Author Topic: 1/32 SU-27  (Read 7463 times)

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
1/32 SU-27
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
Well, it's time to tackle something a little bit bigger this time - the mighty Trumpeter 1/32 SU-27! It's huge!!
I do have a spot for it on the shelf but I rather suspect it will take up a lot more room than what I've allocated. I think a reshuffle will be in order
I have spent a few hours on it already - most of it prepping the body and making the missiles, getting the resin all cut up and sanded, and I have just put down a coat of black Alclad primer onto the cockpit.
I was going to add lights to this, but now I can't be arsed. If I was going to use the Trumpy pit, then yeah, I would, but as I'm using the Aires pit, well, too much work was needed to accommodate lighting

I never intended to use any resin AM parts other than the Zacto Intakes, but I got all of them for dirt cheap, so I may as well. I can't believe it though - I actually broke the cockpit floor! I know right:- the floor!!!! How did I do that?? Well, as I was sawing away the huge pour plug when I realised I had sawed upwards a bit and the blade went into the floor a bit. Then as I was removing the plug, it snapped right where the seat sits. I know that sounds very complicated and you probably have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, but I will show you some pictures of it once the paint has gone on. Thank God it broke in a place that you won't see once it's all together

But, thankfully, that's the only thing to have gone wrong ..... so far

In the mean time, I have washed the body with Tamiya's panel line wash. This seems a bit odd considering I haven't actually put anything together, but I find it's easier to keep track of what details I am loosing as the sanding process goes onward. It also helps with the painting of the body when it's time to do that.

I have also removed the splitter panels on the bottom half ready for the Zacto intakes

Time for the limited pictures:

the Missiles so far (they will have some missing details added to them shortly)

Now I know that Aires have a reputation for not always fitting properly and the front wheel wells of the Flanker kit are well documented, but nothing prepared me for this:

Notice that the holding pins don't even line up and the length of mine isn't really an issue. I think I will bypass using these wells and detail the kit ones instead. The rear ones seem fine so far, but it's early days yet and I haven't even sawed off the pour plugs yet.

People bag out Trumpeter for producing incorrect details of these wheel wells but let's be honest - how many times are you likely to turn over such a huge kit to look at the wheel wells? I know I won't be. If I have too many issues with the Aires stuff, I will revert to the Kit ones and detail them instead.

Well, I'm going to go now and keep chugging on with this, but I will post a more interesting update shortly

Thanks for stopping by

MH
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/32 SU-27
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:44:20 AM »
Wow - ambitious!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:46 AM »
Wow!  The Aires resin not fitting?  Considering how damned expensive that stuff is you would expect a better product. 

Certainly an ambitious project and larger than most people realize.  The Academy kit in 1:48th scale was gargantuan but in 1:32nd scale it is a dinner table-top modeling project just for the space requirements :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
You're mad - the 1/72 Flanker I bought is far too big! I honestly had to check the scale wasn't a misprint. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
Wow!  The Aires resin not fitting?  Considering how damned expensive that stuff is you would expect a better product. 

Aires stuff rarely fits, regardless of subject, and the larger the resin piece the more likely that shrinkage is going to be an issue.
Dollars to donuts they detailed out the original Trumpeter part as their pattern, then made a mould directly from that and then
started pouring resin to make copies which then shrunk as they cured. By it's nature it will shrink more along the long axis, so it
becomes very doubtful that the holes on the cloned part would line up with the injection moulded part.
It's just the nature of the beast.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
Yes - Aires stuff does have a reputation for ill fitting parts. Still, they look great! :)

Well, I have finally managed to sort out my Laptop and get a connection back with the camera and as such, I can finally upload where I currently am up to.

I realise the intro pics were very dull and not interesting at all, so maybe these ones wuill be of more interest to you.

The cockpit - or at least, where I am so far with it. It does need a wash of sorts, but I am reluctant to do a black was simply because I think it would be too much of a contrast, so I am thinking of grey. The paint it still drying on some parts of it and once that's dried,I'll coat it in future and then do a wash.

