Author Topic: Supersonic Lufthansa  (Read 2812 times)

Hammerhead

Supersonic Lufthansa
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »
I've just realised that you're probably the perfect audience for this little story. Most of you will know the broader history and can skip the next paragraph, but I've included it for those that don't...

Back in the 1960s, there was a lot of excitement about the possibility of supersonic airliners. Planes like the Convair B-58 and the NA XB-70 showed that the designs and aeronautics scaled well - at a price. And for national or corporate prestige, everyone was in a rush to loft the first one. By the end of the decade, Boeing even got to the point of full-scale mockup... http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=3493 ...before the Nixon administration sobered up and freaked out at all the zeroes it was seeing on the budget.

As we know, it all ended in expensive cancellations and bankrupt contractors, except in the case of Concorde.  Lufthansa even paid a $700,000 deposit on three of them before the project was scaled back, and never took delivery.

But long before that, long before there was a realistic design for a supersonic airliner, Lufthansa knew that was the direction they were going to take. Here then is a model - clearly derived from the B-58 (and probably four GE-J79 engines short of being capable of going supersonic), as modeled by my grandmother:

She wasn't impressed.

For a bit of context, they were flying Convair 340s and Super Constellations at the time.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Supersonic Lufthansa
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
... She wasn't impressed...

Very cool that Oma got the chance to pose with this flight of fancy though  ;) Thanks for sharing!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:08:31 AM »
Interesting - not sure if it is a B-58 derived SST (see here), though it is certainly appealing.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
You Grandma has some serious modeling chops! Now I see where you get it from!

Brian da Basher