Author Topic: F-14D “Bombcat” VF-31 CAG “OIF”  (Read 2562 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
F-14D “Bombcat” VF-31 CAG “OIF”
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
Gosh it seems to have been forever since I've been on here let alone posted anything...I do apologise.

I actually have quite a few new builds since last on here, plus I have seemed to have also moved to the dark side.....well dirty side and have gotten into AFV's!!!  :o

Anyway, this is the latest beast to emerge from the "Flugeugwerke".

This was built as part of the Grumman GB. This plan was originally to build Hasegawa's 1/48th F-14D with Aires Cockpit and Avionix’s “Bombcat” Update/Conversion kit. But as luck would have it I won the monthly raffle at my local IPMS and took home Tamiya’s awesome new 1/48th  F-14D!!

I can’t rave enough about this model, it’s truly beautiful and without doubt one of the nicest models I’ve ever built. I had planned for her to be an OBB but she needed a few extras to her just to finish her off. The OEM wheels are rubber/metal and rubber wheels only look good for a year or two before they start to perish. The ejector seats and exhaust cans just lack detail when compared to the rest of the model and sort of let it down, so they were replaced.

For such fine detail throughout the model I needed a paint to capture this and Mr Paint Acrylic Lacquers are just incredible!! They go on so fine straight from the bottle and give a perfect finish. Best of all you don’t loose detail, in spots there are 18 layers of paint and the detail is still super crisp, I so love this paint.

The only let down on the whole project was the decals, they were a bit old and for the Revell/Hasegawa model, which I found didn’t fit or line up correctly in a few very noticeable spots!

But in the end I’m super happy with the results, I know I’ll have to build another one of these models, maybe an F-14A next time……..or maybe their 1/32nd version!!

Thanks for looking and please enjoy.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:32:45 AM by trickyrich »

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: F-14D “Bombcat” VF-31 CAG “OFI”
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
WOW that is one good-looking F-14 - and I do like it to be of VF-31 (not any particular but I've build a F-4J of VF-31)  8)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
I'm surprised Mr Tomcat hasn't seen this beauty yet! It'd certainly get his rapt attention!

Talk about a crisp, clean build! Exceptionally well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
NiceTomcat.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »
Fantastic job, mate! 8) :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
That’s a stunning paint job you’ve done there, well done!
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
Beautiful model and a stunning build.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
Nice work
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: F-14D “Bombcat” VF-31 CAG “OIF”
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 07:07:27 AM »
Really great paintwork! :-*