Author Topic: Shot-up B17  (Read 4590 times)

Hammerhead

Shot-up B17
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:09 AM »
Hello all, I'm Chris and I was invited here by Brian, who knows me from elsewhere.

I'm not much of a kit basher - not to the extent that most of you clearly are - so I'm not too sure how much I have or do that would be of interest to you. But Brian reckoned you'd be interested in this...

It's a battle-damaged B-17G in 1:48, hit by flak and 30mm cannon.

It's the standard Revell kit, sprayed in aluminum and then the military colors laid over it. 2000-grit sandpaper was lightly used to pull out out the detail and simulated paint wear. It was then treated to a dark wash, pastels and a drybrush for exhausts. Battle damage was done with a Dremel and a hot needle (and a lighter for the #1 prop).

Destroyed parts like the left stabiliser and left wingtip were fashioned from thin Evergreen sheet. Individual threads of copper wire were added to simulate internal cabling etc.

Anyway I hope you like it and I've already enjoyed some of the real creativity I've seen here.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Shot-up B17
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:28:27 AM »
Few here are as much of kitbashers as Brian is!  Welcome to our corner of the interwebs!  It's very nice, I like some models with some wear and tear and yours has more than most!

I hope you like it here at BtS!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:26 AM »
Chris, I like the battle damage! The nice thing about this group is we don't discriminate, we like stock out of box as well.  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »
Welcome to BTS, Chris! It's a treat for me to see your battle-damaged B-17 again! This is one beauty I can never get enough of!

I think you did an excellent job replicating all those cannon and flak hits! This one looks like the featured guest star in Twelve O'Clock High!

Excellent work!

Brian da Basher

Hammerhead

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
Thanks all.

I've seen some of Brian's bashes and I thought that the "civillianised" bombers were particularly interesting. But overall there's a load of talent here and I look forward to learning new techniques and skills.

One last thing as part of my introduction: I usually like to work big...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »
And when he says BIG, he don't mean 1/48 scale either!

That's a new angle I don't remember seeing first time around, Chris. It really shows off all your hard work on the wings!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
Nice work! What scale is the BAe 146?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Hammerhead

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »
Hi apophenia. I actually couldn't remember, so I went back and looked at my blueprints. It's 1:24. Here's a few more angles. If you're a member over at Airliners.net, you may have seen them before...looong ago. I've been working on this for so long - about 2.5 years - that we've redecorated since (thank God);

There's a 1:144 model in this picture for scale. The completed jet on the right is an A319. Don't ask me what the scale was - something like 1:30 I think?

I also have blueprints in the same scale for a 747-400, but some load testing has shown that it would have to be of lighter construction than this. Also, I would need to find a home for it when it was done, otherwise it would just rot away in my garage's loft.

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
Ahhh, T-Tail...   That is so cool in 1:24.  Love the way you have completely dispensed with any need for model kits in this way!  Gutsy!
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
...  Love the way you have completely dispensed with any need for model kits in this way! ...

Unless he's doing the BAe 146QT and the cargo will be 1:24 cars :o  Amazing stuff!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Hammerhead

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM »
Ahhh, T-Tail...   That is so cool in 1:24.  Love the way you have completely dispensed with any need for model kits in this way!  Gutsy!

Thank you!

This bloody thing has sat idle for far too long now, and I'm inspired to finish it now (once I finish the 1:24 London bus that the missus bought me for Christmas).

One thing I've never been happy with is the gear. What you see here is the 3rd attempt and it just doesn't look right, so I'm going to delete it and model the bird in flight. A shame since I built and detailed the bays.

I have a question about the engines, but I'll ask that in the correct subforum.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
Welcome aboard.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Hammerhead

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:07 AM »
Muchos gracias. :)