Author Topic: Fictional Bomb Shape  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Fictional Bomb Shape
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:01:01 AM »
Several years ago I was blessed with a few extra 1:48th scale Little Boy Mk 1 shapes.  I was not interested in using these things as molded to represent nuclear weapons so I opted to modify them into something large and bomb like in appearance that could pass for an antishipping mine or an ASW depth bomb.  The attached images demonstrate what modifications were done to the parts from the Monogram B-29 kit. 

Image 1 depicts the bomb shape as stock from the kit and assembled. 

Image 2 represents the bomb shape after modifications were made to it.  The modifications consisted of removing the short stem between the bomb body and the tail fins.  The fins were sanded flush with the box fin assembly and this in turn was attached to the end of the bomb body at the apex of the truncated cone that makes up the rear of the bomb shape.  The radar fuzing features were removed and the entire bomb body was sanded smooth.  The end result is a slightly shorter bomb shape that can be used as a fictional weapon to portray something nuclear or conventional.  All depends on what you want to do with it.  This same process could also be applied to the 1:72nd scale Little Boy shape supplied with some of the Academy B-29 kits.  Though I suspect the cost might outweigh the attainability of multiple weapons. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Fictional Bomb Shape
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »
  Though I suspect the cost might outweigh the attainability of multiple weapons.

It looks simple enough to cast Jeff ---  ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:49 AM »
As a strictly impertinent question, if this bomb was based on a shortened Little Boy, would it be a "Less Johnson"?

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:10 AM »
 ;D ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:26 AM »
As a strictly impertinent question, if this bomb was based on a shortened Little Boy, would it be a "Less Johnson"?

I suppose you could apply that name if it were to be performing a role as a nuclear shape :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg