Author Topic: Anyone want to have a go at helping to create some additional webpages?  (Read 6899 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Hi folks,

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the "Beyond the Sprues" experience, I am looking to add a front page (i.e a web page that people would see if they type in www.beyondthesprues.com) as well as some appropriate screens to pop up should there be a error (e.g. the dreaded 404).  However, rather then simply do it myself, I thought I would throw it open to you the members to have a go at designing something.  Therefore anyone with an IT/Web Design bent/expereince or simply plain interest, please let me know.  If you PM me I will provide more details.  If we get multiple offers, then we will probably put them to the members to vote upon.

I look forward to responses or questions.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Anyone want to have a go at helping to create some additional webpages?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:16 AM »
Alright, since I can't send PMs for some reason I'll post this here.  Keep getting this:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Hosting\8679554\html\Forum\Sources\Subs-Post.php on line 760

Although I can't make pages from scratch (don't know how to code them), I can draw up some layouts (someone else will need to code them) and design some graphics for them.  My laptop is back and running once again so I'm back in business.  Let me know.

-Mike
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
Mike,

First up, your PMs did come through.  We have just done some software changes in the background that will hopefully reduce this sort of problem - might take a little while to bed down.

If anyone does experience problems, let us know.  I would also direct you to my previous advice re this sort of issue:  I have found the best thing when this ( or similar happens - e.g when posting a reply) is the simply reload the page.  It will usually tell you that it has already sent the message then.  Not a solution I know, but something until we properly fix this.  The same goes for PMs - in fact, if you check your sent folder (assuming you have ticked the appropriate box), you will find the offending PM already sitting there 98% of the time.

With regard to the website request, I will send you a PM.

Regards,

Greg

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »
I have a couple of people looking into this - anyone else?

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
As long as we have a thread here, would it be all right to post some concept ideas for the new pages and forum look here?

The reason is two fold, first, it would be in line with the whole democracy idea behind BTS but also, it might actually work better putting here and also asking questions and getting opinions, versus doing so by PM's. I have just made the discovery that about 1/3 or more of the PM's that I am sending others or theirs intended for me are not getting to destination at all- dropping into limbo somewhere. By the way, this is NOT unique to BTS and it happens on most of the 7 other SMF type forums I frequent.

Just would like a green light from GTX' before I put the first of a ongoing stream of new front page and other ideas here for everyone to throw tomatoes at.  ;)

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
   Just would like a green light from GTX' before I put the first of a ongoing stream of new front page and other ideas here for everyone to throw tomatoes at.  ;)

The light is Green :)

Frank, do you also want to post your suggestion here as well?

Regards,

Greg

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
Allrighty then. Here is a first design for a different front page. This is a concept and not a final. My sketch style is very detailed because it is more based on designing versus creative arts. This could be used in two ways and a lot of that would be determined by how SMF forums work and if they can place links and buttons underneath graphic pieces or defined geographies versus only onto text lines. If anything can be hyperlinked then this could be a entirely graphic front page OR a upper part where those who would like to select graphically can use it but the regular forum in chart structure layout is still there below.

Be critical but in doing so, provide your own ideas of what you think it should be, ideas are hard to come by, graphics are easy.

Behind each door would be further graphics at the next page, depending on each area.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:21:11 AM by RussC »