Author Topic: AUSTRALIA's First Strategic Bomber, The Gloster Goatsucker  (Read 3023 times)

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
AUSTRALIA's First Strategic Bomber, The Gloster Goatsucker
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
I have not yet digitized the full backstory, but this Goatsucker was part of the "Tiger Force" of strategic bombers slated for Singapore to cow the Japanese just prior to WW II. In short, the only known "successful" sabotage of the war (doctoring blueprints for DeHavilland Mosquito fuselages to be built by Gloster of Canada) led to accidentally oversized Mosquito fuselages that were subsequently altered and mated to Lancaster wing/engines. These aircraft were equipped with "Upkeep"-like bouncing mines to deter Japanese fleet advances in Indonesia. The RAAF had several on hand in Singapore, but a Japanese bombing raid wiped out all but one (subject of model-"Danger Down Under").

My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline Nexus1171

• SC
  • I go by many names...you may know one...
Re: AUSTRALIA's First Strategic Bomber, The Gloster Goatsucker
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:52:59 AM »
That's amazing: You have any other pictures from different angles?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:21 AM »
Unfortunately, sequoiaranger passed away, so more pics won't be forthcoming. Still, the fact that this post caused you to reply five years later is a testament to his enduring modeling legacy.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 03:19:54 AM »
We expect that Sequoiaranger already has some outstanding creations awaiting our close inspection in years to come...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.