Author Topic: Air-to-air missiles  (Read 6819 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Air-to-air missiles
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:17:29 AM »
A thread for your air-to-air missile related questions, ideas etc
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Air-to-air missiles
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:19:58 AM »
To start with, what if the US decided to do similar to the USSR and have both IR and SARH guided versions of their missiles.  I know there were such for the aIM-4 and even the AIM-9 albeit the latter in small numbers.  What about a IR guided AIM-7 though?

There was the dual mode seeker AIM/RIM-7R which integrated a passive infrared seeker in its radome for terminal guidance but this isn't quite the same thing.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
That would be an interesting whiff to model.  I wonder if you'd use a scaled-up version of an early model Sidewinder seeker, or one of the later versions?

Or how about the British doing the same thing with their IR-guided missiles and developing SARH versions?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:09:32 AM »
That would be an interesting whiff to model.  I wonder if you'd use a scaled-up version of an early model Sidewinder seeker, or one of the later versions?

Depends on the era I suppose.

Or how about the British doing the same thing with their IR-guided missiles and developing SARH versions?

Well, the British did propose a variant of the IR guided Red Top called Blue Dolphin (or Blue Jay Mk. V,) using SARH for capability similar to the AIM-7 Sparrow, but it was cancelled.  In an alternate reality, one could see British birds (such as the Sea Vixen below) carrying a pair of IR guided Red Tops and a pair of SARH guided Blue Dolphins ala Soviet style:

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
Seeing that America adopted the AGM-78 Standard ARM, which itself was adapted from the RIM-66 SM-1 Standard SAM missile to an air-to-air missile - AIM-97 Seekbat to counter the perceived capabilities of the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat and to arm both the F-15 Eagle and F-4 Phantom II, could the British adapt it's Sea Dart SAM likewise??

M.A.D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 02:36:55 PM by M.A.D »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »
Thanks to War Thunder I found a renewed interest in the SRAAM.  One version of the Hawker Hunter in game is available with a pair of SRAAM Tail Dog AAM pods containing two missiles each.  While the game play is a bit dodgy at times the podded missiles are very interesting and got me to wondering about how to come up with my own interpretation of this weapon based on parts I have in the spares box.  Now mind you, the bits I had were acquired years ago from several Hasegawa and Fujimi 1:48th scale Hughes/MDD/Boeing 500/OH-6 Cayuse kits that contained the optional TOW missile system where the missiles were enclosed in a streamlined pod shape containing two missiles each.  I had the bits sitting for years before taking time out to trim them up and glue the pods back to back and created something interesting but yet without purpose.  After War Thunder released the Hawker Hunter/SRAAM version for the game it dawned on me that maybe my missile pod could pass for something similar for the Hunter or some other aircraft from the period. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »
Some photos of the SRAAM Tail Dog installation you are talking about for those unaware:

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »
I believe ASRAAM was developed from Taildog.  I recall reading that one of the development shots turned so quickly after firing, it almost took the nose off the Hunter that fired it.

The thing I liked about the design was the launch tube, making a retractable pod, as used for air to air rockets, a possibility.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:26:13 AM »
I believe Tail Dog led to SRAAM which in turn led to ASRAAM.

Another photo:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:27:48 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
Tail Dog was a US programme.  SRAAM was a British programme.  Both were in competition to each other.  Tail Dog was IIRC dropped in favour of improved Sidewinders.  SRAAM dropped in favour of a joint European programme which was ASRAAM. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 02:01:17 AM »
Tail Dog was a US programme.  SRAAM was a British programme.  Both were in competition to each other.  Tail Dog was IIRC dropped in favour of improved Sidewinders.  SRAAM dropped in favour of a joint European programme which was ASRAAM.

Errr...no,  The Taildog we are referring to here was a British program by Hawker Siddeley Dynamics:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%202623.html
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%202212.html
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1970/1970%20-%200716.html?search=taildog

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:00 AM »
How about scale-o-rama'ing air-to-air missiles? In some cases, the airframes would lend themselves well to applications in bigger (or smaller) scales.

For example:

J32-Lansen-AIM-4-Falcon-at-different-scales by Motschke, on Flickr

The small AIM-4 Falcon looks tiny on a Lansen in the same scale. The 1/48 version looks quite usable. The 1/32 version might be too big even for a big (biggish) fighter like the Lansen. Or it could be a version with quite a long range.

I suppose this would work just as well for air-to-surface missiles.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 09:20:19 AM »
Alex, I'll take 1/48 AIM-4 Falcon on 1/72 J32 Lansen for $500 please.*

Thanks for putting this together. 

* It's "Jeopardy" Joke
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
Interesting scalorama study.   One for lower cost practice firing.   Standard  version.   Long range version.    :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »
How about scale-o-rama'ing air-to-air missiles? In some cases, the airframes would lend themselves well to applications in bigger (or smaller) scales.
<snip>
The small AIM-4 Falcon looks tiny on a Lansen in the same scale. The 1/48 version looks quite usable. The 1/32 version might be too big even for a big (biggish) fighter like the Lansen. Or it could be a version with quite a long range. 