The main console is still a work in progress, but I did get the dials done and I must say, I am happy with how they came out

Most of the dodgy painting will be blended in better with the wash (I hope)
I have also made a couple of missing details on the body - an exhaust on the right side and some other ones on the left - although I still have more to do.

you can see where the other ones are to go with the pencil marks there

I have edited this post with some updated images fresh form the camera:

Well, that's it for now, but thanks for looking

MH
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:11:55 PM by Madhatter »

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
Fine work on the cockpit, the instrument panel is excellent.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
Great job so far :) I just love to watch your WIP-s. They're rally inspirational.
I wonder if you've seen this one:
http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Su27/photo_frame.htm

Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
thank you Artoor - that's very kind of you to say
Yes indeed I have seen Massa's 27. In fact, it was one of the builds that inspired me a long time ago to buy one of these monsters! :)
I haven't had a chance to work on this as my family is over here from NZ to celebrate my big 40, but I am hoping to spend a couple of hours tonight working on the missiles and adding the missing detail from them. I'll update again soon
MH

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
What scheme do you have in mind for the final work?

my family is over here from NZ to celebrate my big 40

You do know that mention of NZ results in this suggestion:

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
That is so not fair to do that to me! ;) I had a scheme all sorted out including decals and paint mixes until you showed me that! To make it worse, I really love that scheme. Wish I had seen that before I began this. I'm doing the #56 from Ukraine.
But, I do have a little 1/144 SU-27 in the pile somewhere so I think I might just have a go on that one and if it works, ill buy a 48th scale one and do the same.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »

Aires stuff rarely fits, regardless of subject, and the larger the resin piece the more likely that shrinkage is going to be an issue.
Dollars to donuts they detailed out the original Trumpeter part as their pattern, then made a mould directly from that and then
started pouring resin to make copies which then shrunk as they cured. By it's nature it will shrink more along the long axis, so it
becomes very doubtful that the holes on the cloned part would line up with the injection moulded part.
It's just the nature of the beast.

When designing gravity dies in the 90s I recall having to calculate shrinkage and draft angles but it has been so long since I've worked that side of the process I can't actually recall how I did it, i.e. whether it was a table I pulled the figures off, an automatic scaling factor or a actual calculations (I remember doing them but not whether I applied them or not on this), I do recall we introduced Unigraphics at about this point which made it all a lot easier.  Anyway I moved into R&D and testing not long after and never looked back, shame really as design drafting was fun and less physically taxing than what I ended up doing.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:58:57 AM »
That is so not fair to do that to me! ;)

Those who know me from my work environment know that I don't play fair... ;)

Of course, if you are feeling adventurous...

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
That is so not fair to do that to me! ;)

Those who know me from my work environment know that I don't play fair... ;)

Of course, if you are feeling adventurous...

... now Im wondering what a digital NZ camo scheme on an Su30 would look like ...
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »
I had exactly the same thought when I saw the above image for the first time - it was on my phone and it looked so small I  thought it was some new splinter styled scheme - but I was wrong. I am really digging the first one though and I reckon I could make that into a splinter version. I would just like to see more than just a profile though so I can see the full pattern. I could just base it on the A4 like I did with the F-22

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:58:07 AM »
Love that F-22 - need to see more!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 03:23:50 AM »
That's some amazing work!

I think I'd need a magnifying glass to truly appreciate such magnificent detailing!

The camo scheme is so natural for this bird it's scary and of course, Kiwis are always an added bonus!

Sure has the makings of a prize-winner!

Brian da Basher

Offline TurboCoupeTurbo

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
Fancy!  Looks like there is a ton of detail in that model.

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
dredging this one up because I have been slowly working away on it while I wait for my lighting boards for the Yamato

I've done a fair bit on it since July!

the Zacto intakes arrived on the day I started the Yamato (go figure) so that was one less thing to worry about

They have since been painted internally and trimmed up etc ready to go in

The Aires rear wheel wells are painted and installed. I chose to go for really dirty because I like that look. I know it's not accurate and I'm sure some will be really displeased with them, but I like them. Besides, they're underneath and who ever really looks there anyway?

I managed to get the control surfaces all fitting nicely and in place by extending the slots where the PE parts go into. That seemed to work really well. I'm going to have the front slats in the upright position because I have yet to see a Flanker build with them up and I like them nice and flat. This way, I also don't have to muck around getting the pivoting position right

The gun bay is done and I added some wires - just for interest., I doubt very much they're even there, but again - it's more for me and my tastes

So, enough writing, there's the pics

I had to add a shim of sorts on the insides of the intake roof because there would be a rather large space there - which I'm not sure why is there.
Anyways, that's it for now. I need to start mixing some blues together and do some spraying on the underside where it'll be next to impossible to get to later
As always - thanks for looking
MH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:38:20 AM by Madhatter »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »
Details like this just amaze me! I can only marvel at the incredible talent and patience it takes to do this.

This is like the X-treme sports version of model building, and you'd be a contender for the championship for sure!

Thanks for a great update!

Brian da Basher

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
 :-[ thanks Brian - your very kind

I'm putting a call out for help. I cracked my canopy while polishing it and I need a replacement. Unfortunately, Zacto no longer produce the replacement set, so I am hoping someone out there already has this replacement set and is willing to sell me the kit one?

Si