Author Topic: What if the StuG III idea survived?  (Read 20091 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: What if the StuG III idea survived?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
How it was meant to operate on the offensive was somewhat of a mystery to me.

The only way I can see it is fire and movement bounds, one vehicle sprinting to the next firing point while covered by the second, with pairs of vehicles working with other pairs, providing mutual support.  I think rapid acceleration may have been the reason for the GT.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
How it was meant to operate on the offensive was somewhat of a mystery to me.

The only way I can see it is fire and movement bounds, one vehicle sprinting to the next firing point while covered by the second, with pairs of vehicles working with other pairs, providing mutual support.  I think rapid acceleration may have been the reason for the GT.

That'd work, particularly on broken, open plains/steppes.  In far northern Sweden which is covered in forest and marsh?  Still not sure.   However, you've given me an idea...  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Saw a series on NetFlix not long ago which included a description of battle from a StuG commander & they used them almost like tanks. They were, apparently, quite manoeuvrable & able to bring their guns to bear as fast as the T-34's they were opposing. Their problems came if forced to withdraw from the battle, as to keep their guns on the enemy they had to reverse all the way.

Of course, you have to remember that, unlike S-tanks, they had limited traverse & the full range of elevation on the gun.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Saw a series on NetFlix not long ago which included a description of battle from a StuG commander & they used them almost like tanks. They were, apparently, quite manoeuvrable & able to bring their guns to bear as fast as the T-34's they were opposing. Their problems came if forced to withdraw from the battle, as to keep their guns on the enemy they had to reverse all the way.

Of course, you have to remember that, unlike S-tanks, they had limited traverse & the full range of elevation on the gun.

In battle the idea is to keep you frontal armour facing the enemy.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »

In battle the idea is to keep you frontal armour facing the enemy.

Yep, but sometimes you just have to turn tail & run as fast as you can or get chewed up & spat out.

Oops, forgot a line: In a turreted tank you could then, at least, turn the turret & fire at the enemy to keep them occupied while you bolted - couldn't do that in a StuG.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:29:15 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »
The S-tank takes care of that problem by having it's auxiliary driver face to the rear.  It allows it to drive as fast in reverse as forward.  This makes retreats much easier.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 04:05:38 AM »
Thinking of the gun from the Sheridan or M60A2. Minus the missile of course. That round might work well for infantry support.

Include the missile so your StuG can have a long-range anti-tank capability in addition to the usual role of BSU.  :)

BSU = Blowing Shit Up

Maybe do this in the form of a Kanonenjagdpanzer with the M81/MGM-51 instead of the 90mm gun.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »
Thinking of the gun from the Sheridan or M60A2. Minus the missile of course. That round might work well for infantry support.

Include the missile so your StuG can have a long-range anti-tank capability in addition to the usual role of BSU.  :)

BSU = Blowing Shit Up

Maybe do this in the form of a Kanonenjagdpanzer with the M81/MGM-51 instead of the 90mm gun.

Although, a 90mm gun with modern ammunition could be quite convincing on the battlefield. Maybe with a Bradley style TOW launcher. 
Maybe with more internal room than the M551 to be able to carry more rounds.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:47:02 AM by kerick »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 03:14:45 AM »
Maybe.  I'm not sure of the internal layout/space etc for the Kanonenjagdpanzer so can't say.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.