Author Topic: the "Herman Munster"  (Read 3837 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
the "Herman Munster"
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
Ls(R)-13 - LuftSchiff Rakete No.13, "Herman Münster" -- powered by two Henschel Hs-833 slow-burn rocket engines, Ls-13 was the first Luftschiff to be converted from parasite-fighter carrier to rocket-launch attack-ship with radars in the tail & under the control-gondola to warn it's one remaining onboard parasite fighter for self-defence.

Many years ago I wanted Trumpeter's Chinese Type-33G missile-submarine (a derivitive of Russia's Romeo class subs) but local shops couldn't supply it  :(  Brian da Basher's builds inspired me to try an airship project & the idea of a missile-firing airship came to be.  So I started looking around for suitable kits, checking scale plans against each other, kit sizes, shapes etc and settled on combining Trumpeter's Kilo class sub plus their Chinese Type-33G missile-sub - both in 1/144 scale & both around 21" long - HobbyEasy had both kits on discount so I ordered them.

I started with the Kilo class sub, building the three-part hull was easy but it required a fair amount time to bog & smooth in the 3 full-length joins & several small moulding blemishes.  As I had almost run out of my favourite tube putty & it's no longer available, I bought some car bog that seems to be better for large jobs but not for fine work like scratch filling.  The hull, used upside-down, would be the basis for my LuftSchiff.

Next I assembled the missile section from Trumpeter's Chinese Type-33G missile submarine, mounting it on top - as it sat proud, I had to fair it in fore & aft with more bog.  This section has six pop-up missiles & the parts are well molded with only two small mounting holes for the sub's conning tower which won't be fitted on this model.  I assembled the missile-tubes & doors but had lost one somewhere so replaced it with a suitably-sized part from an AFV kit & faired that in too.
The sub's fin, now being on top, forms the LuftSchiff's vertical stabilizer, I fitted the rudder upside-down & found that it looked rather World-War-One in style but left a large-ish gap under it, so I extended it with a bit of plasticard.

Trumpeter's Chinese Type-33G kit contains all the parts for a standard Type-33 model so can still be built as a regular model.

More later ...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: the "Herman Munster"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »
Hmm, looking good so far.  This is going to be a most interesting "beast".

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
Love the name, I'll really look forward to seeing this concept come together!!!  :) :) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:46 AM »
Love the name, I'll really look forward to seeing this concept come together!!!  :) :) 8)

That is some totally killer nomenclature.

Brian da Basher

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 01:42:17 PM »
I KNEW I'd posted this here, lucky I kept the url as a search couldn't find it. :-[

Anyway here's the present shots of it & possible colour schemes.  I now have the paint for it only a few months to the finish (slow-poke icon).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 01:44:19 PM by raafif »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 09:46:46 PM »
I'd be going with the "Herman Münster", it just suits it. ;) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 06:23:07 AM »
Very interesting project

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »
I love this idea. I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »
You could have the whole Munster class. Herman, Lilly, Grandpa, Eddy and Marilyn.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 12:32:18 AM »
I'd be going with the "Herman Münster", it just suits it. ;) :smiley:
or, as the LuftschiffMänner referred to it "Alter Flachkopf"*. Nifty bit of imagineering, and the 'slow burn rocket engines' are icing on the Dieselpunk cake.

*"Old Flat Head"