Author Topic: SBY 2199 Haizerado Class Astro Battleship - done  (Read 19830 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
SBY 2199 Haizerado Class Astro Battleship - done
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
hi everyone

Yes, I know I'm supposed to be building the BR52, but I just couldn't contain my excitement of building this ship any longer! I've been busting at the bit to get started on this since it arrived from Japan about 4 weeks ago. For those of you who have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, it's this ship set right here:

I just love the shape and menacing appearance of this Battleship., According to my sources, this was the latest variant of battleship to come out and to make things even better, it comes in any color you like. Don't ask me what the name is because as far as I know, it doesn't have one.

However, in the main story, there are 3 particular schemes of note. One is Blue and that belongs to the head honcho's royal guard another one is the intelligence Chief's flagship which is gray and the third variant is green and that seems to be the most common one out there.

I'm going to do the Gray scheme because so far, of all the one's I've seen online, no one has done the gray one yet and I kind of like the idea of this ship being a flagship - even though the super dreadnought makes it look small in comparison.

Also inside this set, there is a troop transporter which is in splinter colors (on the box art, it's the one on the bottom right next to the Bandai logo) but also this wicked looking unmanned drone.

I think with some extra detailing, I can maybe make it look even better. That's a big maybe mind you.

I've been thinking of ways to light this and I'll admit, parts of it will be incredibly tricky. Most of all is the scoop like things on the bottom. On the battleship, they are molded in clear yellow, which is fine - that can be adjusted with the right color LEDs, but the ones on the drone are solidly molded on and I have no idea on how A) I'm going to get the detail out of there and B) what material I'll use to replace them.:

If you have any ideas, feel free to share them!

So, enough intro, onto the build! I've had this out of the box now for about an hour or so and I have mutilated it already, getting ready for the installation of lighting. I'm waiting on the arrival of some orange, pink and green LED's which I ordered a while ago and should be here this week!

The good thing about this ship is there isn't much lighting to do, so it should be quick and easy.....famous last words!

It's a decent length too - just on 39cm.

I love the way Bandai have engineered these kits with all these little compartments that make lighting life so much easier.

Well, that's enough for tonight - it's late here and I need to go to bed, but I'll continue on with this tomorrow night and post an update soon.

Sorry to those who were watching the 52, but rest assured, I'll get back to it again soon

Thanks for looking

MH
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:55:30 AM by Madhatter »
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
Re: SBY 2199 Haizerado Class Astro Battleship
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:03 AM »
well, time for one last up date for the week. I have made some progress, although seemingly not much. However, removing the bridge window is a challenge when you consider it is only 2mm high at it's tallest point. I will fill it in with clear cement once the paintings done so it won't look like a holed out window.

I have also begun adding the usual micro detailing to give it some texture. I will try not to go over board on this one. Fibers have also been added as nav lights and there is an SMD in the bridge for it's illumination

I have also tried out something new and dug out a small trench at the rear of these small fins to enable a fiber thread to be installed. I finally got to break out my smallest engraving tool and Ii am really happy with the over all result. I  just need to add putty over it to smooth it out and blend in with the rest of the fin.

And lastly, I  have created a new kind of light box for the side things (no one I know actually knows what they are called or what they do other than they change colors depending on the ships status). I may yet change out the frosted clear bits and re-do them but not so frosty. It depends on how much light they will disperse - or not.

Well, that;s it for this week. Be back again soon with some more of this awesome ship

Thanks for looking

MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
Let the goodness commence

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:02:07 PM »
you     are     insane       I like it!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Cheers guys. Hopefully I won't disappoint  ;)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
greetings everyone

Well, things progress ever so slowly, but I thought I'd catch you up where I am currently.

I spent a fair amount of time setting up the rear engine lighting - most of the time spent trying to work out what to use as an LED holder. In the end, I went with a hollowed out drive wheel from a Tamiya M60A3 tank. Works perfectly!

I cut a disc from clear plastic sheet and then sprayed a coat of Testors Dullcoat to give it a nice frosted effect. The little nozzle that protrudes in the middle got hacked up too and I must say, I am happy with the end result. Obviously, the below pics are just a light test and nothing is glued on, but on the final product I will make sure everything is centered etc

And the light box in the middle is still being worked on. Trying to make it fit is becoming a challenge to say the least!

And finally, the bridge work is now all done and ready to be installed:

Well, that's it for now. I'll continue working on the Middle light box but I am waiting on delivery of the last colored LED set to arrive. I bought 50 Yellow LED's but what I didn't realise is that they are flashing LED's and unfortunately, they blink to fast to be of use on this ship. So, if you want some flashing yellow LED's please feel free to ask me for some. I have no use for them, but it's not so bad when considering I only paid $3.50AU delivered for them.

See you again soon

MH

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
Just love your starships ............  :-*

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
Amazing detailing, and the engine lighting looks fantastic.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
cheers guys, means a lot

I spent some time on the electrics last night and I found I had to cut some corners - literally - off the central light box to make it fit. I'm still waiting on the last of the LEDs to arrive before I can finish that off and get it installed and wired in. But I'm also waiting on a critical part of this set up before I can really know if I need to make a different set of lights - I'm waiting on the micro controller to arrive. Then, once I can be sure it fits in to the space I've managed to allot for it, I can really continue. The controller will instruct the central lights to fade-change colours every 20-39 seconds from Green for at rest to yellow/orange for at battle stations (I think that's the right way around - or it might be the other - I'll have to check)
I just hope the controller will fit otherwise I'll have to change plans and have to make up a base, house it in there and up the wires up through the ship. Which would be a PITA to say the least but still do-able

Anyway, here's the fruits of my minimalistic labor ;)

first up - the top half of the ship is mostly together and retail to detail:

I thought this little bit here was quite a nice design feature that had remained hidden until now.