The 1:48th Falcon on your 1:72nd scale Lansen looks the best of the three.  A shame I don't have any 1:32nd scale Falcons to test out on my 1:48th scale Lansens. 

I suppose this would work just as well for air-to-surface missiles.
@Moritz --- The Lansen was capable of carrying a pair of the RB-04 AShM and those things are not tiny.  Your 1:32nd scale AIM-4 Falcon could work but perhaps a distant cousin of the Falcon might serve your purposes better (AGM-65 Maverick).  Or if you chose to stay with the Falcon, for use as an AAM then by all means, keep it and make it so. 

=======================================================================================
@nobody in particular but in regards to the ASRAAM/Tail Dog:

Errr...no,  The Taildog we are referring to here was a British program by Hawker Siddeley Dynamics:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1968/1968%20-%202623.html
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%202212.html
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1970/1970%20-%200716.html?search=taildog
I have a number of TOW missile launchers sourced from the 1:48th scale Hasegawa, Fujimi, and Academy OH-6/H-500 Cayuse helicopter kits that have been taking up space with no particular purpose until now.  A few years back I took a pair from each of the kits and assembled the aerodynamic shell that covered the TOW missile container/tube and glued the halves back to back.  The end result appeals to my interests in weapons but had not really put the concept any further until realizing that the ASRAAM is about the same diameter (in the tube) as the TOW missile so now I have three sets of what-if ASRAAM launchers that need the holes filled so they appear to be loaded.  The other TOW missile launcher parts are not really compatible with the concept I have in mind so were not used.  When I get the chance, I will get an image or two of the things as they are now to share. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:19:53 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:42 AM »
Interesting discussion.  Of course in the real world you essentially see this (visually at least) with the following:

AIM-4:

Length   1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)
Diameter   163 mm (6.4 in)

AIM-54:

Length   4.0 m (13 ft)
Diameter   380 mm(15 in)

And other variations including the AAM-N-10 Eagle (one you lose the booster):

Length   3.53 m (11 ft 7 in) without booster
Diameter   360 mm (14 in )

AGM-65 Maverick (as Jeff mentioned):

Length   249 cm (8 ft 2 in)
Diameter   30 cm (12 in)

AGM-124 Wasp:

Length : 1.52 m (5 ft)
Diameter : 20 cm (8 in)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 02:37:20 AM »
Random idea:

MIM-72 Chaparral but with AIM-4 derived missiles rather than AIM-9

but with these:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 02:28:29 AM »
A short video put out by the USAF AFRL on their MUTANT (Missile UtilityTransformation via Articulated Nose Technology) program.  Catchy name MUTANT but it deserves to be called something much more related to what it does.  Something with a lot of SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS's perhaps?  SSSSSSSnake?  :smiley:

YouTube video link: Youtube > AFResearchLab Channel >  AFRL MUTANT

(Image source: USAF AFRL MUTANT)

Link to USAF AFRL MUTANT Fact File and PDF download link

In the video above one of the test units is shown on a high-speed test track and the seeker is attached/mated to the motor section of an AGM-114 Hellfire missile.  The animation in the video showing the MUTANT intercepting a cruise missile appears to be based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM.  I am going to guess that the flexible connection is the same diameter for both missiles which does make sense since the AIM-120 and AGM-114 are roughly the same diameter. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
I like that! :smiley:

Perhaps some small fins on the head to improve tracking onto the target? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
I have some huge 1/32nd scale Phoenix missiles I’m trying to reimagine as maybe long range cruise missiles or some such thing. In 1/72 scale they would be ginormous. Or some crappy ancient Tamiya 1/48th scale Mavericks. Any thoughts? The Phoenixes are nicely detailed so if someone can make good use of them I’ll send them along.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2023, 11:43:21 AM »
I have some huge 1/32nd scale Phoenix missiles I’m trying to reimagine as maybe long range cruise missiles or some such thing. In 1/72 scale they would be ginormous. Or some crappy ancient Tamiya 1/48th scale Mavericks. Any thoughts? The Phoenixes are nicely detailed so if someone can make good use of them I’ll send them along.
See attached image for an easy conversion of two missiles to create a larger missile.  I have done this with 1/48th and 1/32nd scale AIM-54 Phoenix and it was much easier to work with the larger 1/32nd scale parts (more to hold on to while modifying). 

The missile in the attached image is 1/48th scale from the Monogram F-14 kit.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2023, 12:18:54 PM »
That makes me think of a tank mounted ground launched Phoenix……!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2023, 01:03:04 PM »
That makes me think of a tank mounted ground launched Phoenix……!
Or find one of those odd scale Revell (now Atlantis Models) BOMARC or Nike Hercules kits.  Recommend the Nike Hercules as the launcher arm does not look out of place with the 1/32nd scale double stage Phoenix on it.