Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 198437 times)

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
Re: Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #425 on: May 09, 2015, 07:41:28 AM »
Cool!

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #426 on: May 09, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
OK, Gingie, I think you've been holding out on us! >:D

I see 2 unfinished AFV's & a pic of a great build that didn't appear in this thread! :o

Nice job getting the article in the mag, I'll be looking for it, too. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #427 on: May 09, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »
Well done!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:01 AM »
Cheers gang!

Here what the Ferret is slowly morphing in to. The stabilizer jacks might be a give-away to its future role. The upper is a shortened AVGP Grizzly, which the lower, although 6x6, is originally from a 8x8 LAV-25, with the second axle deleted and a segment removed from the hull. It's actually shorter that a regular AVGP 6x6 now.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #429 on: May 10, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
and a quick update on Javelin SEV...

Some Italeri and Academy parts were involved in backdating the ASLAV-PC to Canadian "Bison" era:

There were damn fiddly...I would recommend making the brush guard out of copper wire for anyone trying this kit:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2015, 05:14:54 AM »
Very nice! I love where the Ferret is going  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Gingie

« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2015, 12:46:54 AM »
I want to build this with one of the AVGP lower hulls as a base, full scratchbuilt upper. Some kind of a PA vehicle...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2015, 06:44:56 AM »
Interesting. So, engine moved forward (and centred) but otherwise an AVGP lower hull?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »
Interesting base plate on the side of the Ferret.  Mmm, it's too big and square to be a mortar's.  Mmm, a MANPADS system?  RBS-70?

Offline Gingie

« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
Yep, front end would have to be shaved back to the steering linkage, and I'd have to lower the beltline a few mm.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »
Rickshaw...its actually being used for it's intended purpose :-) to provide better stability on marginal terrain. Ripped off from this:

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
Interesting.  So you have two of the baseplates, one each side of the vehicle?  I hadn't considered such a device would be necessary but I suppose in general European mud it might be!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
Interesting.  So you have two of the baseplates, one each side of the vehicle?  I hadn't considered such a device would be necessary but I suppose in general European mud it might be!

I would say they would work just as well on soft sand ----  at least when the oil drilling guys use the ones I designed for a rig they did --

Offline Gingie

« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:27 AM »

Yep! One on each side. I wish I had 2 more to satisfy my OCD :-)

Offline Gingie

« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »
I'm using my Puma as a test-bed for a new (to me) technique. It involves using physical therapy putty to mask the demarcation lines on camouflage. In theory, very similar to blu-tack or silly putty, except the "theraputty" is far more malleable.

Here's some point's I've jotted down while using it at a club build night and later on my second attempt using the Puma:

- The tan / pink putty is very malleable. I found it a little too runny and mixed it around 50:50 with silly putty (which I find a little on the firm side). This got it to a consistency I liked. I have not tried the yellow putty yet, but I suspect it might be good to go right out of the tub

- The subject was fairly complex, a LAV-TUA. This had numerous indents and 'crevasses' which would be a challenge with regular firm bluetack

- I wanted to try a 3-tone approximation of a NATO inspired pattern. I was able to get this done in around 2 hours. That is about 6 hours less than when I free hand. However, BIG however, I did rush the laying down of the putty. I expect if you really wanted to duplicated a NATO 3-tone, that the application of the putty would take much, much longer

- with that point above in mind, the putty is well suited for broad band cammo schemes. Think 1970's Canadian 3-tone, or Danish or UK Army BAOR Green & black hard edge. It would also be good for aircraft, where they have much smoother / flatter surfaces than AFV.

- the putty can be teased into a very fine point. This gave me the idea that it could be used for 4-colour USA MERDC pattern, especially the hard-edged black and tan shadow & highlight aspect of the scheme. One could even do those small areas in hard edge using putty, and then the main 2-colours using a soft edge transition.

- putty is rolled into sausages about 1/8-1/4" diameter. The narrower you go, the more intricate the cammo pattern

- have a pair of scissors to cut the sausages with, they work better than pulling it apart, which can create fine strings (pulling gently creates fine threads, pulling sharply seems to 'shock' the putty and its snaps off)

- best way to remove it after painting is to 'dab' the putty blobs back on to itself. Go easy, as it can (and did) pull off a PE screen when I got to vigorous with the removal

- remember to fully mask the area, as the extra time spent doing this will be saved when you don't have to touch up overspray

- that's about all I can think of for now. Like all new techniques, it going to take some time to get it right. My results were not as good as I could have done free hand, but, it shows enough promise that I will for sure use this in the future, it is much easier than using masking tape.

Short follow up: I opened the mixed tub of tan theraputty and the silly putty, and they have completely separated. The thicker silly putty formed a layer on top of the thereaputty (less dense I guess). They really do behave like fluids.

And another follow up: Last night I used the yellow putty to mask a 3-tone scheme to mimic that used by Canada in the 70-80’s. I adapted a pattern used on the M-109. The putty is much better suited to the gentle flowing bands of this style.

I used the technique of thin sausages as borders and then I pressed the putty flat into sheets to mask the middle of the colour I wanted to preserve. I would not recommend doing this:

- it uses a lot of putty and makes the model heavier and more awkward to handle whilst painting
 - the ‘sheet’ putty bonds with the ‘edge’ putty, and once you have 2 colours masked off, this creates a significant sticking force to the model; I pulled off one PE screen, a mirror, and a grab handle when I removed the putty

Instead, I would go with sausages for the borders, and fill the middle area with paper (not tape – I think). Paper should be able to bond well enough with the putty to stop any overspray

As with any mask, use as light a coat of paint as possible, or you will create a built-up paint ridge at the border.

I found that rolling a small ball of the putty, after removing, and dabbing it along the edges of the camo border helped push the colour back down (lower the ridge) and removed a very slight sheen.

Lastly, I believe this masking needs to be done in a single paint session. The reason is that it is still a fluid and the mask, if left for a few hours, will start to ‘flow’ down the model. That being said, I was able to fully mask and paint a German Puma AFV with 3 – colours in 3 hours.

Happy modeling!

Graeme

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
Do you usually paint the tracks at the same time as every thing else?   I invariably put the tracks on last, after I've painted everything and after I've painted the tracks.  I then weather everything, in one hit.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »
I always try to put the tracks on last, but with this one, the way the sides hang over, I think I had to install them. I've left off the outer road wheels to mak track painting / weathering easier.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #442 on: May 30, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »
The result looks to be worthwhile

Offline apophenia

« Reply #443 on: May 30, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
Nice masking technique  :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #444 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:19 AM »
That's a great technique. Maybe you can post it in the Tips Tools and Techniques section as well? http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?board=7.0

Amazon has Therapy putty. This vendor has four colors: http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Putty-Resistive-Theraputty-strengths/dp/B001ANL5BY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433009401&sr=1-1

Offline Gingie

The Modelling Hiatus
« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
SWMBO has green lit a basement project, so the entire hobby room (and much more) has been stowed away in preparation for this long DIY. Finished space will have a rec room with TV and model room / home office with counter and cabinets, and a 3-pc bathroom. Can't afford to pay sub-contractors, so I'll be doing much of the work myself.

Phase 1:

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
You're a better man than I am, Gunga-Din! :icon_surprised:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
Different kind of build !! ;D  Good luck !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
This kinda thing takes me a long time.  Is doable.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2015, 02:04:55 AM »
This kinda thing takes me a long time.  Is doable.

The man speaks from experience!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.