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Rod Lewis' restored P-40C in 1/48
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:28 AM »
Hi all,
I've never really been a fan of the early, long-nosed P-40s but when Airfix announced their 1/48 kit I decided it looked too good to miss out on. So I bought one and built it using the kit decals for George Welch's Pearl Harbor machine which, coincidentally, is the same markings as AK295, the P-40C restored in New Zealand for oil baron Rod Lewis. I never got to see it fly, although I did get to see it during the restoration. It flew a couple of weeks later:

the exhaust stacks to the top left of the photo are on the DH Mosquito I was standing under, no big deal  8)

Because I was building a restored aircraft it made colour matching/references infinitely easier. AK295 was one of the aircraft covered in top NZ warbird photographer - and my former boss - Gavin Conroy's first book Precious Metal, so I had a bunch of high-quality photos at my fingertips to check various little details. The big cockpit photo was an especially big help.

At the beginning of the year it was almost done, but I had a dust disaster when clear-coating the canopy and windscreen. Cue a long wait for Airfix to get the spares in stock - they then sent the whole clear sprue instead of just the two bits I asked for, thank you Airfix! - and then she was finished. This kit had me smiling quite often because it was a literal joy to build. Beautiful fit, lovely detail, and a good price to boot. Bravo Airfix. Bring on the Sea Fury and Phantom!

She looks right at home with my growing collection of 1/48 warbirds:

I used the kit decals (still need an extra stencil for the tail to match the restored aircraft), Tamiya acrylics throughout (main scheme XF-62 over I think XF-53) followed by Humbrol Glosskote and then Humbroll Satinkote.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:31:15 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
Re: Rod Lewis' restored P-40C in 1/48
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:26 AM »
Lovely bird Zac !
Alex

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:13:48 AM »
Beauty, you really do some nice work.    :))
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:58 AM »
Beauty, you really do some nice work.    :))

I couldn't agree more! Looks like a million bucks!

Well done, Mango King!

Brian da Basher