And inside:

Well, that's all for now. See you again soon

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
got to spend some time on this today as I was quite unwell this morning. Doc says get some rest, etc etc

So, with the wife and boy away visiting one of her friends, I decided that the best way for me to relax and "rest" was to do some more on this ship.

I spent a long time tidying up the wires and fiber threads and finishing up what I can ready for the micro controller to be installed.

As you can see, I have gone for the plug system again to power the LED's which are separate to the controller. Because that plug is powered, I'll use the last plug left to run the M.C and nav lights

However, I don't have enough spaces for the bridge light to plug into this board, so I'll keep the extended wires and plug it into another plug which will go into the lower half of the ship.

All being well, the last of the LED's will be here this week, so I can then finish off the central light box and get that installed to.

Organised chaos:

Well, that's all for now but I'll be back again probably on Monday with another update.

Thanks for watching

MH

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:43:16 AM »
That looks like a lot of difficult work requiring the patience of a saint!

I bet it pays off in big way! I really like that purplish light you installed.

My hat's off to you! Something like this takes abilities I can only imagine!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
thanks Brian - very nice of you to say so ;)
I must admit, my patience has been tested lately as I did a lighting test last night and found that the bottom Yellow LED isn't working and I can't get in there to replace it, so I tried to move a couple of the larger fibers into the green one and boke one off - whcih in the ned wasn't so bad as I was able to re-thread it with a larger piece and the curves on it aren't so sharp.
I also broke off one of the fin lights which is a REAL PITA because that one I can't replace. It still shines out but now I have no idea on how the heck I'm going to mask it when it comes time to paint!

*sigh*

Nevermind, I'm still hopeful they will look good once finished

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
hi everyone

I have made some progress over the past few days and now the top half of the ship is now detailed and I will start the bottom half tonight.

I've also had to re-do the central lighting again. I've moved the LED's around so they don't block each other and disperse the light better. I haven't taken any pics of that yet because it's not finished

That's all for now - thanks for looking and it's back to to the studio for your regularly scheduled program...

MH

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »
hi everyone

Well, it's been a full on week with the sister in law here for a visit and an even busier working week, so those combined and with the addition of other crap, bench time has been some what limited.

I have begun work on the lower half of the ship, adding details here and there. I have decided to add some 0.7mm brass tubing bits to the guns to give them a better look. I know it's not quite screen accurate - but then, when have I ever been a stickler for accuracy?

I also got word that my micro controller is all but done and I am waiting with huge anticipation of receiving it in the mail. I'm very excited :)

Time for some pics - of which there only a few, so I do apologise.

Well, that's all for now. Will try to update again soon

Thanks for stopping in and having a squiz

MH

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
Great build progress (to be expected now each time you post :icon_beer:) and very clear macro detail pics too ..........

Brent

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
thanks Brent  :)
Yeah - macro...I really need to step back from the ship when taking photos and learn how to use Photoshop to crop and enlarge. I would normally shoot with a much higher depth of field, but I no longer have an operational tripod and my hands are not steady enough to take a picture like that without one

Si

Offline Mr Ten

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »
wow ;) Very cool ship and very interesting building ! :-*

Offline Deepsix++

• Newly Joined
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 05:46:03 AM »
where did you get those brass peaces
i like pie

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »
Thanks guys
I got the brass from my local hobby shop. It's the K and N 0.07 tubing. It's extremely easy to cut: just roll it under a razor blade and it goes straight through
You can get right down to 0.4mm . Best of all, you can telescope them; 8, 6,4 to create some nice small gun barrels
MH

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
Just another MH masterclass in starship detail and lighting.

Nice work Simon, this is great.

Another source for good brass is Albion Alloys http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/
This gear is becoming readily available here in Aus as well with most larger (and some smaller shops) stocking it.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »
Albion - that's the brand I've been using, not K&N (sorry, my bad there, should have looked at the label on the carrier tube first - I just bought some larger brass tube that's K&N, hence the confusion on my part)

I got mine from VHC a while ago

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
greetings everyone

Well, it is a minimal update this week sorry. I am waiting on the micro controller to arrive at some point this week in order for me to be able to finish off constructing the battleship. I can't do anymore on it until it arrives unfortunately. So, I decided to make the little drone that comes with the set. I was going to try and light the "eyes" but I just couldn't find a feasible way of doing it, so it's only the engines that are lit sorry.

Since taking the pictures, I have joined the 2 halves together and am waiting for the putty to dry before I start to paint it. I hope to have the first coat on tonight (fingers crossed)

Well, that's all I have for this week. Sorry it's so minimal. Hopefully, the controller will arrive soon and I can really get things rolling toward the end

Thanks for stopping in

MH

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 02:43:15 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Deepsix++

• Newly Joined
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 05:19:25 AM »
what sort of glue do you use for those really small bits you added for detail
i like pie

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 07:49:14 AM »
I use Tamiya Extra thin cement. I pick up the chips with a sharp knife and dip the surface in a puddle of cement on the top of the jar and then apply the piece. The best and worst thing about this glue is it dries very quickly.
I'll be updating this thread again soon. Pretty much finished the drone and it's looking good