Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367094 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Logan's Profiles - Japanese A9He1-N "Wade" Floatplane
« Reply #300 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
Gorgeous! Hellova difference over those three years too  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #301 on: January 01, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
That is a spectacular profile! Makes me want to build it.

Great concept which warrants a styrene likeness being built.

For pacific theater part of Luft 46  ???

Thanks, finsrin!  You could actually build this one.  With an F-15A Reporter or XP-61E conversion kit, you could do a pretty straightforward one.

I think I'll be able to do at least one for Luft '46.

If you're planning on some schemes for that beauitful bird, can I suggest Russian VVS?  Would be perfect for Siberian patrols.

Hmm, maybe a Soviet one later, but a service aircraft might be a bit tougher to manage...

Thanks everyone for the very kind words!  I hope you will like some of those that I'll be doing later, too!  The next profile shouldn't take quite as long to do.  ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »
Great concept which warrants a styrene likeness being built.

For pacific theater part of Luft 46  ???

Thanks, finsrin!  You could actually build this one.  With an F-15A Reporter or XP-61E conversion kit, you could do a pretty straightforward one.

I think I'll be able to do at least one for Luft '46.

Mike West over at Lone Star Models has created a P-61E conversion kit in 1/72 and 1/48.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
That is simply stunning!!!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
Damn!!  What can I say, Logan?  That's truly gorgeous and enticing.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:13 AM »
Thanks, guys!  Service variants next!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:39 AM »
Looking forward to seeing these!  Top notch work logan. :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
fantastic work! Love the subtle metalwork!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #308 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
So, to model this we'd keep the 20mm cannon in the belly and install .50 cal. machine guns in the nose?  I presume a quartet of them?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:32:56 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Actually, this one has both.  4x .50s and 4x 20mm.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
So, to model this we'd keep the 20mm cannon in the belly and install .50 cal. machine guns in the nose?  I resume a quartet of them?

Yes, you'd need to keep the belly guns too. The first prototype P-61E had it arranged in a square, the second and future production has it like we have here, with the center two higher, like this: _--_

I'm working on the nose markings for the first service one we're doing. I think it's going to rock you all.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
In case anyone was wondering Adobe Photoshop CS5 doesn't handle right-to-left languages very well. Fun times.   ::)

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »
In case anyone was wondering Adobe Photoshop CS5 doesn't handle right-to-left languages very well. Fun times.   ::)

Cheers,

Logan

Excuses, excuses!  Just hurry up and finish! ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
Are you making a profile for the dislexian air force?  :P
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »
Ton mi on.

Nagol

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
Well, I just finished my first entry for the Desert GB, but I still need to write up the full backstory, get it exported in the various sizes, upload it, etc.

If I can find a free couple of hours tomorrow, you guys should get to see it then.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #316 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
Here's my first finished entry for the Desert Warfare GB, a Martin B-51B Panther operated by 110 Squadron, "Knights of the North" of the Israeli Defence Forces, Air Force.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

By the mid-1960s, the Israeli Defence Force/Air Force (IDF/AF) fleet of attack aircraft was in dire need of replacement.  Ideally, Israel wanted to replace its light attack aircraft with a single type and the heavy attack aircraft (Vautour and Super Mystère) with another.  While the IDF/AF eventually settled on the A-4 for its light attack requirement, the US proposed the Martin B-51 Panther for the heavy attack role.

Ironically, this was not the first time the IDF/AF looked at acquiring the B-51.  Ten years earlier, Israel signed a deal to purchase 24 Canadair-manufactured Sabres and an equal number of Canadair-manufactured Panthers.  The deal fell through as a result of the 1956 Suez Crisis, international pressure seeing the Canadians cancel both deals and accepting the aircraft into their own RCAF.  As a result, the IDF/AF was forced to acquire the Super Mystère and Vautour instead.  This both worked for and against the B-51B in the American proposal, many IDF officers relishing the idea of finally getting the aircraft they'd always wanted.  However, they were also keenly aware of the fact that this was 10 years later and they would be receiving second-hand aircraft that had already seen their best days.  The American proposal was quite reasonable, though, the cost per airframe for the large, refurbished B-51Bs being less than that of the new A-4s the IDF/AF also had its sights on.

The aircraft were reconditioned and delivered just too late for the 1967 Six Day War, some IDF pilots being in conversion courses when the war started.  Following the war deliveries promptly began, the first aircraft arriving at the end of the year.  Unlike the Skyhawks—which were sealed and shipped overseas—the Panthers were flown to Israel, refueling both in midair and at stops along the way.  The first unit to receive the aircraft was the 110 Squadron, "The Knights of the North", trading in their Vautours and transitioning rather smoothly.  The aircraft proved popular with the Israeli pilots, but many in Israel felt that the aircraft was a white elephant.  Indeed, compared especially to its stablemate, the A-4, the B-51 consumed jet fuel, spare parts, runway, and ramp space at a staggering rate with little apparent advantage in range or payload over the A-4 to show for it.  It wouldn't be long before the B-51 Panther would be called upon to justify the extra care it required.

The B-51 Panther would first see service with the IDF/AF during the War of Attrition.  During this period, the aircraft saw significant action with 110 Squadron, numerous aircraft being hit by anti-aircraft fire, but none were lost.  The vulnerability of the A-4 to both anti-aircraft fire and surface-to-air missiles was made apparent.  The B-51, by comparison, had armor protecting the engines and crew, had the redundancy provided by three engines, and had the tail surfaces placed well away from the engine exhaust.  Despite its size, the B-51 was considered to be easy to maintain, arm, and refuel.  Perhaps most importantly the B-51 Panther was very fast in a bomb run.  The enclosed, rotating bomb bay allowed the B-51 to take up to 8,500 lbs of bombs over a target at 550 kts drop it accurately at high speed, and get back safely.

The Panther saw its greatest combat with the Israeli Air Force during the Yom Kippur War.  In the extensive combat that the aircraft saw, a number of aircraft were lost to SA-2 SAMs, but the B-51's ability to absorb punishment from both AAA and SA-7 shoulder-launched SAMs was considered a great asset in the close air support (CAS) role.  Due to the mounting losses of all types during the Yom Kippur War, however, the United States authorized the immediate transfer of a number of F-4s, A-4s, and B-51s as emergency aid.  These replacement aircraft plus some additional purchases following the war allowed Israel to replace the Super Mystères of 105 Squadron completely after the Yom Kippur War.  These two units would continue to fly B-51s throughout the 1970s.

Click here to view the full build thread.  Israeli B-51B Panther Build Thread - Yom Kippur War

Cheers,

Logan

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
B-51s are cool  8)
Great profile and story.  :)
Found 1/72 B-51 vacuform at swap meet.  Will try cheap-simple vacuform(s) before B-51 build.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #318 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
Very, very good

« Reply #319 on: January 19, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
Great job! Israeli colours really suit the Panther.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
That just simply works.    Yessireebob it does. 
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »
Israeli colours really suit the Panther.

They really do! Nice work Logan  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
Very good job, the israeli B-51!!!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Israeli colours really suit the Panther.

They really do! Nice work Logan  :)

I was really pleased with how it turned out.  It was one that I wanted to do and I'm glad I got around to it sooner than later.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  I'm planning on getting another profile done for the Desert Warfare GB, so watch this space!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
In case anyone didn't see it, here's your chance to help me decide what my next project will be.  I've posted a poll on the Desert Warfare GB thread.

Cheers,

Logan