Author Topic: SFC-1 Osprey  (Read 12047 times)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
SFC-1 Osprey
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
So I cracked a beer and put on Metallica tonight and this was the result, enjoy!  8)

I started with a TP-40N and grafted an R-1830 from a P-36 onto the front in lieu of the Merlin.  Modified the canopy so that the rear portions would slide forward.  The floats are from the SC Seahawk.  Basically its a two-seater, radial powered P-40.  The back seater displaced the main fuselage fuel tank but fret not!  Since its a float plane and doesn't need landing gear anymore the space gained by deleting them along with the wing guns allowed for the installation of tanks that added up to and exceeded the lost fuselage tank thus restoring the plane's previous range and even increasing it slightly despite the addition of the extra weight and drag.  Forward firepower was restored with a pair of .50s above the engine as in the P-36.

Backstory:  During the middle of the war the USN was looking for a new float plane for its cruisers and battleships and started a design competition.  Designing a plane to their specs Curtiss submitted the SO3C-1 Seamew which the USN reluctantly accepted as the best of the bunch even though it turned out to be a rather abysmal aircraft.  A tour of the Curtiss production plant by the USN brass revealed a homegrown project lead a by a small cadre of engineers and workers of a wrecked TP-40E trainer that had been fitted with floats and a radial for a possible float plane trainer for the USN.  The stunned brass inquired why they hadn't been shown it before and were told it simply wasn't finished yet.  They immediately ordered them to get it airborne ASAP.  Upon seeing it in flight the brass canceled the Seamew and ordered an initial run of 250 of the new float plane dubbing it the SFC-1 for Scout-Fighter Curtiss Model 1.  Curtiss filled the order by diverting new production P-40s as well as refurbishing older models that still had sufficient life left in them.

The USN was thoroughly impressed that it could handle all the roles of the current float planes, was similar in size and range AND could perform like a fighter and thus defend itself effectively.  Something the the current stock was sorely lacking!  The plane went on to supplant the venerable old SOC Seagull and OS2U Kingfisher and wasn't completely replaced even when its successor the SC Seahawk was accepted and served alongside its stablemate into the postwar years.

Any and all comments, thoughts, ideas, etc... are appreciated as always.  Painted versions are on the way!!!  I have a few ideas for schemes but I'll take requests as well  :)
-Mike

"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: SFC-1 Osprey
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:55:35 AM »
Gorgeous.  I love this.  I'd love to see an R-1830 variant, too.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:31:54 AM »
Thanks Logan!  Do you mean a Merlin variant?  She already has an R-1830 on her...right?

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »
 :) cant go wrong with beer , metallica and cool float-planes! :)
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
Thanks Logan!  Do you mean a Merlin variant?  She already has an R-1830 on her...right?

Sorry, bud, that's an R-1820.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »
:) cant go wrong with beer , metallica and cool float-planes! :)

I almost agree...except I would go for Scotch instead of beer.  Which album?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
So it is an 1820!  Oh well, I nipped it from a Mohawk IV so its a 1,200 HP version (G205A) and that's just fine with me.  That's makes a nice replacement for a 1,050 HP R-1830 or 1,150 HP Merlin especially with all of the weight and drag I've added.

Sorry Greg, never had Scotch actually...  Gin is great though ;)  I had the Live: Binge and Purge album on which is a live concert from Mexico City in 1993.  Has the best live versions of a lot of their songs IMO.  Hardly ever listen to the studio versions anymore  :D

Any other suggestions while I still have it as just a line drawing?  Changing things after I start painting is annoyingly tedious.  I have to finish up my Floaty GB stuff so I'll come back to this in a week or so.

Glad you guys like it!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »
So it is an 1820!  Oh well, I nipped it from a Mohawk IV so its a 1,200 HP version (G205A) and that's just fine with me.  That's makes a nice replacement for a 1,050 HP R-1830 or 1,150 HP Merlin especially with all of the weight and drag I've added.

Yeah, but I was asking about the R-1830 for aesthetic reasons.  Those P-36s look so much better than the R-1820 versions, in my opinion.  How about a dozen SFCs ordered by Sweden as replacements for its Hawker Osprey floatplanes?

Sweden license built the 1,200 hp R-1830-S1C3G for its Saab B 17s, so that would be a real good fit and no performance loss.

Thanks,

Logan

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »
Hmmm....  What is that scoop under the cowl on the Alpha models?  Some photos show it fixed while some drawings show it open, some closed, and given its location, I'm hesitant to allow it on a float plane.  Water ingestion would be bad!  The one cutaway drawing I have isn't completely clear where the scoop goes.  Could it be moved to the sides?  If it doesn't need to be open for takeoffs/landings then I won't worry about it.  F4Fs used the same engine but I don't recall a similar scoop...hmm...

Another reason for the 1820 over the 30 is that mid war, the USN still had 4-5 ship based planes using them vs only "land" based (2-4 engine flying boats) using the 1830.  The 1820 would suit the USN better I'd think for commonality and parts reasons.  I know the myriad of different versions would all be different but they'd be close enough I'd think.

That being said...Export versions could have whatever they wanted  ;)  I'll whip up an 1830 version for the Swedes.  Any ideas on their camo or other markings?  What about quirks, IE equipment or features unique to them?  I'm not familiar at all with their stuff save for that cool cruiser in your first post.

Did the cowls for the Swedish 1830s look any different on the B-17s?  Can't find any photos of Swedish Forts save for a book cover  :icon_crap:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:36:31 AM by Cliffy B »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:09 PM »
Thanks, Cliffy B.  If you're referring to what I think you're talking about, it's the retractable oil cooler.  It's directly under the engine and would be just fine since it's well forward of the spray.  If you're talking about those big things behind it, they're just exhaust fairings which were left off on the R-1820-powered Hawk 75s.

As for the differences between the R-1820 and the R-1830, they were both still very common at the time in the US Navy.  The Catalina used R-1830s, so you'd find parts for those just about anywhere.

On the Swedes, I said "B 17", not "B-17".  I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to designations, so I'm not likely to leave out the dash lightly.  ;)  Besides, the B-17 was R-1820s, not R-1830s.

This:

Not this:

For camo, that's your choice.  You really have six options for the Swedes.

1) Historically accurate overall natural metal/dope, such as the scheme seen on Swedish Harts pre-war and Swedish Catalinas post-war.

2) Historically accurate polished metal and gray/green paint combination, as seen on Swedish Hawker Ospreys.

3) Historically accurate green over gray with large numbers and national markings.  It looks distinctly Swedish, you can't go wrong for wartime Sweden, but man is it boring.  As seen on about everything between 1942 and 1950, including this float-equipped S 17BS.

4) Historically accurate green over silver camo as seen on the Gladiators and Harts of F19, the Swedish volunteer unit that served in Finland.

5) Historically accurate Italian 2- and 3-tone camo as seen on Swedish CR.42s and Re.2000s.  Now, the Swedes didn't generally go about repainting other aircraft like this except for the Severskys, but you do what you want.

6) Whatever the heck you feel like.  The Swedes were generally boring when it came to camo.  You want to do something different, go for it.  It's your profile.

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
Looking really good!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
This is dead clever Cliffy! Backseater sits where the Hawk fuel tank was.  But the fuel can go in the main float. Nice!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »
Just an update...this WILL be finished by midnight tomorrow.  Probably just 1 or 2 camo variations but it will be finished.

These last 2 weeks were busy, busy, busy so I haven't touched this in a while.

Check back in 36 hours!  Away I go!!!

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »
Just an update...this WILL be finished by midnight tomorrow.  Probably just 1 or 2 camo variations but it will be finished.

These last 2 weeks were busy, busy, busy so I haven't touched this in a while.

Check back in 36 hours!  Away I go!!!

Isn't it midnight tonight, though? (the 14th)

Regardless, I hope to see this finish, that's a beautiful bird. I've always loved Curtisses. Also good to see more Virginia members here.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I've always gone by the final day and been fine IE, in this case 11:59PM on the 15th.  If that's a problem please tell me now as I'll need tomorrow to finish off the profile.

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I've always gone by the final day and been fine IE, in this case 11:59PM on the 15th.  If that's a problem please tell me now as I'll need tomorrow to finish off the profile.

I was too.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3005.msg48150#msg48150

Can't wait to see it finished though! It's a great design.

Offline Cliffy B

• Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Seeing as how the GB ends tonight and not tomorrow (yeah I can read.... :icon_beer: ) here she is.  Not as polished as I would have liked (forgot the cast shadows...) but its all good. 

I'll do some more camo versions and nationalities later.  Suggestions welcomed.

Enjoy!

Any and all thoughts, comments, ideas, etc... are appreciated as always.
-Mike
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:59:45 AM by Cliffy B »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
Looks gorgeous, Cliffy!  Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
A beauty!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 01:49:30 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.